Conan Hysteria and a Challenge

Old July 10th 05, 04:10 PM
Kitkat

CatNipped wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Rhonda wrote:

Only 3 animals? Shoot. We can fix you up with a few more...

No thanks. I definitely have my quota. I have 2 snakes and a turtle
too.

Would it not be fair to take the number of square feet of your pet room,
divide it by 3, and say that is the minimum for 1 cat?

Not exactly, since they both have the run of the whole place. The dog
has areas she cannot get to, to provide refuge for the cats. Plus,
she's outside for 2-3 hours twice a day, or so.

Look, the thing is, I have my reasons for having the criteria I do when
placing an animal. You might not agree with them, you might find them
extreme, but you are entitled to your opinion just as I am. And seeing
that I am the one placing the animals, I get to make the decision.

I think far too many people think "Oh, just one more won't make a
difference" and then before you know it they have far too many than
they can truly afford, vet, and *sufficiently* observe for disease,
etc. Plus, overcrowding puts stress on an animal, even if the
conditions are clean and they are well fed.

I could add more, but I'm bored with this whole thing.

-L.

Is that what you think about Megan's cats? Come on, lets hear what you have
to say about 24, no 25(??) cats in an apartment.

CN, I have been thinking about Megan and her many cats since this
argument started. I was going to post what you did...but decided not to.
I guess (believe it or not) I am still trying to keep things nicer
around here...but since you brought it up...what about Megan and all her
cats, Lyn?!
Old July 10th 05, 04:22 PM
whitershadeofpale

-L. wrote:

You are the one who coined the term, BBB. I just threw it back in your
face.

oml

Old July 10th 05, 04:22 PM
CatNipped

"Kitkat" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Rhonda wrote:

[...]

Oh, *I* have no problem with the number of cats Megan has. As much as she
loves cats, I know they're well taken care of (I don't know how she does it
on a housekeeper's salary, but all of them get premium food, the best cat
litter, and quality vet care - I'm sure she has to make a lot of sacrifices
to do that). I don't particularly like Megan's abrasive personality, but I
can't fault her for saving the lives of all those cats who would have,
probably, been euthanized if she hadn't intervened on their behalf. It's
people like Lyn, who claim to love cats but can callously let "defective"
cats be euthanized (or even healthy cats who are just not wanted), or leave
them languishing in cages just to indulge her petty sense of power, that
really disgust me.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 10th 05, 04:42 PM
Kitkat

CatNipped wrote:
"Kitkat" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

"-L." wrote in message
groups.com...

Rhonda wrote:

[...]

Nor do I! I am very curious about Lyn's opinion!
Old July 10th 05, 06:01 PM
-L.

Kitkat wrote:
CN, I have been thinking about Megan and her many cats since this
argument started. I was going to post what you did...but decided not to.
I guess (believe it or not) I am still trying to keep things nicer
around here...

Really? Sure doesn't seem that way.

but since you brought it up...what about Megan and all her
cats, Lyn?!

I don't know anything about "Megan and all her cats" (and I suspect you
really do not either) and since I am not placing a cat with her, it's a
moot point.

-L.

Old July 10th 05, 06:03 PM
Trish

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

whitershadeofpale wrote:

Well, come on back when you need some volunteers to molest, just be
sure to wash your hands.

You are the one who coined the term, BBB. I just threw it back in your
face.

I am not very happy with you right now!
Postin that **** over in a pregnant woman group! tha hells wrong with
you!

Um, that would be Mary Queen of Tapeworms who is cross-posting to AIP.
She's a little slow on the uptake.

-L.

Didn't realize it was cross-posted again.
-L.

Old July 10th 05, 11:01 PM
Kitkat

-L. wrote:

Kitkat wrote:

CN, I have been thinking about Megan and her many cats since this
argument started. I was going to post what you did...but decided not to.
I guess (believe it or not) I am still trying to keep things nicer
around here...

Really? Sure doesn't seem that way.

