Cat chewing on computer cables and power cords

Old May 3rd 05, 03:22 PM

Default Cat chewing on computer cables and power cords

We came home the other night and our lamp wouldn't turn on. We found
it unplugged and thought - OH isn't that strange. Until we plugged it
in and try to turn it on again and it sparked. We found this label all
torn up (it was a warning label that went around the cord to the lamp).
So was tossed the lamp and made the assumption he was after the label.
Well since they I have foun other cords with kitty marks and recently
while I was sitting at the computer I could hear ruffling behind it. I
walked around and there was KitKat chewing on the monitor cable. Not
sure what to do. We have computer type devices all over the house - my
husband is a bit of a computer geek. Beyond my concern for the damage
to his equipment, I don't want something to happen to the cat. Any
suggestions?

Thanks

Danielle
http://homepage.mac.com/roxy6671/Kit...toAlbum20.html

Old May 3rd 05, 03:39 PM
Jennifer

snip
We have computer type devices all over the house - my
husband is a bit of a computer geek. Beyond my concern for the

damage
to his equipment, I don't want something to happen to the cat. Any
suggestions?

Two solutions: Bitter tasting spray (apple, orange, chile pepper) on
the cords, and/or cable covers.

You can find cable covers practically anywhere - I've seen them at
Costco, Ikea, Staples and Office Max of course, and there are tons
online.

Just the bitter spray worked for us with our cord chewer, but we have
to remember to spray every new cord that comes into the house.

--
Jennifer

Old May 3rd 05, 04:20 PM

Did you only have to spray the cord once? Or should I make it part of
my weekly cleaning routine? What is spray called?

Old May 3rd 05, 04:33 PM
Jennifer

Did you only have to spray the cord once? Or should I make it part

of
my weekly cleaning routine? What is spray called?

I use this - says it's for dogs, but it works for our cats, too.

http://tinyurl.com/chjma

We've only needed to spray once so far - it's been about 6 months since
we first coated the cords. It probably loses potency over time, and
I'll probably re-spray again soon just to be safe, but it's not a
weekly sort of thing.

--
Jennifer

Old May 3rd 05, 06:43 PM

He actually went to the vet last month who said that his teeth were in
great shape. I just went out and bought him some new toys. Of course
my husband says - soon Kitkat will have more toys then him. :O)

Old May 4th 05, 04:51 AM
HEB via CatKB.com

My dog used to do this too and I've found that bitter apple spray works best

Old May 5th 05, 05:01 AM
bigbadbarry

walked around and there was KitKat chewing on the monitor cable. Not
sure what to do.

roll up a single leaf of newspaper...and give a cat size spanking...one
tap...and the cat is out of there...

chewing on his life?..an electrical chord? maybe youi could get 2 taps
in before he gets away.

Old May 5th 05, 07:15 AM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
walked around and there was KitKat chewing on the monitor cable. Not
sure what to do.

roll up a single leaf of newspaper...and give a cat size
spanking...one tap...and the cat is out of there...

chewing on his life?..an electrical chord? maybe youi could get 2
taps in before he gets away.

How about one of those handheld CO2 bottle powered air horns? LOL