Calico Cats and Biting

Old February 28th 05, 03:47 PM
Xlprg Xlprg

Default Calico Cats and Biting

Hi All:

I,m new to this group and have a similar problem with my cat Willow
- not toe biting but general biting especially if you put your hand out
in front of her. She is a calico too and came to me as a stray--now 6
years old.
She is not shy -always greets guests at the door. She definitely has
an attitude and will show it is she doesn't get what she wants. Not a
lap cat or a meower either.
I will try some of your suggestions but am wondering if this is a
special problem with calicos. As we know their coloring is some kind of
a gene misfire, they are nearly always female and I wonder if the gene
problem applies to the biting too.

Caro

Old February 28th 05, 09:09 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Xlprg Xlprg" wrote in message
Hi All:

I,m new to this group and have a similar problem with my cat Willow
- not toe biting but general biting especially if you put your hand out
in front of her. She is a calico too and came to me as a stray--now 6
years old.
She is not shy -always greets guests at the door. She definitely has
an attitude and will show it is she doesn't get what she wants. Not a
lap cat or a meower either.
I will try some of your suggestions but am wondering if this is a
special problem with calicos. As we know their coloring is some kind of
a gene misfire, they are nearly always female and I wonder if the gene
problem applies to the biting too.

Caro

My calico isn't a biter. My B&W tuxedo is, but not the calico.

Cathy

Old March 1st 05, 12:59 AM
Annie Wxill

"Xlprg Xlprg" wrote in message
.... I will try some of your suggestions but am wondering if this is a
special problem with calicos. As we know their coloring is some kind of
a gene misfire, they are nearly always female and I wonder if the gene
problem applies to the biting too.
Caro

My childhood cat was a calico, and I climbed trees with her , dressed her in
doll clothes and wheeled her around in a doll buggy, and a lot of other
stuff. She took in all in good humor and never bit or complained. When I
was 14, my parents moved our family from a semi-rural area in Oregon to
Southern California. I had to leave my cat behind because my mother would
only allow outdoors pets, and the cat would be better off in Oregon than in
California. The neighbor who took her told met that that cat was the best
pet they'd have. The neighbor's kids dressed the cat in doll clothes and
did all the same things I'd done when I was younger. The cat never bit any
of them, either.
As an adult, I adopted another calico. She was the sweetest cat you could
imagine. She insisted on sitting on my lap each evening so that I could
groom her. If I forgot or got busy, she'd come and get me. I could clip
her nails, rub her belly, anything. When she developed a liver problem, I
took her to the vet for an ultrasound. She purred when they shaved her
belly, did not complain about the gel, and lay without a struggle the whole
time during the ultrasound. She got lots of compliments from the medical
people.
Annie

Old March 2nd 05, 08:19 PM

Our calico is the meekest, most affectionate, most tender cat ever. Not
at all a biter.

Old March 2nd 05, 09:49 PM
Xlprg Xlprg

Thanks for the response everyone. Glad to know its not a calico or
female trait.
Since she came to me when she was 6 months old I have to think
that whoever had her played rough. She is getting better and I do love
her anyway.

Caro