Puhlease. Obviously I am riled up over your square footage
"requirements" but I hardly am hurling insults around here. Anything I
have said that is off-color *pales* in comparison to the kinds of
insults that ARE spewed around here...and YOU are as guilty as many
others of doing just that.

but since you brought it up...what about Megan and all her
cats, Lyn?!

I don't know anything about "Megan and all her cats" (and I suspect you
really do not either) and since I am not placing a cat with her, it's a
moot point.

I think it is a valid point. What I know about Megan and her cats is
that she has many in a fairly small place. I do not know her square
footage, but according to your standards, only a house the size of the
White House would be sufficient for the 20+ cats she has.

It's funny. I agree with a lot of things you have posted...even
w/respect to Conan and such. I am not incredibly worried about him being
placed and I am happy he is not in the crappy shelter and that wherever
he is, he is not in danger of being euthed and he will be placed in a
great home soon enough. I have not said ONE negative thing about Monica,
Dan or anyone else for that matter. But, your requirements with square
footage has obviously hit a nerve. Why? Because I can not even fathom
someone denying me for an adoption because of the size of my apartment.
I realize you are not the one responsible for placing Conan (at least I
dont think so according to what you have said) but it seems that Monica
also has the same issues regarding space and I am exercising my right to
free speech here and debating the issue with you folks. I'd hate to see
Conan not get a home that could be great for him because of space. As
many people have stated, there are ways to create space...especially
VERTICALLY...which cats seem to love more anyway. If you have someone
that genuinely cares about cats and wants to save one, denying them an
adoption is assinine as long as so many are put down because of lack of
homes. There may be a handful of situations where an adoption is denied,
but when you have someone with a good track record with cats, that
should be the biggest and best indicator of the new cat's future. IMO.

I also *understand* your point that you don't work for a shelter, so you
can "do what you want" cuz you "call the shots". That doesn't mean I
think you are doing the right thing. And even if you don't give a ****
what I think, as long as the topic is up, we are all free to put in our
2 cents.

Pam
Old July 11th 05, 02:59 AM
-L.

Kitkat wrote:
Really? Sure doesn't seem that way.

Puhlease. Obviously I am riled up over your square footage
"requirements" but I hardly am hurling insults around here. Anything I
have said that is off-color *pales* in comparison to the kinds of
insults that ARE spewed around here...and YOU are as guilty as many
others of doing just that.

Seems your response to my thread stating my friends must like "wide
open spaces" (complete with smiley), and simply asking if you worked
for CPS was a bit - ummm, emotive, if nothing else. You seemed a bit
agitated, m'dear.

but since you brought it up...what about Megan and all her
cats, Lyn?!

I don't know anything about "Megan and all her cats" (and I suspect you
really do not either) and since I am not placing a cat with her, it's a
moot point.

I think it is a valid point. What I know about Megan and her cats is
that she has many in a fairly small place. I do not know her square
footage, but according to your standards, only a house the size of the
White House would be sufficient for the 20+ cats she has.

I haven't stated what space I would think would be sufficient for 20+
cats, so you don't know anything. All I have stated is that my
minimum (in general) for placing a cat is around 1500 sq ft. There are
a ton of other questions you would have to ask before you could get the
answer to whether or not I think Megan can appropriately care for her
cats or if I feel her situation is suitable for the cats she has (which
I think are the questions you are really asking). Since I don't know
Megan and don't know how many cats she has, her set up, or anything
else about her, I cannot respond to your questions. Would I ever keep
20 cats? No. Not unless I had a heated outbuilding or extremely large
home where they could live safely in ample space. Do I think, based on
what I know, that Megan is able to adequately care for her cats? Yes,
probably, from what little I know - but again, I would have to see her
cats, see her set-up, and interview her to see if that was in fact the
case. Megan has already stated she thinks I don't properly care for my
cats based on what I have posted in the past (mainly because I think
that the needs of the human must sometimes superceed the needs of the
animal). So be it. We have different approaches to life and I can
live with that. Despite that fact, I still think she does a ****load
of good work for cats, in general. I respect her. We can disagree and
still get along with each other - a rarity in this ng.

