Help please ! - temporarily adopted cat

Old August 3rd 05, 01:37 PM
Daytona

Default Help please ! - temporarily adopted cat

I've just taken on responsibility for a ginger tom cat for a couple of
months that would otherwise have been put to sleep. He's name's Barney
- URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/JohnsStuff/Barney1.jpg.
It's a weird situation and I don't have any experience of looking
after animals, so I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments on how to
handle it.

The cat had scratched the owner (my landlord - I live in the grounds
of her house) and infected her with an unknown poison. She's 80 years
old and has been in hospital for 2 weeks as a result. She,
understandably, doesn't want anything to do with the it anymore when
she comes home today. Her daughter (who originally rescued it as a
kitten) is buying a new house and will take it when she moves in, in a
couple of months. She currently lives near a road and feels that it
can't live there as it's not used to roads.

I've always got on well with the cat; he's always wandered in and out
of my house and I feed him when his owner goes on holiday. As I didn't
like the thought of an otherwise healthy cat being put to sleep, I
offered to look after it for the daughter and she's really grateful.

The problem I see is keeping the cat away from my landlady. It's got
plenty of space - about 4 acres, half woodland half garden but it
likes company and usually follows her about when she's in the garden.
It occasionally plays games with her, hunting her through the
undergrowth and pouncing. I think it's bored out of it's mind and does
this to entertain itself.

For the past 2 weeks it has spent much of its time with me and I feed
it at lunchtime - the daughter has been feeding it in the morning and
evening. For the first time, for 4 nights out of the last 5 it has
slept with me and has started bringing me the occasional gift of a
dead mouse/vole. The daughter has said that she normally finds dead
mice in the house, but has noticed that he isn't bringing them in
there anymore.

Does this mean that he's accepted me as his new owner ?

The cat flap on his old house has now been blocked up and I have all
his bowls, food brushes, flea treatment etc

Is it possible/fair to attempt to keep him inside all day ?

He seems to spend most of the time with me (I work from home) and the
disappear out in the evening until about midnight. It's a bit of a
pain if I want to go to bed as there's no cat-flap. Do you think I
should get one ?

I would like to help the daughter as much as possible, as she's good
with animals but has had a bad run with her other pets - one dog dying
from cancer, another dog losing the use of it's leg because of
pressure on the spine.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks for any help !

John
Old August 3rd 05, 02:24 PM
Snittens

"Daytona" wrote in message
I've just taken on responsibility for a ginger tom cat for a couple of
months that would otherwise have been put to sleep. He's name's Barney
- URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/JohnsStuff/Barney1.jpg.
It's a weird situation and I don't have any experience of looking
after animals, so I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments on how to
handle it.

snip

The indoor/outdoor question: My own personal feelings are that cats should
be indoors if the outdoor environment is not safe (predators, traffic,
neighbors who don't like cats in their yard, etc). In much of the US, this
is the case. The indoor/outdoor debate among cat owners often gets divided
along national lines on here. You have to assess the situation and
determine if this is a safe environment for the cat. It is not cruel to
keep a cat indoors. All of mine have been indoor-only for their whole lives
and don't seem to mind. They have plenty of toys and spaces to climb
inside. It might be a little tough to convert a cat who is used to going
outside though, but it can be done.

Scratching the landlord: There is a product called Soft Paws you could get
(www.softpaws.com) and put on the cat to stop him from scratching. The only
issue I see in doing this is that since he is indoor/outdoor, it might leave
him with less defenses if he were to get into a fight. Again, this is
something you need to assess. Are there other cats he is likely to get into
fights with? Does he need to ward off predators? Also, was the landlord
doing anything to provoke his scratching?

HTH.

-Kelly

Old August 3rd 05, 02:48 PM
Ted Davis

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:37:45 +0100, Daytona wrote:

Any thoughts would be great, thanks for any help !

Do a Google search on

"cat scratch fever"

and/or

"cat scratch disease"

(with the quotes)

--
T.E.D. )
Old August 3rd 05, 03:23 PM
Daytona

Ted Davis wrote:

Do a Google search on

"cat scratch fever"

Interesting - thanks !

