Espy not eating

Old June 30th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Billy

Default Espy not eating

And if you need to know to better define the issue there is ultrasound
that more clarly defines the kidneys, it's mass, shape, dimensions, etc.
A better diangnostic tool than the xray I think - somewhere between an
xray or more extensive CAT Scan/MRI without invasiveness other than a
shave and muscle relaxant. It can tell the doc more. It's expensive but
an option to ask your vet about if a clear dianosis is not provided yet
needed....keep us posted on the bloodwork, that might be all that is
required along w/ the xray.

"cybercat" wrote:
"dgk" wrote

Blood work won't be back until tomorrow, but the Xray showed that
the
immediate cause of his problem was that his uretha was blocked -
something worse than a mucous plug. The bladder was twice normal
size
and was impinging on the intestines preventing him from pooping.
With
three cats it's almost impossible to notice this stuff. I might
catch
one peeing or pooping but it's tough to notice one is failing to
pee/poop.

The vet expressed the bladder and Espy is apparently feeling better.
The vet said that he was eating although he just turned down his wet
food - he has apparently eaten recently. He did eat a few
Temptations
which I am happy about.

As for the underlying cause, there is definitely something going on
in
one kidney.

Oh, I was hoping it was just a simple blockage like males get so
often. Hope
it can be fixed.

Old June 30th 09, 12:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 03:29:46 +0000 (UTC), Billy
wrote:

And if you need to know to better define the issue there is ultrasound
that more clarly defines the kidneys, it's mass, shape, dimensions, etc.
A better diangnostic tool than the xray I think - somewhere between an
xray or more extensive CAT Scan/MRI without invasiveness other than a
shave and muscle relaxant. It can tell the doc more. It's expensive but
an option to ask your vet about if a clear dianosis is not provided yet
needed....keep us posted on the bloodwork, that might be all that is
required along w/ the xray.

He wouldn't eat his normal food this morning. I had to break out the
one can I have of Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats. He did eat some of that.

It's very odd - he sort of looks at the food but it's like he doesn't
see it, or maybe smell it. Even when I give him the yellow
Temptations, he watches where I put it and then sniffs around like
he's trying to find where it went. He did eat one or two more of those
this morning.

Well, nothing to do but wait for the report.
Old June 30th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:15:06 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
He doesn't eat a whole lot anyway but this morning he wouldn't eat his
normal ProlPlan Salmon and Rice (wet).

Hope he is better soon. Bless you for taking him to the vet before you
posted ... pretty unusual around here. You let him out, right? Another thing
to think of, is that he may have gotten something he should not have. Fenced
yard or not, it's the chance you take.

Cybercat wins! Maybe. Test results are in. The blockage was amorphous
urate crystals and there is some evidence of liver problems. Kidneys
are fine and no diabetes, infection, or mention of cancer.

There were some lesions on his tongue which the vet noticed when Espy
was having the X-Ray. It's not otherwise easy to check a cat's tongue.
The vet is thinking that Espy ate something that he shouldn't have
eaten. We're thinking it was something in the backyard but there are
some indoor options as well.

I have this rather pretty artificial plant which is beloved by the
Significant Other. That plant has been chewed on lately. It's going to
find a new place at the back of some closet, hopefully in someone
else's house. There are also a few houseplants. They will be examined
closely for any signs of chewing. Any found to have been chewed will
find a new home.

A thorough examination of the basement and all detergents, cleaners,
etc will be conducted. Any evidence of tampering will be dealt with
severely.

And, for a week, Espy will be banned from the backyard. Since it will
be next to impossible to keep him in while letting the others out, all
cats will be banned from going out for a week. At least that will give
me a chance to redo the deck waterproofing. I'll also conduct a
thorough examination of the backyard. A dead bird was discovered a few
days ago - very odd since the rare successful attack on a bird is
followed by the cat bringing the trophy home. No such trophy
presentation was held. Perhaps this one died of something else and
Espy nibbled at it.

Looks like I'll have to get to Trader Joe and stock a few cans of Tuna
For Cats until his appetite picks up again. At least he'll eat
something.

Now I just observe his behavior (like I can do anything else) and I
talk to the vet on Friday for another consult.
Old July 1st 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote

Cybercat wins! Maybe. Test results are in. The blockage was amorphous
urate crystals and there is some evidence of liver problems. Kidneys
are fine and no diabetes, infection, or mention of cancer.

Beautiful, dgk. I am so happy for both of you. Hope his appetite picks up
and everybody is happy and healthy again soon.

Old July 1st 09, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:06:30 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote

Cybercat wins! Maybe. Test results are in. The blockage was amorphous
urate crystals and there is some evidence of liver problems. Kidneys
are fine and no diabetes, infection, or mention of cancer.

Beautiful, dgk. I am so happy for both of you. Hope his appetite picks up
and everybody is happy and healthy again soon.

Still far from out of the woods (so to speak). He is eating some food
but not much. Actually, that's pretty much his normal pattern but
eating somewhat less.

The oddest behavior is with the Temptations. He will pick them up but
they sort of fall out of his mouth. Then he ignores them. I really
can't figure it.

I got a few minutes to examine the backyard (before the daily
torrential downpour began - this is important I think). Under the deck
are a few big old surface roots from a tree that died maybe five years
ago. They were totally white - mildew or some other kind of mold. I've
really never seen anything like it before, almost like it had snowed
on just the roots. It was so glaring that stared at it for a few
seconds before I realized what it was.

A few days ago I had noticed a stick around an inch in diameter and
four inches long that was very crumbly because it was rotting. The
middle part of it looked like something had been chewing on it. It was
around one of Espy's favorite spots on one of the steps leading down
from the deck. Maybe Espy was chewing on the stick?

