Cats too fat.

Old September 30th 11, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Cats too fat.

Kelly Greene wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in message

This is true, but food is only half of the equation. There is also
exercise and my circumstances are different from what he he had
before. My cats have a larger territory and they move about more.
there is a chance he will lose some weight without drugs or
starvation procedures. I guess I will just have to wait and see. I
don't know what a "Maine Coon" cat looks like. But this one is just
fat. I can tell from his other proportions that he could lose about
half of his present weight and still be in good shape.

I worked in an Animal Hosp for years in NYC. Where Maine Coons are
concerned, most owners don't realize how FAT they are because of all
the fur and being told they're BIG cats. Big and fat are not the
same thing. They are larger cats generally speaking, but should not
be FAT and weight 30+ lbs. For a Maine Coon to be that heavy and
still be of "normal" weight, it would have to be the size of a cocker
spaniel. And many purebred Maine Coons are no larger than the
average housecat. They're not all large cats and that includes those
being shown in cat shows.

My brother in law lived in Alaska for a while, and he told me about a cat
that was very large that he saw whose owner said he fed him something
called, "Grow Kitty", which was some kind of hormone that made the cat grow
abnormally large. I tried looking the stuff up on the internet, but with no
success. This was about 40 years ago, so perhaps they took it off the
market.

Old September 30th 11, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Kelly Greene wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in message

Well, now he is an outside cat, but he doesn't seem to have a great
deal of drive to run around outside. for sure, he doesn't go over
the roof like a couple of my other cats do. I think that in time,
however, he will probably become more active. It would be very hard
to restrict his eating while he is living here with my other 4 cats.
they have been living with an infinite supply of kibbles for a long
time now.

I was thinking..... have you considered switching to canned food? It's
generally better for cats due to the moisture content and
doesn't include fattening high-carb unhealthy things (for cats) like
corn or other grains. I have 3 indoor only cats. None are overweight
and all get canned food. They get a midnight snack of one of the
better kibbles.. but that's all.

Yes. I feed them canned food too. But the canned food requires a certin
amount of up keep that the dry food doesn't need. My sink is always full of
dishes soaking in water to get the dried canned food off of them, and the
cats don't like this brand or that brand, or food that is too old, or had
been eaten on by some other cat..... The dry food is always available to all
of them, and it keeps, and is much more convenient. but, when a cat comes
into the kitchen and meows, well, he/she gets a fresh can, or sometimes some
roasted chicken that we usually have in the fridge too. We eat chicken about
three times a week.... What it amounts to, is that we have a bunch of very
spoiled cats.....:^)

Old October 28th 11, 11:48 AM
Cassius Cassius is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
10 lbs each.....

Cats can certainly gain too much weight, especially if you've got just one and it lives in the house. Usually if you have two cats they keep each other busy, playing and chasing. Look on the box or go to purina.com and see what the recommended food portion is for him. If you don't know his weight, get on the scale and weigh yourself, then hold him in your arms and weigh again. It won't be exact but it'll be close. And when he begs, pick him up and hold him or brush him. He's probably begging for attention as much as something to eat.
Old November 9th 11, 04:09 AM
adiposestem adiposestem is offline
Junior Member

Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
10 lbs each.....
WOW!!That cat is really fat and I can really imagine it. As an advice, go to a vet and ask some suggestions on what to do. Veterinarian knows best.