old cat

Old August 3rd 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peter Elem

Default old cat

I have a male cat that is loosing weight and seems to be dying. He is
probably around 15 years old but can't be sure. He's clingy and mellow but
doesn't seem to be in any pain. Also he is completely mobile......I'm
wondering if I should see a vet and what other end-of-life measures I should
take..........

Old August 3rd 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut[_2_]

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 08:38:21 -0400, "Peter Elem"
wrote:

I have a male cat that is loosing weight and seems to be dying. He is
probably around 15 years old but can't be sure. He's clingy and mellow but
doesn't seem to be in any pain. Also he is completely mobile......I'm
wondering if I should see a vet and what other end-of-life measures I should
take..........

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES on seeing the vet!!! If
he is towards the end of his lifespan maybe you or vet can do
something to make it a little longer or at the least you could find
out there is nothing wrong with him which would be reason enough to
take him!!

Just out of curiosity (SP) when is the last time he was to the vet?

Prayers and purrs on the way that he is fine.

Old August 3rd 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley[_4_]

On 3 Aug, 06:07, kraut wrote:

Just out of curiosity (SP) when is the last time he was to the vet?

That's the crucial issue when Isis (RB) started to show her age
(almost 17) we discussed it with our vet who knew her. She was one of
those cats who loathed the out to the extent she would hide until our
front door was closed even if it was just us coming in. Taking her to
the vet was incredibly traumatic to her- she'd scream in the carrier
then puke, wet herself etc and go off her food (and she had a ,massive
appetite- 10 minutes before she crossed the Bridge she licked her bowl
clean) for several days afterwards Our vet ran through the various
things like drinking (no problem), eating (Certainly no problem),
litter box (Fine), washing (she was an impeccably well groomed lady to
the end) seeking affection (If she wanted it she got it) but she'd
started to find jumping up difficult (she yelled to get lifted onto
the bed)

So after discussing it with her vet it was decided that to take her to
the vets would be incredibly traumatic for her, she wasn't in any pain
or distress if she had showed any signs of either she would have been
taken to the vet immediately and we all knew she wouldn't be coming
back but our dear vet suggested we just make her last days
comfortable , which we did and she passed away in her sleep at home

Good vet who knew the cat and didn't try to get extra cash out of us
because it would have meant traumatising Isis to take her to the vets
for one last trip

I LOVE my vet

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs.

Old August 4th 10, 11:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

15 isn't old for a cat these days. Yes take it to the vet now - it
could be as simple as a thyroid problem, which is very common and can
be controlled - expecially if caught early - or kidney problems.
Old August 4th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

I have a male cat that is loosing weight and seems to be dying. He is
probably around 15 years old but can't be sure. He's clingy and mellow but
doesn't seem to be in any pain. Also he is completely mobile......I'm
wondering if I should see a vet and what other end-of-life measures I should
take..........

Off to the vet. As the other folks said, it could be something fairly
minor.
Old August 4th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Peter Elem" wrote in message
I have a male cat that is loosing weight and seems to be dying. He is
probably around 15 years old but can't be sure. He's clingy and mellow but
doesn't seem to be in any pain. Also he is completely mobile......I'm
wondering if I should see a vet and what other end-of-life measures I
should take..........

We've got one too.....As long as he's eating and using his cat box, he's
probably OK. When he stops either one of those, then put him down. In the
intervening time, just cater to his wishes, and make life as pleasant for
him as possible.....