Ping Phil: dental cleaning after Metacam injection?

Old March 20th 10, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default Ping Phil: dental cleaning after Metacam injection?

"Nadia N." wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:
"Nadia N." wrote in message

Wow! You sure are lucky! The safety margin of meloxicam in cats is

very,
very low. 12 drops of 1.5 mg/ml would have probably killed him. I'm so
glad you questioned it!

If you hadn't mentioned that it's not a good idea to give oral Metacam
to cats, I might not have questioned it. I would like to think that I
would have - I usually do read through anything written on the box and
on the insert inside for any medicine my cats are prescribed, but still
- what if this time I hadn't? The thought of that just makes me sick to
my stomach :-( You probably saved Kotyo's life with just that one
comment on Metacam.

If you think so, I'm glad I mentioned it. But I really think you would have
caught it.

He looks like a big fella- part Norwegian Forrest Cat. I have a gray &
white version with almost identical markings:
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_Almum_3/index.htm

He probably has some Maine Coone in him. I got him from a shelter in
Whistler. The whole litter were pretty large kittens - twice as big as
another litter of kittens that they were sharing their room with.

Your Sly is gorgeous. And he does look very similar to my little
monster. I love those pink-nosed tuxedo kitties :-)

If he's a well muscled as my cat is, the slightly increased creatiinine
might be normal for him- especially if he struggled a little while you

were
getting him the carrier. My Sly's creatinine is also a little above the
normal range and he's only 2 1/2.

He is pretty much all muscle - there's no fat on him at all. He didn't
struggle getting into the carrier - he's a good boy at home. However, he
fought ferociously when they tried to draw blood. He shredded my hands,
and the vet tech's hands too. So that might have caused his creatinine
to be higher as well...

I need to find out if the higher creatinine really means he has CRF or
if it's something that's normal for him. I've been reading up on CRF for
a week and half now, and I wrote another post with questions about what
tests I can have done to confirm or disprove that he has CRF. If you
have time, I'd really appreciate if you could take a look at it.

I will.

Phil

Nadia and Kotyo

--