(OT) Dad Update

Old February 24th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Dad Update

He's doing as well as can be expected given his age and general health.
They haven't had to move him back to ICU or anything like that. He does
have a cannula to keep his oxygen levels up and they're giving him IV fluids
to keep him hydrated. The doctor called last week to get some clarification
from me. He didn't know, for example, Dad had only been at the nursing home
for one day before he was rushed to the ER. He didn't know Dad had been in
the hospital prior to being transferred to Bayview. (Don't these people
write anything in the charts?!!! Grrrrr.)

He also seemed to think, prior to this, Dad used a walker or a wheelchair.
No, doc, when he was at home he was ambulatory. Slow, yes. Unsteady
sometimes, yes. But he'd walk out to the kitchen to make coffee, or get a
glass of juice, or grab a pastry to snack on. The doctor was surprised by
this, saying he didn't think Dad would be able to walk now. Duh, again.
The man has been flat on his back in a hospital bed since January 31st. I'm
not 83 but if I'd been bedridden that long I'm sure I couldn't walk either!

We visited him on Friday. He was snoozing but he woke up and talked with us
briefly. I told him the neighbor cats are still prowling around and he
grinned. We took him an adorable stuffed bunny with a plaid ribbon around
its neck; it;s on the bed next to him. He said it was time to go back to
sleep so we didn't stay long.

Jill

Old February 24th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 24, 8:07*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
He's doing as well as can be expected given his age and general health.

Keeping the purrs coming

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 24th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm glad he's doing as well as he is. I'm also very glad you had a talk
with the doctor.

Joy

Old February 24th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

So much of medicine today is about liability who knows what they even
write in charts anymore. I _am_ glad your dad sounds comfortable at
least.

Andy
Old February 24th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Lesley"
On Feb 24, 8:07 am, "jmcquown" :
He's doing as well as can be expected given his age and general health.

Keeping the purrs coming

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

We're keeping the Purrs and prayers sent your way for
your family and your Dad as well.
Love
Kyla

Old February 29th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

jmcquown wrote:
He's doing as well as can be expected given his age and general health.
They haven't had to move him back to ICU or anything like that. He does
have a cannula to keep his oxygen levels up and they're giving him IV
fluids to keep him hydrated. The doctor called last week to get some
clarification from me. He didn't know, for example, Dad had only been
at the nursing home for one day before he was rushed to the ER. He
didn't know Dad had been in the hospital prior to being transferred to
Bayview. (Don't these people write anything in the charts?!!! Grrrrr.)

snip
Jill

Lots of purrs for your family,
Polonca and Soncek