(OT) Angel Food Ministries

Old August 28th 09, 10:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Angel Food Ministries

is a program available across the US called Angel Food Ministries. You can
order boxes of food for half what it would cost at the grocery store. The
food is donated by food distributors, the same people who would supply
restaurants. The food is then distributed by local churches. But you don't
have to be a member of a church to participate. It's not free, but $30 for
enough food to feed a family of 4, that's saying something!

Info he

www.angelfoodministries.com

And the menu? It changes monthly but oh boy! Steaks, chicken, pork chops.
They have

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0909en.asp

I reserved mine a few minutes ago. You DO have to pick it up at the "host
site" on a specific day at the specified time. (If you don't they'll donate
it to a needy family, which works just as well.) It's a great idea, so
spread the word, folks.

Jill

Old August 30th 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 28, 2:47*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
is a program available across the US called Angel Food Ministries. *You can
order boxes of food for half what it would cost at the grocery store. *

I wonder if this would help out Ginger-Lynn? And some other people

I wish we had something like that over here (And yes I looked at the
menu and thought "YUM!")

Something I heard recently made me pretty disgusted at a certain chain
of stores. A lot of sandwich bars etc in London give anything that's
on date at the end of the day so it can't be sold tomorrow to
charities like the one's that do soup runs for the homeless at night
after all the food's still fine it's just they can't sell it tomorrow
and the homeless are glad of it. One near where I work personally
delivers the food to a hostel at the end of the day (little family run
business- it was from one of her regulars that I heard all about this-
he's a patient where I work). There used to be a chain called
"Benjy's" who had on their packaging that any leftover food was
delivered to St Botdolphs Church for distribution at the end of the
day- actually had something of an odd side effect with me I always
felt a little guilty using them because I figured if I didn;t buy a
sandwich them someone who really needed it might get it.

Anyway this particular chain not only doesn't give leftover food to
charity but they chuck it in the bins and in case anyone down enough
to be scrounging in bins finds it they spray blue dye on it to put
them off taking it....

That's blue dye...that;s M&S blue dye

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 30th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

this is a sore point with me, our local walmarts no longer put the food on
half offer from the deli, they no longer give it to charity, they throw it
out at the end of the day, we were agast that they made a cooker of broasted
chicken at eight thirty, two hundred peices mind, and at nine they threw
out one fifty, they made it because someone had ordered a party pak and jus
threw out perfectly good food, when they could have put it on offer or given
it to someone, Lee

Old August 30th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Stormmee" wrote in message
this is a sore point with me, our local walmarts no longer put the food on
half offer from the deli, they no longer give it to charity, they throw it
out at the end of the day, we were agast that they made a cooker of
broasted chicken at eight thirty, two hundred peices mind, and at nine
they threw out one fifty, they made it because someone had ordered a party
pak and jus threw out perfectly good food, when they could have put it on
offer or given it to someone, Lee

This is a difficult issue, and it is more complex than it may seem at first
glance. That food really *should* be going to someone who can use it, and
we have some local charities that often receive food that otherwise would go
to waste. However, some businesses have found that people will deliberately
place orders just so there will be "excess" at the end of the day. In
similar way (related to our cats), some companies used to put damaged bags
of pet food and bird seed on deep discount. I think WalMart was one of
them. Then they discovered that some people were deliberately breaking some
of the bags and would then take them to the counter with a request for a
discount! But I agree, it's a sad situation--an outrage, really--to see
good food deliberately ruined to prevent anyone from making use of it.

MaryL

Old August 30th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I agree there are some scumbags in the world and i even understand not
putting it on offer, but at least here in IL i think there is a good
samaratine law that protects the business from liability if they donate the
food so i get a bit deranged at it not being donated, i am not one hundred
percent sure about the good samaratine law it might be MO that has it but if
you have ever been hungry this type of thing is a killer, in general our
walmarts are pretty good about most things but this one just kkills me, Lee

Old August 30th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown" wrote:

is a program available across the US called Angel Food Ministries. You can
order boxes of food for half what it would cost at the grocery store.

Yes, my mother was getting that until she recently moved. They not
only have their main food box, which contains an assortment of packaged
foods plus some meat, but they also offer meat-only and veggie-only
boxes. The latter two were much better for my mother, as she is a Type
I diabetic and really can't eat a lot of the food they put in the main
box (high glycemic stuff like french fries, rice, etc).

The main box was $30/ month and the meat and veggie boxes were $25 each.
She still had to supplement what she got in the box, but it was a lot
of savings.

Joyce

--
Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:
"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old August 31st 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about WalMart (I despise the place). I do know when I worked
in restaurants (granted this was a long time ago) the health department
wouldn't let them donate "leftovers" at the end of the night. I'd watch
them throw away tons of rolls, biscuits, garlic bread and huge (!) trays of
baked potatoes. Surely a soup kitchen could have used the food. But the
health department laws prevented them from donating it. Baked potato soup
is wonderful G They could have fed a lot of people with what I saw them
throwing in the trash every night.

Jill

Save a little Angel :-) HeartofGold Cat community 0 November 6th 07 01:41 AM
Angel is Really Sick [email protected] Cat anecdotes 41 August 28th 05 11:05 PM
Angel Update [email protected] Cat anecdotes 8 August 21st 05 05:52 PM
OT - New Angel Cheryl Cat anecdotes 61 December 6th 04 04:56 AM
Mubu and Angel: RB John Kimmel Cat anecdotes 32 June 29th 04 08:20 PM