Biting kitty

Old October 20th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kathy

Default Biting kitty

We have a 4-month old kitten who was abandoned at a truck stop. He was
approximately 6 weeks old. My son-in-law found him and brought him to
me. He had eye infections and an upper respiratory infection, both of
which cleared right up with medication. He was given tests (all
negative), his shots, and was dewormed. Since then he's healthy and
happy and thriving. The only problem is he bites. Just my hands and
forearms but it's painful. The vet said he can't be neutered until he's
7 months old. Is it likely that will help with the biting? Any other
suggestions?

Kathy
Old October 20th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Kathy" wrote in message

forearms but it's painful. The vet said he can't be neutered until he's 7
months old. Is it likely that will help with the biting? Any other
suggestions?

A loud "OW" and withdrawing, no more playing, no petting, no attention at
all is a good place to start. And don't use your hands to play with the cat,
use a toy like a feather on a stick. Don't smack him and don't spray him
with water, just a loud OW and withdraw. Over and over again. Bless you for
taking him in and getting him the vet care he needs. BTW, I think you can
find a vet who will neuter him before he is 7 months old.

Old October 20th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I agree with what cybercat says--use a toy or laser light to play with
him, never your hands. If he does bite your hand, yell OW loudly and
let your hand go limp. Quietly and slowly get up and stop the play
session. He'll learn quickly.

Make sure to play with him regularly to release that energy--he has a
lot right now.

I also agree with cybercat about asking another vet about neutering
him sooner. The idea of waiting until 6 months or later to perform the
surgery is outdated thinking.
Old October 20th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kathy

cybercat wrote:
"Kathy" wrote in message

forearms but it's painful. The vet said he can't be neutered until he's 7
months old. Is it likely that will help with the biting? Any other
suggestions?

A loud "OW" and withdrawing, no more playing, no petting, no attention at
all is a good place to start.

That's funny, because that was my instinct. He does stop when I do
that, but goes right back to it in a minute.

And don't use your hands to play with the cat,

That's probably my mistake. I tickle him and poke him while playing (my
form of roughhousing with the little guy), probably just encouraging the
biting. I'll stop doing that, though I hate to.

use a toy like a feather on a stick. Don't smack him and don't spray him
with water, just a loud OW and withdraw. Over and over again. Bless you for
taking him in and getting him the vet care he needs. BTW, I think you can
find a vet who will neuter him before he is 7 months old.

Thanks.

Kathy

Old October 20th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kathy

Rene S. wrote:
I agree with what cybercat says--use a toy or laser light to play with
him, never your hands. If he does bite your hand, yell OW loudly and
let your hand go limp. Quietly and slowly get up and stop the play
session. He'll learn quickly.

Make sure to play with him regularly to release that energy--he has a
lot right now.

I also agree with cybercat about asking another vet about neutering
him sooner. The idea of waiting until 6 months or later to perform the
surgery is outdated thinking.

Can't think of leaving my vet (he's been great) but maybe if I ask him,
he'll do it sooner.

Thanks.

Kathy
Old October 20th 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Kathy" wrote

And don't use your hands to play with the cat,

That's probably my mistake. I tickle him and poke him while playing (my
form of roughhousing with the little guy), probably just encouraging the
biting. I'll stop doing that, though I hate to.

It's so much fun when they are little. Problem is they get bigger.

Old October 20th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Kathy" wrote
Can't think of leaving my vet (he's been great) but maybe if I ask him,
he'll do it sooner.

You could show him some research. Google Cornell Veterinary Hospital they
are pretty respected, and see what they have to say about neutering age.
Good luck. He is very lucky to have you. Also we love pictures. If you put
some of him up, do post a link so we can see him.

Old October 20th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dberrycat

On Oct 20, 10:42*am, Kathy wrote:
We have a 4-month old kitten who was abandoned at a truck stop. He was
approximately 6 weeks old. My son-in-law found him and brought him to
me. *He had eye infections and an upper respiratory infection, both of
which cleared right up with medication. *He was given tests (all
negative), his shots, and was dewormed. Since then he's healthy and
happy and thriving. *The only problem is he bites. *Just my hands and
forearms but it's painful. *The vet said he can't be neutered until he's
7 months old. *Is it likely that will help with the biting? *Any other
suggestions?

Kathy

Thank you for taking this kitten in. It sounds like you and he are
doing
great, except for the biting issue. That is commonly a problem when
a young kitten doesn't get well socialized living with his mom and
siblings.
They will bite and "attack" because they haven't learned cat manners.
When they bite mom or other kittens, they get a loud yell or hiss or
swat. You need to give him similar feed back when he bites you.
I have found that a hiss works. They soon learn and when they get
bitten by other kittens themselves they realize that it hurts! If you
are
interested in adopting another kitten to be his buddy, he will
probably
learn better manners from the other kitten and he will have someone
to play with and use up some energy.

Teach him that hands and feet are not playthings. Never play with him
by wrestling him with your hands or feet. Using a stuffed animal that
is about his size or a thick oven mitt on your hand will allow him to
wrestle, but not directly with your hand. Play with him with
a feline flyer (stick, string, feather on the end) or a feather wand,
a stuffed mouse on a string (don't leave strings or ribbons out when
you are not supervising, they can be swallowed and cause GI
problems), a plastic or cloth tape measure, balls with jingles in
them.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck.

Debbie
Old October 21st 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kathy

dberrycat wrote:
On Oct 20, 10:42 am, Kathy wrote:
[...]

A big thanks to you and everyone who responded. I'll check back with a
progress report!

Kathy
Old October 21st 09, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:42:17 -0400, Kathy wrote:

We have a 4-month old kitten who was abandoned at a truck stop. He was
approximately 6 weeks old. My son-in-law found him and brought him to
me. He had eye infections and an upper respiratory infection, both of
which cleared right up with medication. He was given tests (all
negative), his shots, and was dewormed. Since then he's healthy and
happy and thriving. The only problem is he bites. Just my hands and
forearms but it's painful. The vet said he can't be neutered until he's
7 months old. Is it likely that will help with the biting? Any other
suggestions?

Kathy

he vet said he can't be neutered until he's
months old. WTF. It's TIME to get him spayed NOW, or he nay start
spraying.

You need a MUCH better vet.

It's pretty routine now for most vets to do spays, which are a MUCH more
involved surgery, at 10 to 12 weeks.

I worked for a vet, and neuters are VERY easy to do.

I can't figure WHY a vet, who isn't mentally ill, would say at cat
'can't be neutered' at 7 months.

That's just plain insane, and some of the worst vet advice I've seen in
a very long time.

Biting cat J King Cat health & behaviour 8 October 7th 05 06:32 PM
Kitty Biting Lots42 Cat anecdotes 7 May 27th 05 12:00 PM
Why is this cat biting me? ph_leung Cat health & behaviour 19 December 3rd 04 04:54 PM
Kitty Won't Stop BITING me and CHEWING on fabric! Jill Cat health & behaviour 34 October 4th 04 09:05 PM
fur biting Simon Fitzpatrick Cat health & behaviour 3 August 31st 04 01:04 AM