This will sound ODD

Old May 31st 05, 08:18 PM
jmcquown

Default This will sound ODD

Okay, coming from me, maybe not. My LLL informed me he will be in Memphis
for a show from 6/15 - 6/20. He further said I should find us a hotel so I
won't feel like I have to play "hostess" or worry about cleaning up or worry
about my still slowly-leaking waterbed with some extra weight on it! LOL

So I was searching for hotels; darn, Memphis is expensive! Must be the
Elvis thing

I'd found us a really good deal at one the Extended Stay Suites in Kansas.
Searched for one in Memphis and the published rates were higher than Kansas.
So I called, explained we'd be doing a show, staying a week. Any deals?
Was told NO, sorry.

I'm not one to take NO for an answer. I used the link to send email and I
got a reply back from the hotel manager this morning. $35/night. Oh
yeah!!!! YEEEEEE HAA! The place has a full kitchen. And I know exactly
where it is so I know there are tons of restaurants around as well.

Best thing is, it's close enough to home that I can run back and give Persia
scritches and hugs and not have to board her, and have a little chat with
Peaches and make sure she's chirping and has fresh water to bathe in.

If you don't ask, you don't get. That's my new philosophy

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old May 31st 05, 08:44 PM
Katz

jmcquown wrote:

I'm not one to take NO for an answer. I used the link to send email and I
got a reply back from the hotel manager this morning. $35/night. Oh
yeah!!!! YEEEEEE HAA! The place has a full kitchen. And I know exactly
where it is so I know there are tons of restaurants around as well.

Well, that's an unbelievable deal! Yea for you! Sounds like a perfect
week, & even the kitties won't mind.

Katz

Old May 31st 05, 09:58 PM
polonca12000

That's great!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
snip

Old June 1st 05, 12:35 AM
Mary

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

As long as they are fairly new, Extended Stay Suites are fine. The older
ones can raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Old June 1st 05, 01:45 AM
jmcquown

Mary wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
I'm not one to take NO for an answer. I used the link to send email
and I got a reply back from the hotel manager this morning.
$35/night. Oh yeah!!!! YEEEEEE HAA! The place has a full kitchen.
And I know exactly where it is so I know there are tons of
restaurants around as well.

Best thing is, it's close enough to home that I can run back and
give Persia scritches and hugs and not have to board her, and have a
little chat with Peaches and make sure she's chirping and has fresh
water to bathe in.

As long as they are fairly new, Extended Stay Suites are fine. The
older ones can raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Honey, you should *see* some of the places we've stayed in when we got too
tired to keep driving. There's a place in Bettendorf, IA called the "Twin
Bridges". The entire downstairs motel population appeared to be permanent
residents with grills and lawn chairs out in front of their doors. And take
a gander at where we stayed in Highland, IL! (yes, it was funny enough for
me to take photos of):

http://community.webshots.com/album/203215856ZyeUMz

Jill

Old June 1st 05, 02:17 AM
Catnipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Doesn't sound odd, it sounds smart!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old June 1st 05, 02:18 AM
Julie_Snowshoe

jmcquown wrote:
Okay, coming from me, maybe not. My LLL informed me he will be in Memphis
for a show from 6/15 - 6/20. He further said I should find us a hotel so I
won't feel like I have to play "hostess" or worry about cleaning up or worry
about my still slowly-leaking waterbed with some extra weight on it! LOL

You'll appreciate this during the show, believe me. We used to go home
on weekends (and weeks) when we raced nearby and always I would feel
the need to be doing something around the house. Nevermind that I would
get up at 4:30 am and it would be 8 pm and I had to be up again the
next morning early. I was home therefore I felt the need to do
something. This way, even if you do cook in the room, someone else is
cleaning the room and making the bed, etc. John sounds like a very
considerate individual to have thought of this.

It sounds like you've found the perfect solution to the problem. Have
fun!

Julie

Old June 1st 05, 03:29 AM
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Mary wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The only thing worse than having to stay somewhere like that is having to
stay there when everything else if full and paying an arm and a leg for the
"privilege"

Jo

Old June 1st 05, 04:18 AM
badwilson

jmcquown wrote:
Mary wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Shudder What a lovely place ;-)
Dennis and I have stayed in some pretty dodgy places as well on our
travels. But none was as bad as this one place in Ayre, Qld,
Australia. It was 1996 and we were driving from Sydney to Cairns and
had been planning to camp on the beach that night, but couldn't find
any suitable access spots. So it got dark, and late and we reached
this small crappy town.
We were both unemployed so money was an issue, so we stayed at this
hotel above a bar for $20/night. It was old and run down but we
figured we'd just sleep and get up early and continue our drive north.
There were 2 twin beds at a 90 degree angle in the room and one fan
which rotated back and forth. We lay on our beds in our underwear
hoping for the fan to blow some cool air on us for a couple of
seconds. We were sweating.
After a while, Dennis asked me if I was sweating so much that it was
trickling down my legs. I said yes, it sure does feel that way.
After another while, Dennis commented that sweat doesn't usually make
you feel so itchy. We decided to turn on the light.
OMG!!! We were covered in fleas and blood was trickling down our
legs! We looked at the carpet and it was *moving*! We totally
freaked and ran to the (disgusting) bathroom down the hall to rinse
off, then we grabbed our stuff and fled the hotel. We didn't even
check out, we chucked the key out of the car window as we were driving
down the highway. We ended up sleeping in the car in some suburb.
Ugh.
The next night was much improved as we arrived at a wonderful hostel
in Mission Beach with a pool. We got a box of wine and hung out in
the pool all day. Then we found a pub where you got a free dinner of
chicken stew on rice if you bought a beer. What a deal :-)
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old June 1st 05, 04:33 AM
jmcquown

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Mary wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It was actually kind of fun. There were only three motels in town. We
don't like Holiday Inn Express (and it was about $80/night... for what? a
bed and an ice bucket?). And Michael's Swiss Inn had nice rooms but again,
a bed and an ice bucket. We stayed there one night. Except the ice machine
was on the fritz so they literally had a trash bin full of store-bought ice
sitting out by the rooms from which you could scoop ice. The Choice Motel/
Cardinal Inn at least had some local charm

Jill