Just this morning there was an ad on the radio for something I never
heard of before - Scott's Lawn Mold Fighter or something like that.
Because we have had SO much rain in June (set a 100 year record or
more) there are mold and mushrooms everywhere. I wonder if there is
going to be some epidemic of creatures dying from mold ingestion?

Plus, someone did throw up a small amount of liquid with something
white in the middle of it on some pants just the other day - when Epsy
was already sick. Damn I washed those pants - should have saved it.

I saw Espy in the litterbox this morning. He did pee successfully and
cover it up, but then he squatted again for a few seconds. Nothing
more came out but that was unusual behavior. I'll keep an eye out. I
wonder if I can set up some sort of surveillance camera on the
litterbox?

Well, I'll pass this info by the vet today and see what he says, but
I'm betting it's the mold.
Old July 1st 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

The oddest behavior is with the Temptations. He will pick them up but
they sort of fall out of his mouth. Then he ignores them. I really
can't figure it.

Maybe this has already been checked, but how are his teeth? Tooth pain
could cause this.

I saw Espy in the litterbox this morning. He did pee successfully and
cover it up, but then he squatted again for a few seconds. Nothing
more came out but that was unusual behavior. I'll keep an eye out. I
wonder if I can set up some sort of surveillance camera on the
litterbox?

It's great that he peed (seems funny to type that!). It's possible
that, even after he peed, he felt an 'urge' to go again. As long as
he's urinating, it's good. Just keep a close eye on how often he goes.
Even if you can't watch his every mood, you can get a good idea by the
size and number of clumps in the box.
Old July 2nd 09, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Billy

I think you said the xrays were ok, I assume you specifically questioned
it. Food falling out could be teeth, ESP if eating from one side/head
tilt, etc. However, my cat was doing the food drop crumbling thing and
there were no tooth issues, it was that she was refusing it.

You can setup a pan and tilt webcam that is viwable even by cell phone
PDA's. I have one eyeball style wireless cam mounted in my bow window
ceiling. I can spin it around and all when I'm on vacation to check on
the pets.i would catch them in the window sunbathing when i was away.
Trendnet TV-ip400W can be gotten for about $150 now and mounted anywhere
there is a plug, foe ex....by the litterbox and you can set the motion
detect to record still images when movement occurs. I would reccomend
that model.

You need some tech knowledge but I can help if you need it.

dgk wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:06:30 -0400, "cybercat"

"dgk" wrote

Old July 2nd 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 10:30:26 -0700 (PDT), Rene S
wrote:

[...]

Yes, his teeth are fine. Too bad; my initial hope was that it was a
tooth. Expensive but acute rather than chronic or fatal.

One of the reasons I've refused to put a cover on the litterbox was
because I always want to monitor what they're doing in there. But
since three cats use the box, unless I see the action I don't know
which one does what. Well, not exactly true. If something isn't
covered I know it was Nipsy. That big guy just doesn't want to be
bothered.

Old July 2nd 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 05:43:46 +0000 (UTC), Billy
wrote:

I think you said the xrays were ok, I assume you specifically questioned
it. Food falling out could be teeth, ESP if eating from one side/head
tilt, etc. However, my cat was doing the food drop crumbling thing and
there were no tooth issues, it was that she was refusing it.

You can setup a pan and tilt webcam that is viwable even by cell phone
PDA's. I have one eyeball style wireless cam mounted in my bow window
ceiling. I can spin it around and all when I'm on vacation to check on
the pets.i would catch them in the window sunbathing when i was away.
Trendnet TV-ip400W can be gotten for about $150 now and mounted anywhere
there is a plug, foe ex....by the litterbox and you can set the motion
detect to record still images when movement occurs. I would reccomend
that model.

..
Xray showed only an enlarged bladder, which was because it was plugged
up. Boy, that must have been uncomfortable.

He's gotten somewhat better with the Temptations. The funny thing is
that he would always ignore any Tempations that he started eating and
then dropped. It was like they weren't there once they got wet. This
morning he ate quite a few and didn't leave many crumbs.

It seems that he's getting better. He eats a little more each feeding
time, although I have to be tricky about it. First I feed him as much
as he will eat of his standard ProPlan Salmon and Rice. Then, after a
few minutes, I break out the Trader Joe Tuna for Cats, and he eats
some of that. Then I bring out the dry stuff (Royal Canin number 26)
and he eats some of that. Finally, a few Temptations.

The real problem is that he just NEVER ate very much. Finding anything
he's willing to eat wasn't easy and we finally settled on the PPS&R,
and sometimes he just walks away from that. He really is a grazer
though and likes to come back and eat a bit later. That's tough with
the feline vacuum cleaner known as Marlo sharing the house.
Old July 2nd 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

I think you said the xrays were ok, I assume you specifically questioned
it. Food falling out could be teeth, ESP if eating from one side/head
tilt, etc. However, my cat was doing the food drop crumbling thing and
there were no tooth issues, it was that she was refusing it.

You can setup a pan and tilt webcam that is viwable even by cell phone
PDA's. I have one eyeball style wireless cam mounted in my bow window
ceiling. I can spin it around and all when I'm on vacation to check on
the pets.i would catch them in the window sunbathing when i was away.
Trendnet TV-ip400W can be gotten for about $150 now and mounted anywhere
there is a plug, foe ex....by the litterbox and you can set the motion
detect to record still images when movement occurs. I would reccomend
that model.

You need some tech knowledge but I can help if you need it.

I forgot to mention the camera. Years ago I set up a cam on a cat tree
and used to just remote desktop into my home PC from work and
sometimes I'd catch them in the tree. Most times not though.

Since I am going away in a month or so, I think I will set up some
webcams. Hard to know where to place them though. One on the litterbox
is almost a must, especially if I can have it record based on motion.
Good idea.