It's funny. I agree with a lot of things you have posted...even
w/respect to Conan and such. I am not incredibly worried about him being
placed and I am happy he is not in the crappy shelter and that wherever
he is, he is not in danger of being euthed and he will be placed in a
great home soon enough. I have not said ONE negative thing about Monica,
Dan or anyone else for that matter. But, your requirements with square
footage has obviously hit a nerve. Why?

I keep asking myself that. You can get a cat from 10,000 sources. Why
are you worrying about what *I* choose to do or not do during a
placement?

Because I can not even fathom
someone denying me for an adoption because of the size of my apartment.

There would be a number of factors I would consider. But I definitely
would not place a cat in 500 or 700 sq. ft. Sorry. Personally I don't
think 700 sq. ft. is adequate for a human.

I realize you are not the one responsible for placing Conan (at least I
dont think so according to what you have said) but it seems that Monica
also has the same issues regarding space

You are extrapolating. All Monica said was that the SD guy's apartment
wasn't suitable for Conan. I don't think she even said anything about
size - I think she said "set up". I could google the post but it isn't
that important to me.

and I am exercising my right to
free speech here and debating the issue with you folks.

....as you are free to do so.

I'd hate to see
Conan not get a home that could be great for him because of space. As
many people have stated, there are ways to create space...especially
VERTICALLY...which cats seem to love more anyway. If you have someone
that genuinely cares about cats and wants to save one, denying them an
adoption is assinine as long as so many are put down because of lack of
homes. There may be a handful of situations where an adoption is denied,
but when you have someone with a good track record with cats, that
should be the biggest and best indicator of the new cat's future. IMO.

Yes and no. As someone who does placements, you only get a snap shot
of how appropriate a person would be as a potential home. You have to
choose the best home for the cat out of the applicants you have. Most
people who adopt a single cat usually, eventually, end up adopting
more. You have to take that into consideration, as well as a ton of
other issues. Nothing is ever black and white. If I don't know you
personally, I have to make my best judgement call based on the info I
have been able to collect.

A lot of people here seem to think the guy in SD was a good fit for
Conan despite never even personally even exchanging an email with the
guy, and are royally ****ed that Conan wasn't placed with him. This,
despite Monica saying even the guy made statements saying that his
place might not be a good fit. I don't know if he would or would not
be a good home but I trust the judgement of Monica's group.

I also *understand* your point that you don't work for a shelter, so you
can "do what you want" cuz you "call the shots". That doesn't mean I
think you are doing the right thing.

Nor did I ask you to. In fact I stated "Feel free to disagree" or
somesuch.

And even if you don't give a ****
what I think, as long as the topic is up, we are all free to put in our
2 cents.

As am I. I can always choose to read you or not, as you can me.

-L.

Old July 11th 05, 06:58 AM
Meghan Noecker

On 10 Jul 2005 18:59:25 -0700, "-L." wrote:

live with that. Despite that fact, I still think she does a ****load
of good work for cats, in general. I respect her. We can disagree and
still get along with each other - a rarity in this ng.

I guess it just seems strange that you think she does a great job, and
you respect her, but you wouldn't adopt to her. She lives in an
apartment, which is not likely to meet your minimum 1500 square feet.
So, she wouldn't be good enough, by your standards to adopt even one
cat, but you think she is okay with multiple cats. It doesn't make
much sense.

A lot of people here seem to think the guy in SD was a good fit for
Conan despite never even personally even exchanging an email with the
guy, and are royally ****ed that Conan wasn't placed with him. This,
despite Monica saying even the guy made statements saying that his
place might not be a good fit. I don't know if he would or would not
be a good home but I trust the judgement of Monica's group.

I've seen the email exchange, and I still believe he is an ideal
adopter for Conan. He was a nice guy, and gave in rather than argue.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography