(OT) Angel Food Ministries Part 2

Old September 27th 09, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default (OT) Angel Food Ministries Part 2

Sherry wrote:

I dropped it because it seemed to go through a phase where the food
was horrible, high-fat, and highly processed. Not healthy by any
definition. Pre-fried frozen potatoes with tons of saturated fat,
"TV Dinner" type meals with ultra greasy and salty salisbury steak
and instant mashed potatoes. Pre-made frozen burritos.

Ugh! Sounds horrible. My mother was getting it for a while, but it wasn't
good for her either because she's diabetic and can't eat all the high-carb
stuff she would get.

Then recently they introduced a fresh fruit & veggie box, and a meat-only
box. Nothing heavily processed. My mom was happy about that, but then she
moved out (long story!) and no longer gets the box at all.

Joyce

--
Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur.
Old September 27th 09, 10:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"MLB" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
We drove over to the Lutheran church to pick up the food I from Angel
Food Ministries. I cannot believe everything I got for $30! The
September "menu" consisted of three very nice looking 8-oz. ribeye
steaks; a package of chicken breast halves; a bag of chicken thighs;
four good sized pork chops; a package of turkey burgers; a pound of
ground beef; fresh frozen green beans; frozen sweet potatoes; a bag of
russet potatoes; a dozen eggs; a half gallon of 2% milk; a can of
frozen orange juice concentrate. You couldn't walk out of a grocery
store with all this food at that price.

It's too bad the web site doesn't mention you should bring your own box
or a cooler. Maybe it's different in different locations. (They had
an empty box for us, thank goodness.) It worked like an assembly line.
We slid the box box down this line of folding tables. Depending on the
sticker they give you when you check in, the volunteers each put
something in your box. One volunteer said, "It's like cafeteria style
dining, except everything is uncooked and frozen". An apt description!

If this service is available in your area I seriously suggest you take
advantage of it. It's available to anyone. The October menu is he

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0910en2.asp

There's a place on the site to search to see if you can order and pick
up in your area. The only caveat is they have very specific pickup
times.

I'll definitely be doing this again. I still can't get over how much
food I got for $30. If I order one of the October boxes I won't have
to shop for the next 6 months! LOL

Jill

I thought this type of charity was for people "in need".
A number of years ago two neighbors stopped me and each had a block
(about 2 lb) of cheese which they had obtained because they were
"elderly" They were millionaires! They suggested I go get some because
it was free and you only had to be "elderly" I told them I was still
capable of buying my own. Incidentally, the drive was called off
because too many people like them had taken advantage of the giveaway.

Most of the food "giveaway" programs are intended for people with limited
financial resources. I donate to some of those organizations, and I
consider it an abuse when people take advantage when they don't need it.
However, Angel Food Ministries seems to be the exception. We have one in
our town. I have never used it, but it seems to be intended for
"everyone," almost like a co-op. In fact, the FAQ says there are no
applications or qualifications. Here is the FAQ:
http://www.angelfoodministries.com/a..._questions.asp

MaryL

Thanks for the interesting information Our Food Bank has had "drives"
all summer because they run out of food.
MLB

This isn't a Food Bank; there's a difference. I wouldn't ask for food from
the Food Bank. I donated to the Food Bank in Memphis every chance I got,
even when I was struggling because I know what it's like to have no money
and no food. The FAQ explains it. I see no reason not to take advantage of
a program like this. I inherited a house, yes. Along with property taxes,
repair bills, etc. I don't have unlimited financial resources so if I can
get a box of food for $30 why not? It makes good sense to conserve what
funds I do have. This area isn't exactly bustling with job opportunities
for someone my age. I'm too old to wait tables.

Jill

Old September 27th 09, 10:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

I dropped it because it seemed to go through a phase where the food
was horrible, high-fat, and highly processed. Not healthy by any
definition. Pre-fried frozen potatoes with tons of saturated fat,
"TV Dinner" type meals with ultra greasy and salty salisbury steak
and instant mashed potatoes. Pre-made frozen burritos.

Ugh! Sounds horrible. My mother was getting it for a while, but it wasn't
good for her either because she's diabetic and can't eat all the high-carb
stuff she would get.

Then recently they introduced a fresh fruit & veggie box, and a meat-only
box. Nothing heavily processed. My mom was happy about that, but then she
moved out (long story!) and no longer gets the box at all.

Joyce

None of the stuff I got was pre-processed. They do still offer those
Senior/Convenience boxes, which is basically TV Dinners. The box I got was
all fresh or raw (the meats were frozen, but uncooked, not pre-prepared).
I'll be spending time in the kitchen. They do offer a fresh fruit & veggie
box, too. But I can get locally grown veggies for a couple of bucks from
the farm stands around here, in season.

They also offer an Allergen Free box (the web site says "Processed to
eliminate the eight top serious allergens: Peanuts, Soybeans, Milk, Eggs,
Fish, Crustacea, Tree Nuts and Gluten (wheat, rye and barley)". Yeah, but
everything IS processed and it's all breaded (even if they do use rice
flour). I'm sorry, I don't want everything I eat to be "breaded".

Jill

Old September 27th 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

[...]

I'll bet anyone that is coping with food allergies for themselves or
someone else would love to have that, in addition to fresh foods
they prepare themselves of course.

Jo

Old September 27th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

[...]

Some fo the best chicken wings I have ever had comes in those boxes

IMO The senior boxes are over priced for what you get. For the price yo can
go dow nto walmart and buy a hungry man dinner for less and get more

Old September 27th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"MLB" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Ok I am really tired of people thinking this. THIS IS NOT A PLACE THAT YOU
GO THAT YOU NEED TO BE POOR OR ON WELFARE. Sorry blunt terms but it
really annoys me when and if some one assumes that ( Not saying you are I
can't read your mind but it looks like it)

Angel food buys food in massive bulk, it has distributors, food growers
just for them and they resells the food. The profits goes to help
charities and organizations that do help the needy and people in trouble it
was started in 1994 to help feed the families of laid off factory workers by
a wonderful husband and wife below is their history. They even participate
in the food stamp program which is even lower cost to help families in need.
..
In 1994, Pastors Joe and Linda Wingo found their hearts going out to the
families of many of the local families in Monroe, GA, affected by the recent
industrial plant closings. On their back porch, the first Angel Food
distribution fed 34 families. Over the next years, other churches wanted to
be get involved, and Angel Food began feeding hundreds of families across
the southeast. Now, Angel Food feeds over 500,000 families a month in 35
states.

I gladly go buy a $30 box of food that can feed a family of 4 for a week or
one of us old farts for a month. The meat box is well worth the price so
is the fruit box. This is in no way cheap or crap food products. If you
don't want to take advantage of saving money and helping out people in need
Well that is your choice for all that choose it.

1.5 lb. New York Strips Steaks (3 x 8 oz.)

1 lb. Steak Fajita Strips

2 lb. Chicken Stir Fry Skillet Meal

1 lb. Lean Ground Beef

1.5 lb. Breaded White Meat Chicken Tenders

1 lb. avg. Center Cut Ham Steaks (Hickory Smoked)

1 lb. Bake or Fry Fish Sticks (32 sticks)

1 lb. Pasta

25 oz. Marinara Sauce

1 lb. Frozen Baby Lima Beans

1 lb. Frozen Mixed Vegetables

2 lb. bag Fresh Apples (8-10 ct.)

10 ct. Flour Tortilla Wraps

32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk

Dozen Eggs

Dessert

Balanced nutrition and variety with enough food to feed a family of four for
a week $30

I recently priced this local $73.00 that is $43 more dollars a week to
feed the snub gods in my house and put away for their care.

