TED visit

Old April 20th 13, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

Default TED visit

It was planned well. After breakfast, we would simply put each cat in its
carrier, (Edgar in the big carrier, Agatha in the small one) and take them
to the vet for a routine annual visit and rabies shot. The appointment was
for today at 11 am.

We knew we'd have to catch them first, but we'd done it before. We could do
it again.

The cats had other plans.

We easily caught Edgar (11 lbs, large, black, very sweet) , but he escaped
before we could put him in the carrier. After some coaxing and sweet words
(from me) he allowed me to get close to him, and I caught him again. This
time my wife and I made sure he was IN the carrier and the carrier zipped up
before I took away my hands.

We exhaled a sigh of relief, at which point Edgar ripped the zipper and
escaped again. Carrier was ruined, and Edgar was roaming the house.

My wife coaxed him onto his perch and grabbed him with a kitchen towel. This
time we "poured" him into the small carrier, had to shove his rear legs and
tail in after him, and zipped it up. Carrier was holding out. Edgar became
quiet.

Now to Agatha. She is sweet but no fool, and VERY suspicious. She had
escaped upstairs and had taken residence under our bed. We tried to coax her
out (fuggedeaboutit). We tried shooing her out with the noise she hates
most, that of a rustling plastic bag. She stayed put. My wife tried to push
her out with a broom. Zilch. She moved an inch, away from the reach of the
broom, and stayed put. Finally she escaped to then only open door, that of
the bathroom. She was TRAPPED. Quicky my wife got her with a towel, and we
put her into another carrier bag, one intended for human travel rather that
of cats. We zipped up the carrier. She was quiet for a brief moment, and
then within 10 seconds she managed tio open the velcro closure, and she was
out again.

We decided to take Edgar only and deal with Agatha next week. It's easier to
deal with one cat than two, and with a real carrier rather than a tote bag.
..

At the vet's Edgar was as sweet as he could be. He got his shot, he was
weighed, checked out, got a compliment for his lovely shiny coat and healthy
eyes, ears, mouth and heart, and then -- in the most docile manner -- simply
climbed back into the carrier for the trip home. AND the vet complimented
him for being so well behaved.

Next week: Agatha goes to the doctor. We hope.

Jay

Old April 20th 13, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"JJ" wrote in message ...

It was planned well. After breakfast, we would simply put each cat in its
carrier, (Edgar in the big carrier, Agatha in the small one) and take them
to the vet for a routine annual visit and rabies shot. The appointment was
for today at 11 am.
snip
Jay

~~~~~~
Hilarious! I can picture every minute of it.

MaryL

Old April 20th 13, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:05:48 PM UTC+1, JJ wrote:
It was planned well.

It may be but it never works out as planned. I still remember turning up at the vets with one cat having made the original appointment for two cats and having to make another appointment for Redunzel because we'd have been late by the time I would have managed to catch her.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 20th 13, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"JJ" wrote in message ...
[...]

jay I am sorry I am lol out over here. We all have been there one reason I
only use hard cases with locks. I had a couple escape artist like yours
till I learned my lesson

Old April 20th 13, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message

"JJ" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I was looking at cases on the internet and we'll probably get a hard
case also, to replace the one that Edgar destroyed today.

Jay

Old April 20th 13, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"JJ" wrote in message ...
"Matthew" wrote in message

"JJ" wrote in message
[...]

Got a Wal-Mart nearby I got small ones called pet taxi that can hold a 15
pound cat with ease for about $15 I got a large one for about $25 designed
for a 40 pound fur ball

Old April 20th 13, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

.

At the vet's Edgar was as sweet as he could be. He got his shot, he was
weighed, checked out, got a compliment for his lovely shiny coat and healthy
eyes, ears, mouth and heart, and then -- in the most docile manner -- simply
climbed back into the carrier for the trip home. AND the vet complimented
him for being so well behaved.

Next week: Agatha goes to the doctor. We hope.

Jay

I KNEW there was a reason why I never bought a fabric carrier! (It may
be harder to "pour" a cat into a rigid "kennel cab" carrier, but once in
with the door securely latched, they can't get it open by themselves.)
Old April 20th 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I KNEW there was a reason why I never bought a fabric carrier! (It may
be harder to "pour" a cat into a rigid "kennel cab" carrier, but once in
with the door securely latched, they can't get it open by themselves.)

I don't find it that difficult to "pour" a cat into the hard plastic
carrier. I haven't tried a soft carrier, but that sounds a lot harder,
and that's not even including the problem of them being able to tear
it open and escape.

I take the hard carrier and stand it on its end, with the door open. Then I
grab the cat and lower him/her into the carrier. One hand is supporting
the cat, and the other has a grip on his/her nape of the neck. This helps
them calm down, become more docile and easier to manage. The nice part is
that gravity is doing a lot of the work!

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

The TED visit Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 11 August 31st 12 10:14 PM
My TED visit Amelia Cat community 27 February 21st 11 12:46 AM
TED visit Marina Cat anecdotes 11 February 21st 06 10:44 PM
Thu TED Visit Cheryl Perkins Cat community 5 January 29th 06 10:22 PM
Visit to TED Smokie Darling (Annie) Cat anecdotes 1 June 19th 05 03:08 AM