(OT) Bittersweet

Old October 22nd 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Bittersweet

Nearly a year after my mother's death last November and well over that since
the death of my father, I packed up their clothes for donation to the SA
(Salvation Army) this week. The boxes are stacked in the garage awaiting
pickup next week.

It was difficult enough to unload their closets and dressers, which I mostly
did over the course of a few months. It was another thing entirely to
really go through the items and box them up. I'd run into things, like a
wool shirt I bought for my father or a sweater I'd sent to my mother... I'd
sigh, then pack them in the box. But I know they will be offered
inexpensively at the SA store (unlike Goodwill which by all accounts jacks
up the prices on donated goods in order to make a profit).

Since the animal shelter said they wouldn't take sheets and blankets I did
contact the SA and they said sure, bring 'em on! They also said they didn't
have a problem with taking used (we're not talking raggedy) long
underwear... the woman said those fly off the shelves at their shop. It
doesn't get really cold here but if you're elderly you do feel the chill in
the air. So I boxed those up, too. It's bittersweet but it needed to be
done. People in need will be able to get clothing and other household items
inexpensively.

I encourage anyone who has anything they aren't using, any clothing,
household items, even tchotchkes: donate them to the thrift shop of your
choice.

OB Cats: Persia has been playing like mad since the slight drop in temps.
It's been in the high 70's (farenheit) to lower 80's here. It's quite a
drop from the 90's of two weeks ago, especially without the humidity. It's
Fall! I've had the windows open. She feels great. She's having a lot of
fun tossing toy mousies around and licking her catnip filled sock like mad
Given her increased activity I believe she's dropped a few pounds, to
boot! She's happy, healthy and purrs a lot. G

Jill

Old October 22nd 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
But I know they
will be offered inexpensively at the SA store (unlike Goodwill which by
all accounts jacks up the prices on donated goods in order to make a
profit).

What's wrong with the Goodwill making a profit???? The money goes to a
further their primary purpose of helping the indigent, doesn't it?

Since the animal shelter said they wouldn't take sheets and blankets

I find it difficult to understand why they would not! Even my vet posts
signs in their office requesting patrons' used towels and bedding for
use in their boarding facility.
Old October 22nd 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
But I know they will be offered inexpensively at the SA store (unlike
Goodwill which by all accounts jacks up the prices on donated goods in
order to make a profit).

What's wrong with the Goodwill making a profit???? The money goes to a
further their primary purpose of helping the indigent, doesn't it?

Not to the point of the PROFITS sending "Executves" on "retreats" to golf
course resorts, vacations to Maui... these are "business meetings". YEAH,
RIGHT. I'm not giving money to them or the United Way for the same reason
No way, no how. Find a local charity shop. I probably will for my own
items I should never have moved here. LOL

Jill

Old October 22nd 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:
But I know they will be offered inexpensively at the SA store (unlike
Goodwill which by all accounts jacks up the prices on donated goods in
order to make a profit).

What's wrong with the Goodwill making a profit???? The money goes to a
further their primary purpose of helping the indigent, doesn't it?

Not to the point of the PROFITS sending "Executves" on "retreats" to golf
course resorts, vacations to Maui... these are "business meetings". YEAH,
RIGHT. I'm not giving money to them or the United Way for the same reason
No way, no how. Find a local charity shop. I probably will for my own
items I should never have moved here. LOL

Jill

If you can't find a charity shop, there's always Freecycle.

Joy

Old October 23rd 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
I find it difficult to understand why they would not! Even my vet posts
signs in their office requesting patrons' used towels and bedding for use
in their boarding facility.

You apparently missed the entire discussion shelter donations some weeks
back, Evelyn. I called the animal shelter. They said they don't accept
used towels or *flannel* sheets because the dogs rip them up and eat them,
often causing obstructions. They didn't mention cats, they simply said no
towels or flannel sheets.

Jill

Old October 23rd 09, 12:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:
But I know they will be offered inexpensively at the SA store (unlike
Goodwill which by all accounts jacks up the prices on donated goods in
order to make a profit).

What's wrong with the Goodwill making a profit???? The money goes to a
further their primary purpose of helping the indigent, doesn't it?

Not to the point of the PROFITS sending "Executves" on "retreats" to golf
course resorts, vacations to Maui... these are "business meetings".
YEAH, RIGHT. I'm not giving money to them or the United Way for the same
reason No way, no how. Find a local charity shop. I probably will for
my own items I should never have moved here. LOL

Jill

If you can't find a charity shop, there's always Freecycle.

Joy

I love the concept of Freecycle. But someone here once mentioned having
trouble after posting something on Freecycle. I can't recall the details...

Jill

Old October 23rd 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:37:05 -0700 (PDT), hopitus
wrote:

I have, in many years, only had one beef with the SA and that is that
here in
MileHigh they insisted you could not charge anything that did not cost
at least
$5. In other words, a five-buck minimum charge for credit cards. This
was b.s.
as the card banks swarm on anyone who enforces this on customers.
Since
I have lived here, someone straightened the SA out re that beef, and
they no
longer adhere to it. I am far more a customer than a donor.

Bank fees take a big chunk out of small purchases. It is more
charitable to pay cash. I think I would break out in hives if I
charged a five dollar purchase. The very thought of the bank fees
makes me itch. I am no fan of banks.

Bud