16 Year Old Cat

Old July 26th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

Default 16 Year Old Cat

On Thu 26 Jul 2007 06:28:55p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or
other pain relievers for humans on their own--but I had never
heard of a vet prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.

I agree never do it on your own without the vet saying so, just like
anything else. That said, when Scarlett was spayed and had
complications due to an allergy or whatever it was to her internal
sutures, vet prescribed 1/4 low dose aspirin every other day until
she stopped walking funny. Since she had a drain in her by then it
was only for about a week and a half before she had a huge
improvement. The walking funny was my first clue that she had
complications; she was in pain.

--
Cheryl

Old July 27th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Thu 26 Jul 2007 06:28:55p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or
other pain relievers for humans on their own--but I had never
heard of a vet prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.

I agree never do it on your own without the vet saying so, just like
anything else. That said, when Scarlett was spayed and had
complications due to an allergy or whatever it was to her internal
sutures, vet prescribed 1/4 low dose aspirin every other day until
she stopped walking funny. Since she had a drain in her by then it
was only for about a week and a half before she had a huge
improvement. The walking funny was my first clue that she had
complications; she was in pain.

I see. Thanks, Cheryl.

Old July 27th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote

You can give them a very limited dosage for short periods of time but you
are supposed to be under direct vet supervision
It can cause hepatitis, gastric irritation, and respiratory problems

Aspirin can be fatal to cats. Aspirin should NOT be given to cats except
under direct supervision by your veterinarian.
Side Effects
May see lack of appetite, vomiting, or black or bloody stool which may be
symptoms of stomach ulcers. May cause kidney damage. Symptoms include lack
of appetite, vomiting, or an increase or decrease in water consumption.
Less commonly seen are allergic reactions, anemia, or low blood protein
levels due to blood loss

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1379

These symptoms sound very familiar

So when vets do prescribe it they need to make sure owners know all of this.
Too many people assume that if a little bit is good a lot is even better.

Old July 27th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"cindys" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

-----
Matthew, Tylenol is acetaminophen, NOT aspirin.
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

Yes I know thank you ;-) but I did not know what is in children's aspirin.
There are many cheap versions of aspirin that say they are aspirin but are
actually acetaminophen that is what I am making sure of. I don't have young
kids so I don't keep any in stock but I got bottles of aspirin that is
actually are acetaminophen tablets

Old July 27th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:51 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 26, 3:37 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:

Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately
and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

it is Children's chewable aspirin. it's for his arthritis, and we
were only giving him 1/4 every other day.

Ok but I am making sure it is not Acetaminophen. I don't have two legs
children you have to help me out on ingredients- Hide quoted text -

active ingredients are - aspirin 81 mg, and that's all it says.

Ok it is not the other which I was worried about
Cindy posted about this so in limited dosages it can be ok. But one of the
side effects is gastric irritation I listed the side effects in a reply in
this thread to cybercat so it could be a culprit of the problem

Old July 27th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:37:49 -0400, Matthew wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com... On Jul 26,
3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

This point should be clarified I think.

Aspirin is a single, specific chemical, acetylsalicylic acid. Tylenol is
a different chemical, acetaminophen.

According to veterinary web sites, acetaminophen should never be given to
cats, but aspirin can be given to cats subject to important caveats,
i.e., low dosage and less-than-daily administration. 1/4 baby aspirin
every other day may be a safe dose.

However, if this cat is ill and the vet isn't taking it seriously,
certainly it would be good to find one who does.

Charlie

Old July 27th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is toxic to cats! If you are sure that is what your vet prescribed,
then it's time to change vets. Immediately.

MaryL

Old July 27th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Matthew" wrote in message

wrote in message

snip

active ingredients are - aspirin 81 mg, and that's all it says.

Ok it is not the other which I was worried about
Cindy posted about this so in limited dosages it can be ok. But one of
the side effects is gastric irritation I listed the side effects in a
reply in this thread to cybercat so it could be a culprit of the problem

-------
You won't get any argument from regarding the possibility of gastric
irritation from aspirin. If Sammy were my cat, I don't think I would give
him the aspirin for this reason.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old July 27th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Matthew" wrote in message

"cindys" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

-----
Matthew, Tylenol is acetaminophen, NOT aspirin.
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

Yes I know thank you ;-) but I did not know what is in children's aspirin.
There are many cheap versions of aspirin that say they are aspirin but are
actually acetaminophen that is what I am making sure of.

Are you sure the bottle says "aspirin?" (Bonafide aspirin is actually much
cheaper than acetaminophen)

I don't have young kids so I don't keep any in stock but I got bottles of
aspirin that is actually are acetaminophen tablets

Not to start an argument over this, but I find it difficult to believe that
you have bottles of medicine that say "Aspirin" on the label but then when
you read the ingredients, you see "acetaminophen." This would be completely
illegal and would lead to lawsuits up the wahzoo for anyone who might have
an allergy to acetaminophen. These are two completely different, unrelated
medications. For one thing, aspirin is an anti-inflammatory and
acetaminophen isn't. It would be like having a bottle of medicine that is
labeled "penicillin" but it really contains metronidazole. They are both
antibiotics, but they have totally different chemical structures, different
mechanisms of action, are effective against different organisms. Are you
sure the bottle doesn't say something like "Children's pain reliever"? Can
you check? If what you are telling me is for real, I will be making a ton of
phone calls come tomorrow morning, I promise you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.