tube of cat

Old August 4th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default tube of cat

Suddenly, without warning, Hactar exclaimed (8/3/2009 4:25 PM):
In article ,
MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:
"Hactar" wrote in message
In article ,
MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:
"Hactar" wrote in message
I'm looking at enough of these to make a series of cat-tunnels:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16126
Does anyone have one? It'd suck to drop $35 on one and have it die
after a use or two. So: How small is the screen (housefly, mosquito,
midge/no-see-um)? How durable is it? In particular does it stand up
the abrasion a cat makes on dirt or on harder surfaces? Is it
resistant to claw damage? The text says it zips together; is that the
case?
If you want an outdoor tunnel for cats,
I don't. I aim to take several of those (or a similar product) and
connect them end-to-end and make a long Habitrail-wannabe around the
ceiling of a room. Therefore I need something joinable, unlike

http://www.getprice.com.au/AFL-Merch...--38028937.htm
The first one:

http://www.collectionsetc.com/Item76111.aspx
doesn't say. I like the price and the roominess, but I wonder how I'd
form it into a corner. Maybe a wedge could be removed from one side and
the remainder stitched together, making the entire structure bend.

I am concerned about the tunnel's durability however, as I don't want
the cats to shred it.

This is puzzling. In your original message, you asked about durability *on
dirt* or *hard surfaces.* In your response to calvin, you said it is a long
way to the street. And now you are talking about connecting several around
the ceiling of a room. So, you lost me somewhere along the way...

Well, my primary intended use is to make a shelf around the upper part
of a room, and put the cat-tubes up there with a tube-ramp to the floor.
If a given tube once bought turns out to be unsuitable, I guess I'll use
it as intended, as an outdoor playpen. I'm trying to avoid buying tubes
that are unknown, as it's a chunk of change to spend on a "maybe".
Constructing a shelf and buying 5-10 of them and THEN finding out they
don't work would be even worse of course. Both in and out are on hard
surfaces (outdoor - dirt/grass, indoor - wooden shelves), but even
outdoors is pretty safe from cars. It would bite if the netting failed
where the frame touches the shelf or ground. Maybe I could spread out
the load with gaffer tape if it's not quite as tough as needed.

So, the next question - why do you need tubes for the inside? Cats are
perfectly capable of walking on wide surfaces without falling off.
Somewheres, there's a thing of an entire house someone gave over to
their cats - high walkways that go between rooms through holes in the
walls, stairs, cubbies, all sorts of things. Tunnels too, I think, but
for the cat's fun I'd think if they'd be in constant use they'd
eventually succumb to your cats' claws.

Outside, that's a bit different, but I'd still go with making sure
they're secured down, and being there all the time. If you have the
money to spend there's companies that'll build secure outdoors
enclosures for your cat. Wish I could afford one, Meep would *love* that.

jmc
Old August 4th 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

In article ,
jmc wrote:
[...]

Love of geekitude, mostly. My cats love getting in tightish spots, so
they'd probably dig it.

Somewheres, there's a thing of an entire house someone gave over to
their cats - high walkways that go between rooms through holes in the
walls, stairs, cubbies, all sorts of things. Tunnels too, I think, but
for the cat's fun I'd think if they'd be in constant use they'd
eventually succumb to your cats' claws.

Unfortunately I think that's probably true. I'll probably end up with
carpeted shelves. They're a lot easier to make (carpet, plywood,
staplegun) and install, and cheaper, and more durable. Maybe I can
build a playhouse into it, or find a small one and graft it on.

Outside, that's a bit different, but I'd still go with making sure
they're secured down, and being there all the time. If you have the
money to spend there's companies that'll build secure outdoors
enclosures for your cat.

Yeah, I don't plan on keeping them funded.

--
A Higgs boson is sitting at the bar when the phone rings. He says to
the bartender "If that's a physicist, tell him you've not seen me."
Old August 4th 09, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

Hactar wrote:
I'm looking at enough of these to make a series of cat-tunnels:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16126
Does anyone have one? It'd suck to drop $35 on one and have it die
after a use or two. So: How small is the screen (housefly, mosquito,
midge/no-see-um)? How durable is it? In particular does it stand up to
the abrasion a cat makes on dirt or on harder surfaces? Is it
resistant to claw damage? The text says it zips together; is that the
case?

I have a series of tunnels like these - one goes out of the house and up
over the roof and down into the bamboo stand (completely enclosed and
safe) My cats would always have access 24/7 and are quite safe for them
and our extensive bird life (Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Kookaburras,
Currawongs etc..)

http://www.catnip.com.au/images/phot..._1_tnail_2.jpg

the image is very small

or

http://www.catnip.com.au/photos.html

However I built mine myself out of lattice, garden quality sun proof
mesh (the sort of stuff you might tack to a wall to encourage espalier
camellias to grow against.

http://www.boddingtons.com.au/forestry/garden-mesh.htm

At the moment I only have one tiny kitten so it's out of bounds for a
little while but at one stage I had 2 Burmese and 3 ex RSPCA cats and
they all loved it.
Old August 4th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Hactar" wrote in message
In article ,
jmc wrote:
[...]

Nothing but the best for your cats, eh?

Zoo Tube James Cat health & behaviour 1 March 21st 08 02:06 PM
OT Fun Anagram London Tube Map Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 15 August 26th 06 10:27 AM
Feeding Tube quentin Cat health & behaviour 1 July 21st 06 06:20 AM
My cat had her feeding tube removed. BuZZard Cat health & behaviour 22 April 12th 05 10:42 AM