Desperately Seeking Zeniquin

Old September 23rd 03, 06:31 PM
Liz

Not a good idea. The primary culprit in speeding the fatal end of the
disease is high levels of phosphorus. The addition of the meats and
foods above would push phos levels *way* beyond what is appropriate
for a CRF cat in ANY condition. The phos levels on the suggested foods
range from 4-8 times the proper level for a CRF kitty. Urine pH of
6.8-7.2 is APPROPRIATE for a CRF kitty and is part of the proper
treatment for the same.

We´ve gone over this before. If the cat has hyperphosphataemia the
owner should worry about phosphate content in the diet, otherwise,
there´s no reason to worry. As long as blood level of phosphorus is
withing limits, it will not add to kidney damage. And in my opinion
(and I bet my life on it), it´s not the phosphorus in the diet that
causes hyperphosphataemia but metabolic acidosis. To back this up,
some CRF cats on kidney diets and phosphate binders still present
hyperphosphataemia. So, where´s the phosphorus coming from? That
excess phosphurus is coming from the bones. 80% of cats with CRF
suffer from metabolic acidosis and that should be the primary concern.
Furthermore, metabolic acidosis is much more harmful to kidneys than
hyperphosphataemia. And finally, Hill´s *recommends* giving high
quality meat to CRF cats and the meat they recommend is raw beef
liver.

High creatine and BUN are also caused by metabolic acidosis.

Old September 23rd 03, 06:36 PM
Liz

I did a Google search on Zeniquim and got many online drugstores
selling the product. Here´s one:

http://www.destinationrx.com/petpres...?name=Zeniquin

The B vitamins are also sold in tablets, here I find them in very
small tablets, almost the size of a pill. My cats swollow it with not
resistance. I wonder if you can find it that small there? There´s also
the liquid form that you can try. Cats with CRF should always be given
extra Bs.

Old September 23rd 03, 09:04 PM
Phil P.

"Liz" wrote in message
m...
Not a good idea. The primary culprit in speeding the fatal end of the
disease is high levels of phosphorus. The addition of the meats and
foods above would push phos levels *way* beyond what is appropriate
for a CRF cat in ANY condition. The phos levels on the suggested foods
range from 4-8 times the proper level for a CRF kitty. Urine pH of
6.8-7.2 is APPROPRIATE for a CRF kitty and is part of the proper
treatment for the same.

We´ve gone over this before.

So? Do you really think rational people will take your theory over the
recommendations of ACVIM Diplomates and just about the entire veterinary
community??? LOL!

....and cats fed reduced phosphorus diets *still* survive *twice* as long
(581 days).than cats fed normal phosphorus diets (252 days).

If the cat has hyperphosphataemia the
owner should worry about phosphate content in the diet, otherwise,
there´s no reason to worry. As long as blood level of phosphorus is
withing limits, it will not add to kidney damage.

..So the overwhelming vast majority of vets and ACVIM Diplomates that
recommend reducing phosphorus intake are wrong... and you're right???? LOL!
Just like your theory for dissolving calcium oxalate uroliths in cats with
*water*!!! ROTFL!!!

Studies in cats with CRF have shown that normal dietary phosphorus intake is
associated with microscopic renal mineralization and fibrosis and that these
effects are prevented by decreasing the dietary phosphorus intake. "You*
even cited the study! LOL!

And in my opinion
(and I bet my life on it),

I'm gonna hold you to that!

it´s not the phosphorus in the diet that
causes hyperphosphataemia but metabolic acidosis.

Hyperphosphatemia occurs in animals with CRF as a result of decreased renal
excretion If dietary phosphorus intake remains constant, a decline in GFR
leads to phosphorus retention and ultimately hyperphosphatemia.

..Remember your bet! I'll expect to see your name in the obituary column
tomorrow. The world for cats will be a better and safer place.

Old September 24th 03, 02:30 AM
MacCandace

http://www.destinationrx.com/petpres...?name=Zeniquin

Thank you. Unfortunately, it says "prescription required." That's where I
have a problem. I can get zeniquin readily with a prescription; I want to
obtain it *without* a prescription.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace