Willi/Radiation Therapy in Cats????

Old June 7th 04, 11:10 PM
MJohns7861

Default Willi/Radiation Therapy in Cats????

I received a treatment plan today from my vet after a phone convo and fax on my
cat Willi. The plan came from the vet school at North Carolina State in
Raleigh. I am in Richmond, 3 hours north. Willi is my 10 year old tuxedo cat
indoor that has been diagnosed with Axial (paraosteal) osteosacoma. The cancer
is located on heis cervical spine and cannot be removed - though the bigger
tumor was taken out. His estimated remaining time has been projected to me from
3 weeks to 2 years with median survival time of 13 months.

The vet has recommended that I consider radiation therapy for Willi for local
control of Willi's cancer. Willi would go through 19 treatments under the car
of NC State and would leave him with them for 3-4 weeks. Theoretically, this
could extend Willi's life if the treatments are successful. How long is unclear
to me. I called NC State today with some questions I had. They could not answer
my questions without a consult visit first.

I have not made a decision if I will move forward with this. Is anyone in this
group had a cat go through radiation? If so, please contact me - I would love
to connect with you to understand this process some more. My questions are
obvious. Did it help? What side effects did the cat feel? Did the treatment
cause any other health problems?

Is there another newsgroup for vets - where I could post this?

Have found some bits and pieces through a Google search but not what I need.
Also, any thoughts for a diet for a cat with cancer? Have read high protein and
high fat are in order.

Thanks, Magnus
Old June 8th 04, 12:27 AM
Mary

"MJohns7861" wrote

His estimated remaining time has been projected to me from
3 weeks to 2 years with median survival time of 13 months.

I am really, really sorry Willi's prognosis is not good.

The vet has recommended that I consider radiation therapy for Willi for

local
control of Willi's cancer. Willi would go through 19 treatments under the

car
of NC State and would leave him with them for 3-4 weeks. Theoretically,

this
could extend Willi's life if the treatments are successful. How long is

unclear
to me. I called NC State today with some questions I had. They could not

answer
my questions without a consult visit first.

While I cannot help you with any experiences with cats and radiation, I
can tell you that the Vet School at NC State is a truly fine facility that
has saved the lives of many cats and extended the lives of others. It is
among the top vet schools in the US.