16 Year Old Cat

Old July 26th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

Default 16 Year Old Cat

wrote in message
ups.com...
Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better?

-----
Yes, Pepcid (famotidine). Not to exceed 5 mg per day. Ask your vet.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old July 26th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cindys" wrote
Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

----------
??? My vet prescribed aspirin for my cat to reduce his risk of blood clots
due to cardiac hypertrophy. Another vet has suggested aspirin to deal with
my cat's arthritis. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week. Are you
sure you're not thinking of Tylenol or ibuprofen (which would be deadly
for a cat)?

It is my understanding that you shouldn't give any sort of aspirin or pain
reliever for humans to cats. If I am wrong, somebody correct me.

Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or other pain
relievers for humans on their own--but I had never heard of a vet
prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.

Old July 26th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

Old July 26th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 26, 3:37 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:

Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

it is Children's chewable aspirin. it's for his arthritis, and we
were only giving him 1/4 every other day.

Old July 26th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"cybercat" wrote in message

"cindys" wrote
Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

----------
??? My vet prescribed aspirin for my cat to reduce his risk of blood
clots due to cardiac hypertrophy. Another vet has suggested aspirin to
deal with my cat's arthritis. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Tylenol or ibuprofen (which would be
deadly for a cat)?

It is my understanding that you shouldn't give any sort of aspirin or pain
reliever for humans to cats. If I am wrong, somebody correct me.

Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or other pain
relievers for humans on their own--but I had never heard of a vet
prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.

You can give them a very limited dosage for short periods of time but you
are supposed to be under direct vet supervision
It can cause hepatitis, gastric irritation, and respiratory problems

Aspirin can be fatal to cats. Aspirin should NOT be given to cats except
under direct supervision by your veterinarian.
Side Effects
May see lack of appetite, vomiting, or black or bloody stool which may be
symptoms of stomach ulcers. May cause kidney damage. Symptoms include lack
of appetite, vomiting, or an increase or decrease in water consumption. Less
commonly seen are allergic reactions, anemia, or low blood protein levels
due to blood loss

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1379

These symptoms sound very familiar

Old July 26th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Matthew" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

Sorry cat's system to break it down

Old July 26th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

ups.com...
wrote in message

oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:

Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

it is Children's chewable aspirin. it's for his arthritis, and we
were only giving him 1/4 every other day.

Ok but I am making sure it is not Acetaminophen. I don't have two legs
children you have to help me out on ingredients

Old July 26th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"cybercat" wrote in message

"cindys" wrote
Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

----------
??? My vet prescribed aspirin for my cat to reduce his risk of blood
clots due to cardiac hypertrophy. Another vet has suggested aspirin to
deal with my cat's arthritis. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Tylenol or ibuprofen (which would be
deadly for a cat)?

It is my understanding that you shouldn't give any sort of aspirin or pain
reliever for humans to cats. If I am wrong, somebody correct me.

Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or other pain
relievers for humans on their own--but I had never heard of a vet
prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.

--------
I have had several different vets recommend aspirin for several of my cats
at various times and for various conditions. I think the problem is that it
is very easy to overdose a cat. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week
(aka low-dose aspirin or baby aspirin). I think the concern is that out of
ignorance a person may not realize how much is too much and either give the
cat a standard human dose of aspirin which is a 325 mg tablet and/or may
dose the cat daily rather than only twice a week and/or may mistakenly give
the cat Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (ibuprofen) rather than aspirin.
Both of these are toxic AFAIK. So, yes, I suspect that the warnings you have
been reading are about protecting cats from their well-meaning albeit
sometimes ignorant humans. But it is not unusual for vets to prescribe
aspirin for cats provided the human understands all of the above.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old July 26th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 26, 3:51 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 26, 3:37 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:

Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

it is Children's chewable aspirin. it's for his arthritis, and we
were only giving him 1/4 every other day.

Ok but I am making sure it is not Acetaminophen. I don't have two legs
children you have to help me out on ingredients- Hide quoted text -

active ingredients are - aspirin 81 mg, and that's all it says.

Old July 26th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Matthew" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

-----
Matthew, Tylenol is acetaminophen, NOT aspirin.
Best regards,
--Cindy S.