Does A Cat's Color Affect Personality/ Disposition?

Old December 21st 04, 04:23 AM
Slimpickins

Default Does A Cat's Color Affect Personality/ Disposition?

I'd read an interesting article several months ago that my sister sent/
emailed me which related a cat's color to their personality.

For example, it said that white cats were often relatively "calm" in nature.
I know nothing about a cat is necessarily 'etched in stone', yada- yada, but
I'm curious about other's experiences in having a white cat...? Other
colors, etc? Anyone care to share?

ML

Old December 21st 04, 04:53 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Slimpickins" wrote in message
I'd read an interesting article several months ago that my sister sent/
emailed me which related a cat's color to their personality.

For example, it said that white cats were often relatively "calm" in

nature.
I know nothing about a cat is necessarily 'etched in stone', yada- yada,

but
I'm curious about other's experiences in having a white cat...? Other
colors, etc? Anyone care to share?

Persoanlly - based on my calico cat, I think there's something to the belief
that calicos have split personalities: half super-devil, half very sweet.

Cathy

Old December 21st 04, 06:00 AM
Slimpickins

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

"Slimpickins" wrote in message
I'd read an interesting article several months ago that my sister sent/
emailed me which related a cat's color to their personality.

For example, it said that white cats were often relatively "calm" in

nature.
I know nothing about a cat is necessarily 'etched in stone', yada- yada,

but
I'm curious about other's experiences in having a white cat...? Other
colors, etc? Anyone care to share?

Persoanlly - based on my calico cat, I think there's something to the

belief
that calicos have split personalities: half super-devil, half very sweet.

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Years ago, I had a beautiful calico kitten who was truly as pretty as a
painting! She was named Cali, and she had beautiful marked, medium soft fur.
She was super gorgous with a verrry sweet and cool personality.

She was really sooo dramatic, it was funny! She'd always somehow* get onto
my 6 shelf ( high) book case and literally pose! I took a photo of her once
(of course :-)- starring* at the camera. If she'd have been 'human' then
she definetly would have been an actress, probably 'Greta Garbo', but much
sweeter ;-)!

ML

Old December 21st 04, 08:45 AM
Laila

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:53:13 -0500, "Cathy Friedmann"
wrote:

"Slimpickins" wrote in message
I'd read an interesting article several months ago that my sister sent/
emailed me which related a cat's color to their personality.

For example, it said that white cats were often relatively "calm" in

nature.
I know nothing about a cat is necessarily 'etched in stone', yada- yada,

but
I'm curious about other's experiences in having a white cat...? Other
colors, etc? Anyone care to share?

Persoanlly - based on my calico cat, I think there's something to the belief
that calicos have split personalities: half super-devil, half very sweet.

we used to have a calico in RUssia and she was all sweet. she gave me
cat back massages when i let her back in fromt he outside at night. i
miss her. her name was Murka, just like our cat at my mom's house,
but this one is all devil.

-L
Old December 21st 04, 10:33 AM
-L.

People will argue about this until the cows come home. I totally think
*some* color genes must be linked to some behavioral genes. Big Orange
males, black and white tuxedo males and Big Black males have always,
always been sweet cats, IME, and in the experience of others I know.
Torties and calicos are quirky - more quirky than other cats. Grey
tabbies have a specific air about them as well.

If cats of certain breeds act similarly within their breed, why does it
seem so unusual for certain color types to behave similarly? There is
little doubt that behavioral genes exist - there's no reason they
couldn't be color-linked.

-L.

Old December 21st 04, 01:03 PM
Barb

My three cats are all black and they all have different personalities.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old December 21st 04, 04:02 PM
Dick Peavey

"Slimpickins" wrote in message
I'd read an interesting article several months ago that my sister
sent/
emailed me which related a cat's color to their personality.

For example, it said that white cats were often relatively "calm" in
nature.
I know nothing about a cat is necessarily 'etched in stone', yada-
yada, but
I'm curious about other's experiences in having a white cat...? Other
colors, etc? Anyone care to share?

Perhaps indirectly. The cat's coloring might affect how people regard
and treat it, and thus affect its personality.

I don't know how you are going to separate the observer from the
observed on this question.

Dick

Old December 21st 04, 05:31 PM
-L.

Barb wrote:
My three cats are all black and they all have different

personalities.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Do you have a big, fat black male (neutered)? If so is he a total
baby/love bug?

-L.

Old December 21st 04, 09:47 PM
Rob

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Barb wrote:
My three cats are all black and they all have different

personalities.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Do you have a big, fat black male (neutered)? If so is he a total
baby/love bug?

-L.

i have one of those, he's in my lap kneeding me as i type...get off
the(#$( keybas-993oard!!!
my other two blacks are similar, one long hair kitten female, one short hair
male (brother of
this one in my lap). they are all loving and sweet, though the short hair
is sort of insecure. he's
been crying a lot lately at closed closet doors and such and wants a lot of
lap time.

the grey and white long hair female just does her own thing. she's sweet
when she wants
to be, but that's not very often.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:37 AM
Spot

I will 2nd the opinion about the calico's. I have had two of them both have
jeckly & hyde personalities and my mom has one who is just completely
bonkers.

Celeste