Disaster! I am SO allergic to Scooter!

Old January 4th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Disaster! I am SO allergic to Scooter!

Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many
problems with the other three cats, but the biggest problem is that I
seem to be very allergic to him. The odd thing is that I've never had
allergies although for the past few years I've felt somewhat crappy on
very bad allergy days.

Scooter is just about the sweetest cat I've ever known. He loves being
handled and rolls over for belly rubs constantly. Just a great cat.
But this is a huge problem.

I took him to the vet on Saturday because he's been making very weird
noises and seems to be trying to cough up a hairball. Plus his farts
could kill. Probably nothing but I wanted to check. The vet says that
he's fine and gave him a deworming plus a steroid and antibiotic just
in case he has some minor problem. He says that several stool samples
could be negative for parasites but he could still have worms so it's
best to just give the deworming gunk.

But I couldn't stand being near him. My eyes tear, my nose runs, and
everything itches. I have a headache. I bought some loratadine
(Claritin) and will give that a chance to work but it did nothing over
the weekend. I ended up taking a lot of benadryl which helps but makes
me sleepy. I couldn't sleep last night, partly because I was feeling
so crappy but also because I'm agonizing about having to put Scooter
out of the house. The Significant Other has no reaction at all.

He was sleeping at the foot of the bed around 1am and I picked him up
and put him in the Cat Introduction Room. Almost immediately I felt
better and slept the rest of the night. It might have been more
benadryl kicking in but it sure seems that when he comes near I
immediately have symptoms.

I'm also worried because it seems that Espy is also allergic to him.
He has been sneezing a bit and acting like his sense of smell is a bit
impaired (failing to locate a Temptation for instance). Can a cat be
allergic to another cat?

When I left this morning he wanted to go outside so I let him go but
no one will be home until around 9 PM to let him back in. It's 20F or
so outside but Pretty Girl was in my backyard this morning so I know
they can deal with it. Scooter does still have his heated box by the
front door.

Still, I'd like to keep him in as much as possible. Well, that's the
story. Does anyone have advice on how to limit allergies? I'm
certainly considering getting a Hepa system but the house is rarely
very clean. Still, having that run all day in the bedroom and maybe
one in the living room would likely help.

My vet said to try wetting a cloth with fabric softener and rubbing
that on him (wet, not a bath). He's heard that this is pretty
effective in limiting allergic reactions. I tried it with a dryer
sheet instead but while Scooter enjoyed it, I think I'll just do the
towel with the liquid stuff tonight.

I'm also looking into getting him a home with someone else if I really
have serious problems with this. He's such a good cat that he deserves
a home.
Old January 4th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know, dude, you just seem to have one emergency after another. I am
allergic to cats, loratidine covers it for the most part. I am not totally
comfortable all the time, but it is a trade-off.

Old January 4th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Where do you live? I am in Ohio and it has been very cold over the
weekend. I noticed that my husband and I AND our kitty were sneezing
- apparently from the dry air in the house. Today it warmed to 20
something and we aren't sneezing.

I think I would try giving the kitty a bath - either yourself, or the
groomer. See if that doesn't help.

I am and have always been allergic to cats, but I don't let that stop
having them!

Old January 4th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

dgk,

His solicitousness seems oriented to an abdominal problem he knows he has
but can't do anything about. He's telling you his stomach hurts.

Other cats know when one of them has parasites. It sounds like you have a
good vet. Give the vet time to do his thing.

If Claritin doesn't work, try another anti-allergin.

If you don't want him, get him healthy, then find someone who does.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

Old January 5th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Allan Smith" wrote

If Claritin doesn't work, try another anti-allergin.

Zyrtec (sp) might work. Also, rince your face and eyes often with cool
water. Taking a shower helps too. I imagine with the other impediments in
the house, Scooter is history, though.

Old January 5th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
Where do you live? I am in Ohio and it has been very cold over the
weekend. I noticed that my husband and I AND our kitty were sneezing
- apparently from the dry air in the house. Today it warmed to 20
something and we aren't sneezing.

I think I would try giving the kitty a bath - either yourself, or the
groomer. See if that doesn't help.

I am and have always been allergic to cats, but I don't let that stop
having them!

Very good point. My house is extremely dry these last couple of weeks and
I've been miserable. I finally got out the humidifier tonight and already
feel better. Humidity in my house was at 22% tonight. That's horrible.
It's finally up over 30% now. I think you may be on to something if dgk
doesn't have a humidifier. Even my sensitive teeth have been suffering.
Dentist today and they couldn't find anything on the xrays and my web
searches found that dehydration can cause sensitivity in teeth. Weird, huh.

Old January 5th 10, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote
Dentist today and they couldn't find anything on the xrays and my web
searches found that dehydration can cause sensitivity in teeth. Weird,
huh.

Which brings us to another way to help allergies--drink more.

Old January 5th 10, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I have been running a humidifier for the last month. I keep it at 55
percent. I have to add about a gallon a day to the humidifier,

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old January 5th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:11:39 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote
Dentist today and they couldn't find anything on the xrays and my web
searches found that dehydration can cause sensitivity in teeth. Weird,
huh.

Which brings us to another way to help allergies--drink more.

I did have the humidifier on last night and today and perhaps it
helps.

I wouldn't mind having to take Claritin or something if that will make
it pretty much go away.Yesterday I took a lorawhatever (Claritin),
Actifed, and benadryl and I really did feel better but I can't do that
long term.

My understanding is that it takes a while for Claritin to work so it
may be ok by itself. I'm seeing my doctor today to see what he says.
Old January 5th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:03:43 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Allan Smith" wrote

If Claritin doesn't work, try another anti-allergin.

Zyrtec (sp) might work. Also, rince your face and eyes often with cool
water. Taking a shower helps too. I imagine with the other impediments in
the house, Scooter is history, though.

Well, Marlo would certainly be happy and the others wouldn't hold any
protest marches. Still, I took him in because I really like him but he
is now fighting something of an uphill battle to stay inside.

It's really odd watching Marlo. She just stares at him like he's some
sort of alien artifact.