My cat is starting to bite

Old November 1st 11, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sylvia M[_3_]

Default My cat is starting to bite

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
Rene wrote:
No, this is not common. The first thing I would do is get her checked
out by the vet to rule out a medical problem. She could be in pain
and
biting may be her way of protecting herself. Get bloodwork done to
rule out any major problems.

Also, if she did draw blood--keep a close eye on that wound! Cat
bites
often get infected and can lead to a serious infection.

Rene

Yes. I didn't think of that. If she's an outside cat, she could have
picked up Rabies from some wild animal, and by biting you, transfer
the disease to you. Get her checked out, and the sooner the better.

Also 'cat bite fever' can be very serious,
kept a neighbor in the hospital for several weeks!

I was wondering if there are 'good' ways to discourage biting, given no
health issues?
Sylvia M.

Old November 1st 11, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Rene wrote:
[...]

I don't know, but my cats seem to respond to my shouting at them and
(sometimes) throwing a small pillow at them. Cats are pretty mood sensitive.
Mine know when I am displeased by the tone of my voice. I do think that when
they bite you, they know that you are going to be displeased. You don't have
to shout or give them any indication. When Sara used to bite me, she would
run away immediately afterward.....:^)

Old November 2nd 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

I was wondering if there are 'good' ways to discourage biting, given no
health issues?
Sylvia M.

When ours were younger and bit when they were playing too hard, I'd
yell "ow!" loudly. That usually startled them enough to stop.
Old November 2nd 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Sylvia M:
I was wondering if there are 'good' ways to discourage biting, given no
health issues?

In the words of my granddaughter when she was about 4 years old
(in a demented tone of voice): "We'll teach kitty how to
*fly*..."

Seriously, though, the two admonitions I've heard a

- Immediately withdraw all attention

- Make a sound that shows you have been hurt
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 2nd 11, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

On 11/2/2011 2:01 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Sylvia M:
I was wondering if there are 'good' ways to discourage biting, given no
health issues?

In the words of my granddaughter when she was about 4 years old
(in a demented tone of voice): "We'll teach kitty how to
*fly*..."

Seriously, though, the two admonitions I've heard a

- Immediately withdraw all attention

- Make a sound that shows you have been hurt

shortly after i got one of my foster cats, he tried to bite me. i picked
him up, bit him (gently) in the nape, growled and shook my head a bit,
like a mother cat would do to a kitten. he hasn't tried to bite me since
(7 years now).
Old November 3rd 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per chaniarts:
shortly after i got one of my foster cats, he tried to bite me. i picked
him up, bit him (gently) in the nape, growled and shook my head a bit,
like a mother cat would do to a kitten. he hasn't tried to bite me since
(7 years now).

Sounds logical, but I get scared just thinking about that with
our cat - as in being blinded in both eyes and facially
disfigured....
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 4th 11, 02:17 AM
adiposestem adiposestem is offline
Junior Member

Location: Australia

It only shows that your cat is growing up...