Black growth

Old September 4th 04, 06:56 PM
Mary

"Sunflower" wrote Incidentally, many ceramic pet
dishes are expensive and the majority of the stainless ones are bigger than
a cat needs, and too deep

Walmart has a line of neat heavy ceramic cat dishes that
are perfect. They are blue and white and have neat
graphics like pawprints and kitty faces. They are $5 if I recall correctly.

Old September 4th 04, 07:06 PM
PawsForThought

From: (Sunflower)

(PawsForThought) wrote in message

It sounds like cat acne most likely. Do you feed your cat from a plastic

bowl?
They can harbor bacteria which can cause the feline acne. If you do, you
might want to switch to ceramic or stainless steel. You might also want to

The first time I heard that I really wondered. If you wash it regularly, how
much does it matter if it is more prone to bacterial growth than ceramic?

Then I got some plastic dishes (because it was a neat setup, not because I
disbelieved) and my girls almost immediately developed those little black
bumps. I switched back to stainless and the bumps went away. Oh, they
get one or two now and then, but the increase was really obvious with the
plastic dishes.

Incidentally, many ceramic pet dishes are expensive and the majority of
the stainless ones are bigger than a cat needs, and too deep -- my cats
hate sticking their faces in the one-pint bowls I was using. I wanted to
have a bunch of dishes so I could just chuck them in the dishwasher
instead of having to wash them constantly. So I went to Wal-Mart and
got a stack of Corelle "dessert dishes". They're small shallow bowls.
They're less expensive and lighter and fit in the dishwasher better than
ceramic dishes at the pet store. They are not for every cat because if
you step on the edge you can tip it up, but my cats have never had a
problem with them.

I got the Corelle dishes too. Aren't they nice? I also have a deeper one that
I use as their water dish.

Lauren

________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old September 4th 04, 07:06 PM
PawsForThought

Old September 4th 04, 09:21 PM
Sunflower

Karen Chuplis wrote in message ...
Plastic can develop tons of tiny scratches, nearly invisible to the eye but
that harbor bacteria. I also suspect that it can just be a reaction to the
plastic.

My cousin-in-law always, always, always uses the headset with her cell
phone, because she says it makes her break out if she holds it against
her face all the time. When she said this, it was only with difficulty that I
refrained from explaining about cat acne and plastic dishes. On the one
hand, it would have been support of a view that was not universally
believed by those she told it to, but on the whole I think she would not
have appreciated the comparison to a cat with icky skin. :-) I don't
think she's really a pet person.

Catherine
Mandy & Judy

Old September 11th 04, 01:12 AM
mlbriggs

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 07:29:31 -0700, Sunflower wrote:

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...

[...]

About 20 years ago I bought 10 Corelle saucers for my cat's food.
They are all still as good as new. I rinse them off then put in the
dishwasher. MLB

Old September 11th 04, 01:19 AM
mlbriggs

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 09:53:42 -0500, Karen Chuplis wrote:

in article , Sunflower at
wrote on 9/4/04 9:29AM:

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message

It sounds like cat acne most likely. Do you feed your cat from a plastic
bowl?
They can harbor bacteria which can cause the feline acne. If you do, you
might want to switch to ceramic or stainless steel. You might also want to

The first time I heard that I really wondered. If you wash it regularly, how
much does it matter if it is more prone to bacterial growth than ceramic?

Plastic can develop tons of tiny scratches, nearly invisible to the eye but
that harbor bacteria. I also suspect that it can just be a reaction to the
plastic. I always remember my mother telling us how my sister coughed and
coughed as a toddler, then one day, she noticed a bazillion little bumps on
her forehead where she had been holding a plastic hoola hoop. This was when
plastics had just begun to take over and everything was plastic, including
the cheap plasitc backed curtains etc. Mom stripped the bedroom of anything
plastic backed and lo and behold, Teresa stopped coughing all the time. I
think plastics are half of everyones allergy problems today.

Many years ago, we bought new furniture for the office and had new green
telephones installed. (there were four of them -- two in each room). I
developed a bad rash on my left ear and the lady at the desk next to mine
did too, but not as severe as mine was. The ladies in the next office
were not bothered. On reporting it to the telephone company, they sent
two men to investigate and they did replace the phones/ All were sent for
analysis. They reported later that the two that caused the rashes were
made in a different plant than the other two. MLB