[OT] Parrot saves baby's life

Old April 3rd 11, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [OT] Parrot saves baby's life

Pretty amazing!

Fortunately this post is completely off-topic, and there are no
cats in it.

http://www.brighthub.com/pets/birds/articles/92107.aspx

Joyce

--
Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old April 3rd 11, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
Pretty amazing!

Fortunately this post is completely off-topic, and there are no
cats in it.

http://www.brighthub.com/pets/birds/articles/92107.aspx

Joyce

This is wonderful! Parrots can indeed be amazing (I miss Peaches! who is a
lovebird, not a Quaker parrot, but they look remarkably similiar).

One thing I don't understand is the article says "Quaker parrots are deemed
"illegal Avians" in Colorado and 13 other states, a little known battle that
has been waging between the states and the federal government." Why on
earth would Quaker parrots be illegal?

Jill

Old April 3rd 11, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message

wrote in message
Pretty amazing!

Fortunately this post is completely off-topic, and there are no
cats in it.

http://www.brighthub.com/pets/birds/articles/92107.aspx

Joyce

This is wonderful! Parrots can indeed be amazing (I miss Peaches! who is
a lovebird, not a Quaker parrot, but they look remarkably similiar).

One thing I don't understand is the article says "Quaker parrots are
deemed "illegal Avians" in Colorado and 13 other states, a little known
battle that has been waging between the states and the federal
government." Why on earth would Quaker parrots be illegal?

Jill

They are considered to be a threat to native birds, and there are fears that
they may become agricultural pests. There are some states where they are
legal to own but illegal to sell or breed, and some states prohibit
ownership of quaker parrots.

MaryL

Old April 3rd 11, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

That's nuts! Most people I know don't let their parrots fly around loose
outside. They're expensive birds so that would be reckless indeed. I'm not
saying they can't escape, lots of pet birds do. I got my first parakeet
when I was 3 years old because someone wasn't paying attention and the bird
got out. My brother caught him down by the creek in the backyard in
Virginia. He was a blue pied parakeet and had a broken beak. I named him
Robinson Crusoe.

I seriously doubt small parrots like a Quaker would harm native birds or
crops. Agricultural pests? What, native birds don't eat whatever they can
find? Tell that to the crows in my back yard. LOL I'm pretty sure they're
picking their way through the tomato fields a few miles from here.

Jill ---loves cats and birds alike

Old April 3rd 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

There are feral colonies of parakeets in many countries, including the U.S.
They may have escaped from homes, been released deliberately, or
accidentally been released during shipment. We already have a number of
bird species that were imported (deliberately or accidentally), and which
have taken over the habitat of native species. Some agricultural students
fear that this could happen with quaker parrots because they seem to adapt
and breed readily when they are released.

We had parakeets (one at a time) when I was a child, and I love them. My
parents had pictures of a parakeet perching on the sides of my glasses while
I was reading. Some years later, my parents began to raise chickens (8,000
at a time), and my father made the comment that it was probably good that we
no longer had parakeets because they are known carriers of coccidiosis. It
could have been disastrous if we carried disease from pet birds in the house
to the chickens.

I was not aware until recently that quaker parrots are illegal or limited in
some states, and I don't know how much of this is reality and how much may
be exaggerated fear. Here are a fewsites that describe feral colonies in
the U.S.
http://www.brooklynparrots.com/2005/...-doing-in.html
http://www.eparrots.biz/feral.html
http://www.biology.uco.edu/PersonalP...ams_butler.pdf

This article was developed by an author who has attempted to dispel some of
those fears (which he considers unwarranted and unreasonable):
http://monkparakeet.com/index1.htm

Incidentally, I often think that my grandfather (who farmed from early 1900
until his death in 1953) was "ahead of his time." Other farmers used all
sorts of techniques to get rid of birds that were "stealing their grain"
from the fields. My grandfather planted extra grain "for the birds." He
said birds were worth their weight in gold because of all the insects they
ate. Likewise, he mounted a bat house on the side of my grandparents' house
instead of taking steps to destroy them.

MaryL

Old April 3rd 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL wrote:

There are feral colonies of parakeets in many countries, including the U.S.
They may have escaped from homes, been released deliberately, or
accidentally been released during shipment. We already have a number of
bird species that were imported (deliberately or accidentally), and which
have taken over the habitat of native species.

So, you're saying that parrots and parakeets compete with native birds
for the same ecological niches, and the parrots and parakeets are winning
out? Do they also breed faster than native birds?

There's quite a population of feral parrots in San Francisco - some of
you might have seen the wonderful documentary, "The Wild Parrots of
Telegraph Hill". I don't know what impact they have on native species
in the city, though. The hawks and falcons seem happy about them being
there!

Some agricultural students
fear that this could happen with quaker parrots because they seem to adapt
and breed readily when they are released.

What would the effects be on agriculture? Do they eat plants that the
natives leave alone?

Incidentally, I often think that my grandfather (who farmed from early 1900
until his death in 1953) was "ahead of his time." Other farmers used all
sorts of techniques to get rid of birds that were "stealing their grain"
from the fields. My grandfather planted extra grain "for the birds." He
said birds were worth their weight in gold because of all the insects they
ate. Likewise, he mounted a bat house on the side of my grandparents' house
instead of taking steps to destroy them.

Smart guy! I seem to remember you posting about this once before, or maybe
someone else was doing the same thing. It's ingenious.

Joyce

--
Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
Old April 4th 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

There are feral colonies of parakeets in many countries, including the
U.S.
They may have escaped from homes, been released deliberately, or
accidentally been released during shipment. We already have a number of
bird species that were imported (deliberately or accidentally), and
which
have taken over the habitat of native species.

So, you're saying that parrots and parakeets compete with native birds
for the same ecological niches, and the parrots and parakeets are winning
out? Do they also breed faster than native birds?

No, I'm not saying that. I don't have enough knowledge to make that
decision. I was quoting "experts" who make the claim and who are fearful of
the potential ecological impact of large feral colonies. I am aware, of
course, of other imports that have caused damage (starlings, some sparrows,
etc.)

There's quite a population of feral parrots in San Francisco - some of
you might have seen the wonderful documentary, "The Wild Parrots of
Telegraph Hill". I don't know what impact they have on native species
in the city, though. The hawks and falcons seem happy about them being
there!

Some agricultural students
fear that this could happen with quaker parrots because they seem to
adapt
and breed readily when they are released.

What would the effects be on agriculture? Do they eat plants that the
natives leave alone?

Most of the reports I have read are concerned about (1) possible competition
for--house finches, for example, are very aggressive and have been known to
drive native species from certain areas; (2) possible spread of disease to
native populations--I quoted my father from many years ago, for example, and
he was not even thinking about possible feral populations.

Incidentally, I often think that my grandfather (who farmed from early
1900
until his death in 1953) was "ahead of his time." Other farmers used
all
sorts of techniques to get rid of birds that were "stealing their grain"
from the fields. My grandfather planted extra grain "for the birds."
He
said birds were worth their weight in gold because of all the insects
they
ate. Likewise, he mounted a bat house on the side of my grandparents'
house
instead of taking steps to destroy them.

Smart guy! I seem to remember you posting about this once before, or maybe
someone else was doing the same thing. It's ingenious.

Yes, I did write about my grandfather on another occasion.

Joyce

Old April 4th 11, 11:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

The medical concern is valid. I grew up with parakeets but we didn't raise
chickens.

Incidentally, I often think that my grandfather (who farmed from early
1900 until his death in 1953) was "ahead of his time." Other farmers used
all sorts of techniques to get rid of birds that were "stealing their
grain" from the fields. My grandfather planted extra grain "for the
birds." He said birds were worth their weight in gold because of all the
insects they ate.

They certainly do eat a lot of destructive insects.

Likewise, he mounted a bat house on the side of my grandparents' house
instead of taking steps to destroy them.

MaryL

Ah, bats are wonderful! I should put up a bat house. When John and I were
at the concert last October there were bats swooping all over. It was
really cool.

Jill

Old April 4th 11, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:
MaryL wrote:

Incidentally, I often think that my grandfather (who farmed from early 1900
until his death in 1953) was "ahead of his time." Other farmers used all
sorts of techniques to get rid of birds that were "stealing their grain"
from the fields. My grandfather planted extra grain "for the birds." He
said birds were worth their weight in gold because of all the insects they
ate. Likewise, he mounted a bat house on the side of my grandparents' house
instead of taking steps to destroy them.

Smart guy! I seem to remember you posting about this once before, or maybe
someone else was doing the same thing. It's ingenious.

Joyce

It's sad, how few people stop to consider that many "pests" are useful
parts of the ecology, so rush to destroy them when they invade where we
don't want them! Ever since I discovered ants don't like cinnamon, I've
used that to get rid of them, instead of killing them with some sort of
insecticide. With cinnamon, they simply go away, so you've no ant
corpses to dispose of, either. (Without ants and maggots and various
other carrion-eating critters, the world would be drowned in rotting
dead animals!)

Old April 5th 11, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 4/04/2011 8:02 AM, wrote:
MaryL wrote:

There are feral colonies of parakeets in many countries, including the U.S.
They may have escaped from homes, been released deliberately, or
accidentally been released during shipment. We already have a number of
bird species that were imported (deliberately or accidentally), and which
have taken over the habitat of native species.

So, you're saying that parrots and parakeets compete with native birds
for the same ecological niches, and the parrots and parakeets are winning
out? Do they also breed faster than native birds?

Not the same bird, but here in Oz we have a huge problem with the Indian
Mynah. They are agressive birds that will chase out other birds from
their nesting areas, will out-compete native birds for food, and are
rapid breeders because they have no natural predators here.

They are considered pests and there's a program now to trap and kill as
many as we can (I hate the beggars, but can't bring myself to kill them)

There's quite a population of feral parrots in San Francisco - some of
you might have seen the wonderful documentary, "The Wild Parrots of
Telegraph Hill". I don't know what impact they have on native species
in the city, though. The hawks and falcons seem happy about them being
there!

Some agricultural students
fear that this could happen with quaker parrots because they seem to adapt
and breed readily when they are released.

What would the effects be on agriculture? Do they eat plants that the
natives leave alone?

Oddly our own native sulphur crested cockatoo are considered
agricultural pests. Back when we hadn't made suburbia and didn't have
high intensity agriculture here, the general scarcity of food meant that
there wasn't many sulphur crested cockatoos. Now that we farm intensely,
and people plant non-native species of tree in suburbia (and not to
mention put birdseed out) large flocks of sulphur crested cockatoos have
been able to thrive. A large flock of these *very noisy* guys can strip
a grove of trees of all the new growth for that season in just a few
hours. They won't kill the tree, but if you were relying on that new
growth for you crop this year, you'd consider said cockatoos a pest.

They also take out tv aerials by the same method, and seem to prefer on
particular house in the street to do it to, even if all the aerials are
the same. My parents now have an indoor aerial.

Incidentally, I often think that my grandfather (who farmed from early 1900
until his death in 1953) was "ahead of his time." Other farmers used all
sorts of techniques to get rid of birds that were "stealing their grain"
from the fields. My grandfather planted extra grain "for the birds." He
said birds were worth their weight in gold because of all the insects they
ate. Likewise, he mounted a bat house on the side of my grandparents' house
instead of taking steps to destroy them.

Smart guy! I seem to remember you posting about this once before, or maybe
someone else was doing the same thing. It's ingenious.

clearly someone who understand the natural cycle and how to live in
harmony with the land much better than his peers.

Yowie