Cats too fat.

Old August 31st 11, 09:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Cats too fat.

chaniarts wrote:
On 8/30/2011 5:31 AM, dgk wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:22:38 -0700, "Bill
wrote:

I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing
for the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to
institute some special system to keep him from eating too much and
maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs
each.....

Hard to say. I have four cats. I have two cats that I want to eat
more, and two that will eat everything there is and whine for more.
No free feeding is allowed because Marlo and Scooter will eat it all
and explode. I have to manage them very carefully and it does take
effort. Sometimes I'll lock the two overweight ones out of the
feeding area and just feed the other two something.

See how it goes. Maybe the new cat will decide that since food is
always available it doesn't have to eat all the time. But I doubt it.

check that it isn't a normal situation for this type of cat. i have a
normal looking tuxedo cat, but when i got him from the rescue i work
at, he was 23lbs. he's lost about 2lbs in the 8 years since i've
gotten him, and we don't allow free feeding.

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...rent=jesse.jpg

suggestion: put the food in a room with a door. install something like
(there are multiple manufacturers of doors like this):

http://www.moorepet.com/SureFlap-Cat-Door-s/475.htm

in the door keyed so that only the thin cats can get in. put only a
limited amount of food outside the room.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Well, since all five of them are now outside cats, they will hunt up their
own food if they are hungry, either wild animals or neighbors dishes. but it
takes some exercise to even do that, so I am hoping he will lose a bit of
weight just by sharing the same territory as the other four.

Old August 31st 11, 09:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

honeybunch wrote:
On Aug 29, 7:10 pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
honeybunch wrote:
On Aug 27, 10:22 pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing
for the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to
institute some special system to keep him from eating too much and
maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs
each.....

Did your friend tell you what she fed Tiger? Did she leave some food
with you? and what does the vet suggest you feed Tiger who weighs as
much as a 3 year old child? if you dont feed him what he wants he
will just eat the other cat's food or even he might eat one of the
other cats. After you've had him for a while, how about letting him
roam around outside with your cats that are allowed out? He is
probably bored so he eats. How about a photo? How do the other 4
feel about him?

All good questions. Yes, they left some food. My other four cats are
all inside/outside cats, and have two cat doors they regularly use.
Tiger can go outside too, but he doesn't leave the property.... He
just roams around the outside decks and sleeps in the sun like my
other cats do. They get along with him pretty well, because he is a
male, and three of them are females. They hiss and spit at each
other once in a while, but they treat the males like they were the
sheik of Araby. Tiger doesn't seem to eat very much, so I think his
weight will come down in time. The vet that my friend had is the
same one I use, so she should be familiar with Tiger's excessive
weight. I will call her after a bit and have her check him out.
Right now, I want him to acclimate to the new surroundings and not
be traumatized by a vet visit.

You're doing the best of everything. Maybe Tiger just has a slow
metabolism and is meant to be a big fella.

Well, he is that. He does have pretty big bones. Maybe he is a Main Coon
cat.... I will hae to research them and find out. Even if he is, he could
lose 10 lbs. easily without becoming "underweight". I think exercise will
ultimately be the answer..

Old September 2nd 11, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
qaz qazwsx

http://www.geartaker.com/pets-suppli... paign=minxin
Old September 28th 11, 08:12 AM
AbbotDavis AbbotDavis is offline
Junior Member

Immediately bring some change in diet and take the cat on walk.For the purpose you should consult with a professional vet who can help you in balance diet for your cat.
Old September 30th 11, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:22:38 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh
around
10 lbs each.....

My Pookie is about nine or ten months old, and she looks as if she's
swallowed a basketball.

I shoot hoops with her.

You're shortening her life. :*( Why not reduce her and avoid all the
health issues down the road?

Old September 30th 11, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs around 30 lbs,
which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they all have an infinite
bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open cans for them whenever they
want it. Will the obese kitty gradually reduce to the weight of the other
four? Or, will I have to institute some special system to keep him from
eating too much and maintaining his weight? My other four cats weigh around
10 lbs each.....

If he spends a lot of time outdoors and becomes active, he will probably
lose weight. But if all he doe is lay around and munch high calorie dry
food.... most likely not.

Old September 30th 11, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

This is true, but food is only half of the equation. There is also
exercise and my circumstances are different from what he he had before. My
cats have a larger territory and they move about more. there is a chance
he will lose some weight without drugs or starvation procedures. I guess I
will just have to wait and see. I don't know what a "Maine Coon" cat looks
like. But this one is just fat. I can tell from his other proportions that
he could lose about half of his present weight and still be in good shape.

I worked in an Animal Hosp for years in NYC. Where Maine Coons are
concerned, most owners don't realize how FAT they are because of all the fur
and being told they're BIG cats. Big and fat are not the same thing. They
are larger cats generally speaking, but should not be FAT and weight 30+
lbs. For a Maine Coon to be that heavy and still be of "normal" weight, it
would have to be the size of a cocker spaniel. And many purebred Maine
Coons are no larger than the average housecat. They're not all large cats
and that includes those being shown in cat shows.

Old September 30th 11, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

Well, now he is an outside cat, but he doesn't seem to have a great deal
of drive to run around outside. for sure, he doesn't go over the roof like
a couple of my other cats do. I think that in time, however, he will
probably become more active. It would be very hard to restrict his eating
while he is living here with my other 4 cats. they have been living with
an infinite supply of kibbles for a long time now.

I was thinking..... have you considered switching to canned food? It's
generally better for cats due to the moisture content and doesn't include
fattening high-carb unhealthy things (for cats) like corn or other grains.
I have 3 indoor only cats. None are overweight and all get canned food.
They get a midnight snack of one of the better kibbles.. but that's all.

Old September 30th 11, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

Well, since all five of them are now outside cats, they will hunt up their
own food if they are hungry, either wild animals or neighbors dishes. but
it takes some exercise to even do that, so I am hoping he will lose a bit
of weight just by sharing the same territory as the other four.

Exercise should make a big difference. :0)

Old September 30th 11, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Kelly Greene wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in message
I recently acquired a male cat from a friend who is going RV'ing for
the next couple of years, and needed a home for him. He weighs
around 30 lbs, which is over twice what my other 4 cats weigh. they
all have an infinite bowl of kibbles to graze on, and I also open
cans for them whenever they want it. Will the obese kitty gradually
reduce to the weight of the other four? Or, will I have to institute
some special system to keep him from eating too much and maintaining
his weight? My other four cats weigh around 10 lbs each.....

If he spends a lot of time outdoors and becomes active, he will
probably lose weight. But if all he doe is lay around and munch high
calorie dry food.... most likely not.

Well, he was an inside cat until I got him. I have3 been able to get him to
go out on the deck a few times, but he3 doesn't seem interested in exploring
much further than that. I am hopoing he will become as active as my other
cats, and lose a little weight. It would be impossible for me to feed him
seperately - He is only about 8 years old, so he should be more active. my
other 8 year old would go over the roof of the house when going from front
to back......