The microbiologists at the hospital were excited as they felt it was
something they'd never seen before - they had to take a sample, grow a
culture before developing/finding a drug that worked, so I hope it
wasn't cat scratch fever/desease as they obviously should have been
aware of it !

John
Old August 3rd 05, 03:54 PM
Karen

"Daytona" wrote in message
Ted Davis wrote:

Do a Google search on

"cat scratch fever"

Interesting - thanks !

The microbiologists at the hospital were excited as they felt it was
something they'd never seen before - they had to take a sample, grow a
culture before developing/finding a drug that worked, so I hope it
wasn't cat scratch fever/desease as they obviously should have been
aware of it !

John

That's a bit wierd tht they were "excited". I think it isn't htat usual to
get an infection from a scratch. I've been scratched a million times by cats
and never gotten sick. Bites are another animal altogether. My guess is the
ladies immunity is down and who knows if she didn't pick up the actual
infection in her garden (entering through the cats scratch).

Old August 3rd 05, 04:05 PM
Daytona

"Snittens" wrote:

The indoor/outdoor debate among cat owners often gets divided
along national lines on here.

g one of those cultural arguments.....

AFAIC cats are the same the world over so I'll try to do what's best
and avoid all the arguments :-)

You have to assess the situation and
determine if this is a safe environment for the cat.

The environment is safe for the cat, it's whether the cat is safe for
the environment ;-)

It's a rural environment - he stands his ground and frightens off
foxes and he avoids dogs but can fend them off easily if necessary. My
landladies daughters dog Daisy wandered in to my house this morning
(as she does) and disturbed him whilst feeding - she was immediately
chased wimpering outside the house !

It is not cruel to
keep a cat indoors. All of mine have been indoor-only for their whole lives
and don't seem to mind. They have plenty of toys and spaces to climb
inside.

That's another issue - I think he's bored out of his mind, which is
maybe how he scratched my landlady in the first place - frustrated and
desperate for someone to play with. He is a great hunter - so he
probably gets most entertainment from that. What are the best toys
for cats ? I tied some bird feathers on some string and wave those
about but he rips them to pieces within seconds. It is impressive to
see cats in action like this.

It might be a little tough to convert a cat who is used to going
outside though, but it can be done.

How ? Any pointers ? I'll do some Googling.

Scratching the landlord: There is a product called Soft Paws you could get
(www.softpaws.com) and put on the cat to stop him from scratching.

Interesting idea - thanks ! Although how you put them on without being
scratched is the interesting bit !

The only
issue I see in doing this is that since he is indoor/outdoor, it might leave
him with less defenses if he were to get into a fight. Again, this is
something you need to assess. Are there other cats he is likely to get into
fights with?

No other cats

No unknown (to him) dogs

Does he need to ward off predators?

Foxes possibly - but from all I've seen they just want to get to the
food thrown out for them and want to avoid him. I've never seen them
fight.

Also, was the landlord
doing anything to provoke his scratching?

Good question !

She's an experienced cat and dog keeper, but used to get scratched by
him regularly. She used to play with him - I didn't and I've never
been scratched. He would mock hunt her around the garden. Also I get
the impression that he respects men and doesn't try the same thing
with them. I think her husband punished him the first time it happened
to him as a kitten and he's never forgotten. Would this make sense ?

The closest he gets to hunting me is chasing the long undone laces on
my boots - I don't know whether to encourage this or not in the
circumstances !

Current status - asleep ! -
URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/JohnsStuff/Barney2.jpg :-)

Thanks Kelly - off now to investigate SoftPaws !

John
Old August 3rd 05, 04:18 PM
Daytona

"Karen" wrote:

My guess is the
ladies immunity is down

Yes, good point ! It could be, due to age and the fact that she had a
heart bypass operation last year.

and who knows if she didn't pick up the actual
infection in her garden (entering through the cats scratch).

Yes, she could have done - it's difficult to say. I haven't spoken to
her yet, but from what I hear, she seems to think it was the cat, so
maybe she's just grown tired of his behaviour towards her.....

John
Old August 3rd 05, 04:35 PM

Daytona wrote:

The problem I see is keeping the cat away from my landlady. It's got
plenty of space - about 4 acres, half woodland half garden but it
likes company and usually follows her about when she's in the garden.
It occasionally plays games with her, hunting her through the
undergrowth and pouncing. I think it's bored out of it's mind and does
this to entertain itself.