Below is a link to next month items if you sign up for the email you get
pictures of what you will get

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0910en2.asp

The thanksgiving box is WELL WORTH IT

Thanksgiving Holiday Box $36.00

7 lb. (avg.) Perdue Roaster 2 lb. Frozen Green Beans 4.5 oz.
Brown Gravy Mix
2.5 lb. Boneless Netted Ham 1 lb. Frozen Cranberries 1 Dessert
Item (Pie or Cake)
2 lb. Frozen Diced Sweet Potatoes 17 oz. Ready to Cook Corn
Bread Dressing 1 Recipe Sheet with scripture
3.5 lb. (avg.) Frozen Corn Cobbett's (12) 8 ct. Heat and Serve
Large Dinner Roll

Old September 28th 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"MLB" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Matthew! Besides which, I must mention this isn't a "charity" in
the strict sense of the word. It's certainly not the equivalent of the
government subsidizing dairy farmers by buying up then giving away cheese.
(That was some good Wisconsin cheddar, BTW. And the program wasn't
discontinued because too many rich people were getting free cheese. It was
a "bailout", except back then it was the dairy farmers, not automobile
manufacturers.)

Angel food buys food in massive bulk, it has distributors, food growers
just for them and they resells the food. The profits goes to help
charities and organizations that do help the needy and people in trouble
it was started in 1994 to help feed the families of laid off factory
workers by a wonderful husband and wife below is their history. They even
participate in the food stamp program which is even lower cost to help
families in need.

Yep. The reason I keep posting about this is because there seem to be some
folks here who are struggling due to job losses, high vet bills, etc.
There's nothing wrong with saving money. Why spend $80 when you can get it
for $30?

In 1994, Pastors Joe and Linda Wingo found their hearts going out to
the families of many of the local families in Monroe, GA, affected by the
recent industrial plant closings. On their back porch, the first Angel
Food distribution fed 34 families. Over the next years, other churches
wanted to be get involved, and Angel Food began feeding hundreds of
families across the southeast. Now, Angel Food feeds over 500,000
families a month in 35 states.

It's a shame it's not available everywhere but more churches seem to be
joining up. I'd never heard of Angel Food Ministries until a few years ago.
It was mentioned by Blinky the Shark (RB) on rec.food.cooking. I wish I'd
known about it when I was really struggling but wasn't yet "poor enough"
(heh) to qualify for food stamps. I know for sure kilikini (Christy, RB and
I miss her!) could have benefitted from this program.

I gladly go buy a $30 box of food that can feed a family of 4 for a week
or one of us old farts for a month. The meat box is well worth the price
so is the fruit box. This is in no way cheap or crap food products. If
you don't want to take advantage of saving money and helping out people
in need Well that is your choice for all that choose it.

Exactly. This is enough food to last me a month, supplemented with
purchasing some other fresh vegetables from local farm stands. Why
shouldn't I take advantage of this? I don't have unlimited financial
resources.

There's a reason Angel Food Ministries has very narrow pick-up times, too.
If you don't get there on the designated date between very strict hours
(here it was Saturday between 9AM and 10:30AM), they DONATE your order (you
have to prepay for it) to local food banks, shelters, etc. I'm willing to
bet a lot of people order then forget about it or don't bother to go pick it
up. The food doesn't go to waste.

Jill

Old October 3rd 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 27, 2:10*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
*I don't have unlimited financial resources so if I can
get a box of food for $30 why not? *It makes good sense to conserve what
funds I do have. *.

Sounds like a good idea to me- pity we don't have something like this
over here. Not so much for me and Dave but I know people struggling on
low wages who could certainly make use of it as could friends of mine
who have lost jobs. Then again frankly looking at what's in the box
I'd have one

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

(OT) Angel Food Ministries jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 18 August 31st 09 06:31 PM
Homemade cat food: part II [email protected] Cat anecdotes 9 May 9th 07 09:47 PM
Part Lion.. Part Tiger IBen Getiner Cat health & behaviour 7 June 11th 05 03:35 AM
OT - New Angel Cheryl Cat anecdotes 61 December 6th 04 03:56 AM
Josi, part Siamese, part Stegosaurus? Rainy-Day-Laughter Cat anecdotes 10 February 1st 04 04:29 PM