Chester got skunked

Old June 6th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Default Chester got skunked

Oh oh - one of the resident skunks got Chester tonight.

He stinks. Badly.

Fred points out that washing a dog in tomato juice has got to be vastly
preferable to washing a cat in tomato juice.

Has this happened to anyone else's cat? Any ideas? Will he just groom
it off?

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old June 6th 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Susan M wrote:

Oh oh - one of the resident skunks got Chester tonight.

He stinks. Badly.

Fred points out that washing a dog in tomato juice has got to be vastly
preferable to washing a cat in tomato juice.

I'm really sorry, but LOL!! That has to be the understatement of the
century.

When I was in high school, our dog got sprayed by a skunk, and she
came inside afterward and totally stunk up the house. This was in the
middle of the night, and the smell was so bad I couldn't sleep. (It
did go away in a couple of days, though. And I don't think any tomato
juice was involved.)

De-stinkifying purrs sent your way!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 6th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

The tomato juice does help. I can't imagine trying to use it on a cat.
Gloves and dumping would have to be the order of the day.

Old June 6th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
Oh oh - one of the resident skunks got Chester tonight.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...... poor baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has this happened to anyone else's cat? Any ideas? Will he just groom
it off?

Found this on the internet:

Here's another way to get rid of skunk smell. It is reputed to be better
than the tomato juice method.

Ingredients:
1 quart (or liter) of never opened 3% Hydrogen Peroxide available in
most drug stores.
1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of liquid dish soap

Using a pair of rubber gloves mix the ingredients together IN AN OPEN
container like a bucket and watch it get fizz up. Try to see where your
pet got hit and rub the mixture well into the fur while avoiding the
eyes, and other sensitive parts like the nose and mouth. Let it stay on
for 5 minutes or longer if the smell keeps lingering. Rinse extra well.
This usually works well once but you may need to do this twice if your
pet took a particularly nasty spraying. The solution will not change the
colour of your pet's fur. DO NOT STORE or REUSE THE MIXTURE as it will
build up pressure in a closed container and possibly explode. Dump it
all after using it once.

If after your best attempts at bathing and cleaning your pet is still
very uncomfortable, especially regarding its eyes (red, watery) then a
trip to the vets is a must.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

You have my sympathies. However, it could have been worse. It could have
been Otis. Good luck giving that guy a bath! ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 6th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

In article ,
Susan M wrote:

Oh oh - one of the resident skunks got Chester tonight.

He stinks. Badly.

Fred points out that washing a dog in tomato juice has got to be vastly
preferable to washing a cat in tomato juice.

Has this happened to anyone else's cat? Any ideas? Will he just groom
it off?

My dog Bonnie got skunked once. When I washer her thoroughly in tomato
juice I had a big ping and grey dog that smelled of skunl instead of a
big white and grey dog that smelled of skunk..

Another poster has posted advice on techniaues that seem to work. In
Bonnie's case, it just took half a dozen regular shampoos and a couple
of days for the stink to disappear.
Old June 6th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 6, 1:10*am, Susan M wrote:
Oh oh - one of the resident skunks got Chester tonight.

He stinks. *Badly.

Fred points out that washing a dog in tomato juice has got to be vastly
preferable to washing a cat in tomato juice.

Has this happened to anyone else's cat? *Any ideas? *Will he just groom
it off?

Ugh. *Ugh. *Ugh.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Ewww!! Surely there's been commercial product developed by now that
beats
tomato juice. I didn't think it worked for us too well (dog sprayed,
long ago),
Wonder if it was a mama skunk protecting babies. They usually don't
spray
cats, I hear. (Unless Chester was messing with him? Naw, not
CHESTER! :=) :-)

We have a skunk about the yard, too. I kept seeing holes and thought
it was
an armadillo coming at night, but then I saw the skunk. I guess they
dig
for grubs and stuff like armadillos.

Good luck! Wish I had better advice than "It'll wear off."

Sherry
Old June 6th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 00:10:58 -0600, Susan M wrote:

Oh oh - one of the resident skunks got Chester tonight.

He stinks. Badly.

Fred points out that washing a dog in tomato juice has got to be vastly
preferable to washing a cat in tomato juice.

Has this happened to anyone else's cat? Any ideas? Will he just groom
it off?

Tomato juce is not very effective when compared with peroxide and baking
soda:

"A chemist by the name of Paul Krebaum discovered a solution that
chemically neutralizes skunk odor. The ingredients for the formulation

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle)
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1-2 teaspoons liquid dish soap.

Ingredients must be mixed in an open container and used immediately. Never
mix the ingredients in advance because oxygen released from hydrogen
peroxide may cause a closed container to explode. The solution can be used
on people or pets; avoid splashing the product in the eyes or mouth. Allow
the solution to remain on hair for five minutes before rinsing with water.
Repeat as needed. Do not use this solution on clothing - it may discolor
the fabric.
Deodorizing Techniques to Avoid

3. Although widely believed, tomato juice does not effectively neutralize
skunk odor. Users assume that tomato juice works because the odor of
tomatoes has replaced the odor of the skunk. What actually occurs, however,
is that the nose blocks out the skunk odor, allowing the person to sense
only the tomato smell."

from
http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=432

--
T.E.D. )

Old June 6th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Susan M" wrote in message
Oh oh - one of the resident skunks got Chester tonight.

He stinks. Badly.

Fred points out that washing a dog in tomato juice has got to be vastly
preferable to washing a cat in tomato juice.

Has this happened to anyone else's cat? Any ideas? Will he just groom it
off?

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Oh no! I am a pathetic urbanite, and have no idea how to help, except to
send you all purrs.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 6th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
Please video tape when you bath a cat in tomato juice ;-)

ROTFLMAO! Matthew, that was just mean (but seriously, Susan, do videotape
the proceedings)! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 6th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

Susan M wrote:

Oh oh - one of the resident skunks got Chester tonight...
Has this happened to anyone else's cat? Any ideas? Will he just groom
it off?

My vet gave us something called Skunk Off that really seems to work.
You squirt it on a rag and wipe the animal down front to back. The
dogs definitely liked it better than being bathed or squirted with
something, and I'll bet cats do too.

Deborah
slave to the gang of eight
and awfully chatty today!

Owh Chester! Lucy[_2_] Cat community 37 March 13th 08 05:28 AM
Chester Stormmee Cat anecdotes 19 January 29th 08 07:08 AM
Chester Granby Cat community 3 December 12th 07 03:26 PM
Chester goes to the BNB Stormmee Cat community 29 September 4th 07 01:18 AM
Chester got out! Susan M Cat anecdotes 8 November 4th 05 01:10 PM