Cat Drowned In Pool

Old July 18th 03, 01:02 AM
Mary

How about a ramp so the critters can climb out easily?

That's a great idea! Maybe she can leave a piece of wood going from the deck to
the steps into the water. If she has no steps, maybe she can attack something
to the ladder, a little platform at water level they can climb onto then jump
out of the pool. My cat could swim but there was no way he would have known to
go to the steps. Thank god I was there.
Old July 18th 03, 01:16 AM
Cat Protector

I am sorry to about your cat. This may be another message to remind people
to keep their cats inside or have them under close supervision outside.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Tlg064" wrote in message
Just came home from work and decided to go in the pool and found one of my

cats
floating in the water. A heartbreaking and horrifying sight. She was a

stray I
took in 6 or seven years ago and getting up there in age and having a

little
trouble walking. I cant bear the thought of the cat frantically fighting

get out of the pool after she fell in.

Well I have four other cats one of which does go outside. Do I need to be
concerned. Can a healthy cat manage to get herself out of an above ground

pool
should she fall in. The one that drowned and this one prefer to drink pool
water in the summer rather than drinking from their bowl. There is no

practical
way I could close off the pool. The yard is fenced but the pool is not. In

fact
walking out the door leads directly to the pool without stepping up or

down.
Any suggestions.

Tom

Old July 18th 03, 01:18 AM
Cat Protector

A cover would help. I'd get a retractable pool cover or one that is hard
surfaced enough so you can walk on it. But the best idea is to keep your
cats indoors or closely supervise the cats outside. Like a child, this case
proved even a cat could drown.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"J~" wrote in message ...
could you get a cover for it ?? I am sure you have already
thought/looked into it.

I am suprised the cat could not get out, I have heard and see cats get
out of water before, not great swimmers but they can when needed.

J~

Tlg064 wrote:

Just came home from work and decided to go in the pool and found one of

my cats
floating in the water. A heartbreaking and horrifying sight. She was a

stray I
took in 6 or seven years ago and getting up there in age and having a

little
trouble walking. I cant bear the thought of the cat frantically

fighting to

Old July 18th 03, 06:25 AM
Liz

I suppose your cat really had difficulty walking cuz I've seen many of
my cats fall inside the pool (even as 5/6 months old kittens) and they
jump out of the water as if it were hard ground. Could your cat jump
at all?

Old July 18th 03, 03:34 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Tlg064" wrote in message
Rona Wrote
Hmmm, the trouble of covering a pool vs the life of a cat. Makes me

wonder
about your priorities. Then again, the cat was just a stray, afterall

said
with much sarcasm

Its to be expected. Always a know-it-all asshole in every bunch.

In Usenet, readers can only go by the information provided by each poster.
My opinion is based on the information you provided.

First of all I went way above and beyond the call of duty for this stray

cat.
Had her spayed, shots, and routine trips to the vet for checkups and

boosters.
Gave her a loving home as well. All my cats live like kings and queens.

I dont think I have ever heard of anyone covering their pool each time

they use
it to keep animals from falling in it. Defeats the purpose and beauty of

the
pool. We are also talking about a 32ft long pool here. Simply not

practical to
deal with a cover that large on a daily basis. I guess the animals will

just
have to take their chances but I will incorporate some kind of escape

means
just in case. Life is full of dangers for both man and beast.

Check out information on pool safety and pets. Even a simple Google search
brings up useful information such as
http://www.petplace.com/Articles/artShow.asp?artID=2736 . There are options
available to anyone who has an interest in keeping their pets (as well as
children) safe. No method is foolproof, of course, but the options (such as
removable fencing, pool alarms, and pool covers) at least minimize the risks
involved with pools. But your focus (from what you have written) is
convenience and looks, not the safety of your animals. Your interest in
safety (from what you have written) comes third. If a person had drowned in
your pool, what would you be doing now to prevent a "next time"?

So Rona. Dont talk about things you know nothing about or dont know the
circumstances. said with much disgust

Tom

As I said, options are available. You chose to have a pool and pets and you
should have investigated the safety hazards *before* even considering a
pool. That you didn't, imo, is far more disgusting than anything I have
said.

rona

Old July 18th 03, 04:30 PM
Tlg064

Rona Wrote
In Usenet, readers can only go by the information provided by each poster.

My opinion is based on the information you provided.

I understand

Google search brings up useful information such as

http://www.petplace.com/Articles/artShow.asp?artID=2736

That link does not seem to be working at the moment but I will check it out
later.

No method is foolproof, of course, but the options (such as

removable fencing, pool alarms, and pool covers) at least minimize the risks
involved with pools. But your focus (from what you have written) is
convenience and looks, not the safety of your animals. Your interest in
safety (from what you have written) comes third.
As I said, options are available. You chose to have a pool and pets and you
should have investigated the safety hazards *before* even considering a pool.
That you didn't, imo, is far more disgusting than anything I have said.

Alarms would not do any good if I'm not home as happened. In any case I
installed the pool for its convenience long before this stray cat and her
unborn kitten came looking for a home. I guess she picked the wrong home. I did
however treat her very well and made her feel welcome. From what I hear and
observe, I treat my cats far better than many, if not most, pet owners. Till
now it never occured to me that a streetwise cat could fall into the pool and
drown. The very first day this cat came into my yard she could have fallen into
the pool. Do I need to cover, fence and alarm my pool for any animal that may
venture into my yard?

If a person had drowned in your pool, what would you be doing now to prevent

a "next time"?

My yard is fenced in as required by law. Other than myself and my wife just
about no one else uses the pool.

Tom