Skunked trap

Old February 2nd 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Default Skunked trap

Anyone know if there's some way to get the smell of skunk out of a live
trap? We loaned out one of our traps and the guy got a skunk. Now no
self-respecting cat would go in there and I didn't know if there was a way
of getting rid of the smell or do I need to toss the trap and buy new.

Wendy

Old February 2nd 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

baking soda, peroxiide & dish soap are supposed to remove odors can you mix
it up in a bucket or something and dunk the trap into it.

http://www.a2zgorge.info/community/h...unk-remedy.htm

Celeste

--
Get 600 FREE 4X6 prints and 600 FREE 5x7 prints
sign up for Artscow

Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip
http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=39019

m...

Old February 2nd 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Wendy" wrote

Anyone know if there's some way to get the smell of skunk out of a live
trap? We loaned out one of our traps and the guy got a skunk. Now no
self-respecting cat would go in there and I didn't know if there was a way
of getting rid of the smell or do I need to toss the trap and buy new.

1 liter (or quart) white vinegar OR 3% hydrogen peroxide (peroxide may cause
bleaching)

1/4 c. Baking soda.

1 tsp. dish detergent (also a de-greaser

Rinse well with hose after leaving it to settle in, repeat as needed.

Old February 2nd 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 2, 2:10*pm, "Wendy" wrote:
Anyone know if there's some way to get the smell of skunk out of a live
trap? We loaned out one of our traps and the guy got a skunk. Now no
self-respecting cat would go in there and I didn't know if there was a way
of getting rid of the smell or do I need to toss the trap and buy new.

Wendy

Metal or plastic?

Do you have a tank big enough to immerse the entirety?

If metal, a strong solution of vinagar (acetic acid) in water for
about an hour followed by a dip in a strong solution of baking soda
for another hour. Be very sure you dry everything out afterwards
(similarly the other processes), and grease any fittings as may need
it.

If plastic, a mild solution of Lye (Red Devil Lye, one flat tablespoon
per gallon HOT water) for about 20 minutes followed by an hour in a
strong vinegar solution.

You can also soak it in 1:1 bleach-to-water for that same hour and
then just rinse it, but bleach attacks many metals, some plastics and
some dyes more-so than the other options. If the bleach option is
chosen air-dry in bright sunlight and do not use the cage for several
days after drying.

Soaking is the only process that will get the reactants to all
surfaces in sufficient concentration to do the job. A bathtub, washtub
or kiddie-pool will do the job, but be careful when disposing of the
effluent, especially bleach.

If this is the typical galvanized steel Hav-A-Hart trap, go right for
the bleach, then dry everything thoroughly afterwards. Thorough
bleaching is not a half-bad idea after each catch anyway so as to
utterly sterilize the trap for the next use.

NOTE: DO NOT USE PHENOL-BASED DISINFECTANTS (Lysol liquid, Pine-Sol
and similar) AROUND CATS. EVER. EVEN A LITTLE BIT. Spray-Lysol is not
phenol-based, but some of the complex germicides are also toxic to
feline metabolism and _all_ of them should be avoided around pets in
general, much less cats. Stick with the simple stuff - bleach,
vinegar, baking soda, ammonia and so forth.

Rule-of-thumb: If the cleaning solvent "Goes Milky" in water, it is
toxic to cats even in tiny quantities. It attacks their kidneys and
livers, and the effects are cumulative.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 2nd 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bartlet

On Feb 2, 2:10*pm, "Wendy" wrote:

of getting rid of the smell or do I need to toss the trap and buy new.

Wendy

it's just oil
maybe try something to cut the oil

bleach, don't cut oil

pine does

-
or. if the surface being cleaned is porous, then, maybe one of those
fuzzy
recipes others posted would do it

Old February 2nd 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Linda Boucher

tomatoes juice is good for getting skunk smells off dogs...
it might work on your trap

Old February 3rd 09, 11:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Nil-Odor