Best wet food for keeping cystitis away?

Old October 8th 03, 12:28 AM
PawsForThought

From: Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

PawsForThought wrote:
From: Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

Alison Perera wrote:

Does the canned food have much more fat than the kibble did?

Surprisingly, last night I checked and the Purina ONE Chicken and Rice dry
that we were feeding them has more fat (13 - 16.5%) than the Nutro Kitten
(8% min) and Nutro Adult Science Diet canned (5% min).

Have you tried another brand of canned food like Wellness, for example? A

few
of my cats used to get loose stool from Science Diet foods.

Actually, the kitten gets Nutro Max canned kitten food (that was about the
only brand that PetsMart had that she would eat (we bought cans of each
brand/flavor and she turned her nose up at pretty much all of them except
Nutro and (I think) Purina ProPlan). Our adult cat gets Science Diet and
Nutro Max Gourmet Veal Pate. So they've been on a couple of brands, but
no real extensive testing.... I guess we can go that route, we were just
trying to up the fiber in their systems to see if that worked first.

Thx.

brian

If you do decide to try some other brands, you might have better luck at a
smaller pet supply store, or a Whole Foods Market, if you have one in your
area.
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old October 8th 03, 12:28 AM
PawsForThought

Old October 8th 03, 01:57 PM
Alison Perera

In article ,
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw wrote:

Surprisingly, last night I checked and the Purina ONE Chicken and Rice dry
that we were feeding them has more fat (13 - 16.5%) than the Nutro Kitten
(8% min) and Nutro Adult Science Diet canned (5% min).

That's on an "as fed" basis. The cat's system only cares about the
amount of fat after the water has been whisked away to be used. If I'm
doing the math right, Nutro Adult has about 23% fat on a dry matter
basis. (The Purina ONE dry has about 14.7% for comparison sake). Nutro
Max Kitten has more like 27% fat. This jump in fat might take some
adjustment, especially if the older cat has been eating the same stuff
most of his life.

If the loose stool continues, you probably want to take a sample to the
vet. I'd expect a slightly bulkier, loose but formed stool for a while
from having more water and less fiber in the diet, but not a ploppy one.
That tends to imply that the fat isn't being digested well, and could
even indicate a problem with the pancreatic lipase enzymes.

And of course, as Lauren I think recommended, it's always worth trying
another brand if only to ensure variety and rotate different foods into
the menu.

-Alison in OH

Old October 9th 03, 01:13 AM
GAUBSTER2

Does the canned food have much more fat than the kibble did?

Surprisingly, last night I checked and the Purina ONE Chicken and Rice dry
that we were feeding them has more fat (13 - 16.5%) than the Nutro Kitten
(8% min) and Nutro Adult Science Diet canned (5% min).

Nutro and Science Diet are 2 different brands....do you mix them together?

Old October 9th 03, 01:15 AM
GAUBSTER2

If you do decide to try some other brands, you might have better luck at a
smaller pet supply store, or a Whole Foods Market, if you have one in your
area.

Why a "Whole Foods Market"? It's been awhile since I've been in one, but last
I checked...their foods were "no name brands"!