Maybe you could let him out in "shifts"--during the time the landlady
stays indoors. Or get a catflap that you could lock when she's outside.
Or, it really sounds like he scratched her in play. If she's just more
careful about his "play mode", she could avoid getting scratched.
It does sound like he likes the new arrangement and he's well on his
way to accepting you as his new person.
Sorry I can't offer more. I think it's great you're helping this cat.
Lucky him.

Sherry

Old August 3rd 05, 04:49 PM
-L.

Daytona wrote:
I've just taken on responsibility for a ginger tom cat for a couple of
months that would otherwise have been put to sleep. He's name's Barney
- URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/JohnsStuff/Barney1.jpg.
It's a weird situation and I don't have any experience of looking
after animals, so I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments on how to
handle it.

Cats scratch for a reason. Either she was petting the cat and it got
overstimulated and scratched her to tell her to quit petting, or he was
playing and got too rough. If you trim his nails short and keep them
trimmed, they will do less damage. If he is an indoor/outdoor cat he
isn't likely to accept SoftPaws, in my experience - he is most likely
to chew them off.

The best thing to do is to keep him indoors while the lady is outside
and let her know when he is out. She could also carry a squirt bottle
of water with her, and if he approaches, squirt him, although I would
only do this if others are around as it might make him more aggressive,
so you really have to watch it - it will either repel him or make him
more determined.

Since it is a temporary situation you should be able to come up with a
plan that can work for both of you.

Here's a review of SoftPaws which I wrote awhile back. If you keep
your kitty's nails trimmed short, SoftPaws may not be necessary...but
here it goes:

(paste)

SoftPaws

Some people were asking about SoftPaws. I work at a vet, and apply
these things every day, to all kinds of cats. Here is my take:

after trimming, with a super-glue-like substance. They are used to
keep the kitty from scratching things that may be damaged by unaltered
nails.

****************

Pros:
They are really, really easy to apply if kitty cooperates, and will
let you trim her nails easily. They take about 5-8 minutes to apply,
once you get the hang of it.

They are relatively inexpensive (about $10-12/set, if applied at the
vet, and they last 1-3 months.) They are even less expensive if you
buy your own kit and apply them at home.

They do not interfere with normal claw usage, but protect things you
do not want scratched, fairly effectively.

Some cats do very, very well with them.

****************

Cons:

Some cats *detest* them, and will fight you tooth and nail (excuse the
pun) when you try to apply them.

Some cats pull them off easily.

The glue is very sticky, and will stick to and damage any surface it
encounters (including human skin).

If the glue touches any skin while wet (human or cat), it burns. It
is fairly
caustic.

Some cats are allergic to the glue.

If the nail is trimmed too short, the glue can damage the nail bed,
which results in a crusty/ill formed nail, when the nail grows out.
They work best of the nail is trimmed fairly short, and if the glue is
applied in the inner 2/3 of the cap, before application.

The caps need to be fitted properly. Many technicians tend to use
caps that are too large, and then the cat is constantly fighting with
the caps, as they "feel" awkward. One cat may need more than one size
of caps to accomodate all nails on the foot (e.g. mediums on all nails
except 'pinky", which needs a small).

The caps need to be applied quickly after the glue is applied...the
glue dries very quickly. This can be tricky for beginners.

****************

Overall impression: I think trimming nails often (every 1-2 weeks) is
a better, more wholistic solution to scratching problems, than
SoftPaws. If you are unable to do this, SoftPaws may be a solution
for you. Overall, it is a good product, but may not be good for every
cat.

(end of paste)

Good luck,
-L.

Old August 3rd 05, 05:54 PM
rpl

I wouldn't use SoftPaws or blunt the nails on an outdoors cat. Cat
flaps are useful... don't know if your local wildlife will take
advantage of it... I've always imagined a cat flap in a window as being
better because 'coons and skunks wouldn't be tempted to climb.

Your landlord can do what people have been doing for millenia, just shoo
the cat with a broom; shouldn't take more than a couple days to catch
the hint.

pat