Cat fights-need help

Old September 10th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MsKitty

Default Cat fights-need help

I have a 14 year old, very active female cat who previously lived with
other animals but has been an only cat for about 7 years. Three
months ago we adopted a female kitten who was 6 weeks old. We gave
them separate areas of the house and did everything we were supposed
to do so they could slowly get used to each other. The kitten is now
over 4 months old and the adult cat hates her. It's more of the kitten
taunting the adult cat, wanting to play. The adult cat understandably
finds this annoying and SCREAMS and hisses at the kitten. It is
LOUD. Both cats are played with a lot and have constant access to
toys, and they both have their own spots for sleeping (not a
competition/territory thing). Neither have any claws, so this is a
matter of constant cat fights/noise. It's incredibly frustrating. We
have tried giving them treats next to each other so they can associate
each other with something positive, and that goes fine, until the
treat is gone, then back to screaming. They use each other's litter
boxes and share food. I really just want my cats to stop the
screaming. Any ideas?

Old September 10th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I'm assuming there is no biting, wounds, drawing blood, just lots of
noise and hissing? Is either cat retreating/hiding when this happens?
It sounds like the kitten is being a kitten and wanting to play, but
the adult cat is not interested.

I know you won't want to hear this, but I would separate them and
reintroduce them very slowly. You can feed them on either side of the
door and play with them so their paws touch. Make sure the kitten gets
lots of playtime so she's not feeling isolated. Switch the rooms they
are in, and make sure they can smell each other's scent. You might
even try installing a screen door for a while so they can see each
other but not touch.

Try a Feliway diffuser in several parts of the house to help calm
things down. You can also put Rescue Remedy (an herbal remedy) in
their water--I've had good luck with both of these. Take it slow and
things will calm down. It will just take some more time.

Old September 10th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MsKitty

On Sep 10, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." wrote:
[...]

Yes, you are correct- no blood, no retreating/hiding.

Old September 11th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 10 Sep, 21:29, MsKitty wrote:
[...]

am I correct in assuming that by your statement "they have no claws"
that you have had both declawed?