flea treatment and panting cat?

Old September 18th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stormlady

Default flea treatment and panting cat?

Bit of background first, I have 2 cats, both around 6 - 7 years old and both
have been living with my brother for the past 2 years since I've had to move
in with the in-laws. I still pay all of their food/litter/vet bills and
they are 100% indoor cats, they never go out, not even by accident.

So today while talking to my brother he mentions that the cats have been
scratching a lot and have scabs on the back of their neck. I go to see them
and figuring it's fleas, I book an appointment at the vet for later in the
afternoon (the soonest one they had) Of course, as per my thinking, they
had fleas and the vet gave them some medication, Depo-Medrol steroid for
itch, Program injectable for flea control, and Capstar 11.4mg 2X a week to
kill current fleas. Shady had 80mg Program and Rogue had 40mg based on
their respective weights. I also bought some vet-tech spray to spray the
carpets and areas in his apartment to kill anything there.

Speaking ot my brother recently, about 3 hours after the appointments, he
mentions that Shady was panting for a while in the afternoon, he said she
was not doing it now but was sitting in the window and seemed fine,
breathing normally.

I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about, or is it a
normal reaction to the medication? If it's not a normal reaction, I was
wondering which of the medications would have been most likely to cause it?
He said the other cat did not exhibit any panting that he saw.

Thanks for any help
Heather

--
*******
The 3 sentences that will get you through life.
#1, cover for me
#2, oh, good idea boss.
#3, It was like that when I got here
-Homer Simpson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormlady/

Old September 19th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 18 Sep 2007 05:39:11p, Stormlady wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

snippage
Depo-Medrol steroid for
itch, Program injectable for flea control, and Capstar 11.4mg 2X
a week to kill current fleas. Shady had 80mg Program and Rogue
had 40mg based on their respective weights. I also bought some
vet-tech spray to spray the carpets and areas in his apartment
to kill anything there.

Speaking ot my brother recently, about 3 hours after the
appointments, he mentions that Shady was panting for a while in
the afternoon, he said she was not doing it now but was sitting
in the window and seemed fine, breathing normally.

I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about,
or is it a normal reaction to the medication? If it's not a
normal reaction, I was wondering which of the medications would
have been most likely to cause it? He said the other cat did not
exhibit any panting that he saw.

We haven't had a flea infestation since the manufacture of the
products you listed above (back then it was flea dips, collars and
foggers) but that seems like a lot of insecticide all at one time
to me, and I wouldn't think its normal. Maybe the spray for the
carpet was still wet or causing fumes when Shady walked on it? You
probably can't right now, but can you call the vet in the morning
and ask about side effects of the products you bought? Glad to see
that she seems ok now, but I'd keep an eye on her.

--
Cheryl

#1, cover for me
#2, oh, good idea boss.
#3, It was like that when I got here
-Homer Simpson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormlady/

#1, cover for me
#2, oh, good idea boss.
#3, It was like that when I got here
-Homer Simpson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormlady/

the last time i flea treated my 3 angels i used a spot on treament on
the backs of their necks as per usual. it wasn't frontline but
somethign similar whcih the vet gave me.
anyway and hour or so afterwards jessie who has never had any adverse
side effects from frontline before, was showing some foaming at the
mouth! i wiped it away, and it did not return and she seemed perfectly
fine after that, in fact she is back to her normal rude health now and
happily swearing at the other 2.
i asked a friend who is a vet and he said that it would be just where
she had tried to lick the stuff off her fur but that it would not
cause any real trouble and apart form that bit of foaming it didn't.

it did worry me though, and my first thought was 'rabies!!!!', silly
really considering we live in the home counties of england and the
only wildlife jessie comes into contact with are onthe tv when she
watched documentaries with us. And maybe the odd hedgehog outside.

so my advice would be, keep an eye on it but unless something drastic
happens don't worry. if something drastic does happen whip them
straight off to the vet.

bookie