Broken Leg

Old March 11th 04, 06:57 AM
guynoir

Default Broken Leg

One of my strays is at the vet awaiting surgery for a broken leg. The
vet said splinting wouldn't work for a feral cat. He's going to cut
open the leg, and then pin the bones together.

Anyone have any experience with broken limbs on cats to share with me?
How long to recover, how successful the recovery, how much and what kind
of post op care needed etc. Any experience with treating seriously
injured feral cats?

Thanks,
--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Old March 11th 04, 12:08 PM
IBen Getiner

guynoir wrote in message hlink.net...
One of my strays is at the vet awaiting surgery for a broken leg. The
vet said splinting wouldn't work for a feral cat. He's going to cut
open the leg, and then pin the bones together.

Anyone have any experience with broken limbs on cats to share with me?
How long to recover, how successful the recovery, how much and what kind
of post op care needed etc. Any experience with treating seriously
injured feral cats?

Thanks,

Yes, I heard one a while back from a old Chinese couple. Seems they
had this large female tabby who was MISSING three of it's four legs. I
asked what the story was with this terribly crippled cat, and they
confided in me this story. Seems this cat was quite the hero. They
said that once, their house caught fire in the dead of nite and their
cat jumped on their bed and woke them up. They were able to escape
with their live, but with little else. Then another time, their
daughter was just about to throw a washtub half full of gasoline on a
fire and the feisty female kitty flew like a missile across the
child's chest, thereby knocking her off her feet and averting certain
disaster. Another time, the neighbor's pit bull was on the loose and
came charging at Mr. Wang while he was unloading his customer's
laundry. The hero cat flew instantaneously into the eyes of the
offender, with claws fully extended. The pooch whimpered off in a trot
and never came back again.
I listen to the elderly couple and when they were through, I again
inquired about why the cat was missing three of its four legs. The old
Chinese man looked at me with a gleam in his eye and said... "Well,
with a cat that special, you don't want to eat her all at once"!

IBen G.

Old March 11th 04, 10:46 PM
Sharon Talbert

The cat is going to need extended cage rest after the surgery, is my
guess. Chances are fair to good that he will socialize in your care or
even own up to being someone's long abandoned pet rather than feral-born.
One of our sweetest rescues was a "feral" cat that had been mauled by a
dog who need extended cage care. After a few days, Garbonzo (named for
his admirable tomliness) confessed he was perfectly tame. He still sends
us Christmas cards from his adopted home.

That aside, all you need provide your guy is a comfortable cage (a large
dog crate works very well) and supportive care.

Have the vet treat the cat with Revolution while it is under. That will
take care of his fleas and a few other parasites he is likely to have.

Read my blurb, "Taming the Tiger," posted to the Campus Cats website, for
some tips on setting up the cage.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

Old March 12th 04, 01:43 PM
Willows

Don't use to large of a cage, you'll really need to limit his movement
until the leg heals completely. Something with just enough room for him
to lie down, have a litter box and food dishes. He could need to be
caged for 6 to 8 weeks but speak to your vets about the time period.

Broken Signature OT Bev Cat anecdotes 60 June 16th 04 10:16 PM
broken front leg Siobhan Nearey Cat health & behaviour 26 November 4th 03 11:20 AM