Update - Help! I need to save a cat

Old May 22nd 05, 04:53 PM
KellyH

Default Update - Help! I need to save a cat

I do have someone willing to take Blossom into foster care, my friend's mom
who is very cat-savvy. She has a psycho cat on Prozac and is experienced
with difficult cats. Now the problem is, dealing with shelter politics and
getting the OK to put her foster, if you can believe that. At first we were
told no, now it's a limited time of one month, but are not Ok'ing Prozac.
My friend (who also is with the shelter) and I are very frustrated. We are
trying to help a cat and are getting resistance. Plus, like I said before,
Blossom is in the AC kennel with the dogs, and we just had a BYB who decided
to give up her 70+ dogs, so we've got about 15-20 of them in the kennel
right now. I want Blossom out of there ASAP.
Shelter politics sucks. It's the worst part of volunteering.
Keep your fingers crossed for Blossom, and me that I don't end up quitting.

-Kelly

Old May 22nd 05, 05:06 PM
-L.

KellyH wrote:
[...]

Oh Jesus. If it isn't one thing, it's another. Can't they see that
declawing this cat made matters worse and don't they take *any*
responsibility for adopting out to someone who'd declaw an adult cat?

/me bangs head on desk.

Hang in there, Kelly. I have BTDT and it isn't fun.

-L.

Old May 22nd 05, 06:11 PM
Mary

"KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot net wrote:

I want Blossom out of there ASAP.

Shelter politics sucks. It's the worst part of volunteering.
Keep your fingers crossed for Blossom, and me that I don't end up

quitting.

I hate to hear this--it is such a shame. I hope they will
let her go.

Old May 22nd 05, 06:18 PM
Rhonda

Kelly,

Is there an email address we can send something to, or a mailing address
to encourage them to help Blossom? Sort of a "Save Blossom" campaign?
Maybe it would help to get a few letters from the outside world...

Rhonda

Old May 22nd 05, 06:25 PM
KellyH

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Kelly,

Is there an email address we can send something to, or a mailing address
to encourage them to help Blossom? Sort of a "Save Blossom" campaign?
Maybe it would help to get a few letters from the outside world...

Actually, I'd rather not let it be known that I've been publicly talking
about this. I appreciate the sentiment though. Things are looking up, I
think Blossom will be going to her new foster home

--
-Kelly

Old May 22nd 05, 06:53 PM

KellyH wrote:
[...]

Poor Blossom. Poor you. Shelter politics do suck. For some reason, the
shelter environment seems to attract control freaks sometimes. You've
got to have a workable Board who understands the big picture and will
vote for exceptions when it's for the benefit of the cat. And your
frustration isn't limited to volunteers. I get frustrated too. Even
Board members are only 1 vote.

Sherry

Old May 22nd 05, 08:05 PM
KellyH

wrote
Poor Blossom. Poor you. Shelter politics do suck. For some reason, the
shelter environment seems to attract control freaks sometimes.

OMG, Isn't that the truth!

You've got to have a workable Board who understands the big picture and
will
vote for exceptions when it's for the benefit of the cat. And your
frustration isn't limited to volunteers. I get frustrated too. Even
Board members are only 1 vote.

Our shelter is divided into camps right now, including some of the Board.
It makes getting anything done a real PITA. I'm supposed to go to a big
Board meeting tomorrow because I'm on a committee that's reporting to them,
but I think I'll skip it. I need to keep my blood pressure down.

--
-Kelly

Old May 23rd 05, 03:47 PM
-L.

kaeli wrote:

Shelters might have even more knowledgable people instead of a bunch

of high
schoolers looking for volunteer points if they'd quit that crap.

No kidding.

/ why, no, 6-7 week old kittens really shouldn't be eating only dry

cat food,
especially when their ribs are showing

/me rolls eyes. Don't even get mne started n the Silicon Valley HS.
*******s.

-L.

Old May 23rd 05, 09:17 PM
Janet B

On Mon, 23 May 2005 09:34:26 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

And sometimes the politics and ego-stroking bull**** make frustrated
volunteers quit. I know that's why I quit. It's bad enough being subjected to
the depressing feelings aroused by the entire shelter environment. The
political garbage just makes it worse and the satisfaction of helping the
poor animals just doesn't quite make up for the times your hands are tied
because of someone with an overblown ego because they get paid and you don't.

I think there are at least an equal number of volunteers who don't
understand the reality of shelter and rescue work, the safety of all,
and responsibility. Hard decisions get made in shelters, every day.
"Loving animals" is not all there is to it. Loving animals enough to
make those decisions.

When someone volunteers at a shelter, they should be fully aware of
policies, and they can either choose to accept those and volunteer, or
choose to pass and look elsewhere. Volunteers who are always bucking
the system (or worse) are not a good thing. Exceptions snowball and
often wind up with some really poor decisions being made.

As far as getting paid, the policy makers at most shelters are a BOD,
who definitely are not paid.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com