Grunting noises from 8 mo old kitten

Old April 30th 05, 07:57 PM
Cindy via CatKB.com

Default Grunting noises from 8 mo old kitten

My 8 month old female kitten grunts when she cleans herself. Should I be
worried? Can grunting be an indication of something to come, like asthma or
something?

Thank you.
Cindy

Old April 30th 05, 08:52 PM
Cindy via CatKB.com

[Well, it doesn't sound like asthma. I think she would cough at other times
than just cleaning. Is she kind of overweight at all? That might account
for it.]

Hi Karen. No, she isn't at all overweight, in fact the opposite - not
emaciated or anything - just small. No coughing, either. Sneezing every now
and again but her eyes and nose are clear.

I've just never heard a cat grunt like this one does when she cleans
herself, and also when she is making herself comfortable on my lap.

Thanks for the reply.
Cindy

Old April 30th 05, 09:14 PM
Mary

"Cindy via CatKB.com" wrote:

I've just never heard a cat grunt like this one does when she cleans
herself, and also when she is making herself comfortable on my lap.

My Buddha is a big grunter. She was before she became
overweight, according to her previous owner. She grunts when
she is asleep, when she is grooming, and when she wants to let
me know that I am making her miserable. I pet her lovingly before
she gets her pills twice a day, but as soon as I tilt her head back
she says "nnngghh nnngggghhh nnnnngggghhh," meaning, I think,
"oh, no, not again, why me, why, why whe ohhhhhhh ...."

She also snores and whistles in her sleep and hisses anytime
she feels the slightest disapproval, such as when the human
providing the lap must move. I think it is just one of your
cats ways of expressing herself.

Old April 30th 05, 10:15 PM
Cindy via CatKB.com

To Karen and Diane and Mary,

Thanks for the replies. Glad to read others sound like this. She isn't due
for her yearly for a few months and I didn't want to take such a young
hopefully healthy kitten in for a vet visit early if it wasn't odd, but of
course I would if necessary.

Old April 30th 05, 10:43 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Cindy via CatKB.com wrote:
[Well, it doesn't sound like asthma. I think she would cough at other
times than just cleaning. Is she kind of overweight at all? That
might account for it.]

Hi Karen. No, she isn't at all overweight, in fact the opposite - not
emaciated or anything - just small. No coughing, either. Sneezing
every now and again but her eyes and nose are clear.

I've just never heard a cat grunt like this one does when she cleans
herself, and also when she is making herself comfortable on my lap.

Thanks for the reply.
Cindy

Hah! You should hear Ping & Ernie. they are grunters. And Ping snores!!!

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 1st 05, 03:15 AM
Joe Canuck

Cindy via CatKB.com wrote:

My 8 month old female kitten grunts when she cleans herself. Should I be
worried? Can grunting be an indication of something to come, like asthma or
something?

Thank you.
Cindy

If she has not been to the vet for a general checkup, now is a good time
to take her.

Grunting? ...perhaps she does that while farting. Smell any noxious
fumes?