Re-Naming

Old June 12th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default Re-Naming

When I got my RB first cat, my friend and I had to chase two kittens
around her ex-boyfriends house. When we caught one, we were exhausted
and went home. I had everything prepared for the kitten and I was also
prepared, after the ordeal of capture, for the kitten to run and hide.
I had intended to get the female, the ex-bf had one of each, and named
her "Princess."

When the kitten came out of the woodwork the next day and introduced
himself properly, it was clear that we had erred. However, he
introduced himself so nicely, he was such a lively and affectionate
feller, that I called up his former and found out that he didn't mind
my taking the boy, although he had a slight preference for keeping
him.

So, Princess became "The kitten formerly known as Princess" and then
"Feather" because he could walk on me without my feeling it. He still
could went he went RB six short years later. I miss him.

Anyway, Micki has found someone who will do a DNA test on Buddy, our
Severe Macaw, almost for free. it is the only way that you can find
their gender, unless they go ahead and breed and then you would know.

She says that she will change Buddy's name to "Cookie" if Buddy is a
girl. I think that is wrong. She is using my Princess/Feather story
against me but my cat only had that first name for a few hours. Buddy
doesn't say his name. However, he says hello, brat, come-here, Bear,
come-hereBear and pretty. I think anyone who know so many words knows
his name. How can I get Micki not to change Buddy's name.

Will in New Haven

Old June 12th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:25:44 +0000, Will in New Haven wrote:

[...]

Just keep calling him "Buddy". MLB

Old June 12th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Buddy isn't just a guy name. When I was growing up, my dad's partner and
cousin and best friend was named Stanley. His wife's name was Buddy. Mom
and Dad and Stanley are gone now, but Buddy is still living in Florida with
her son.

To the best of my knowledge it is her given name. I've never heard of any
other name for her. Still get a card from her every year at Christmas.

Jo

(And for that matter on the old gangster shows, Cookie is often a nickname
for a guy. Usually either a cook or former cook or a bootlegger with a
really good recipe.)

Old June 13th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:01:49 +0000, mlbriggs wrote:

[...]

Another thought: Buddy is synonymous for "friend".
I am reminded of a very old song entitled "My Buddy". mlb

Old June 13th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Will in New Haven wrote:

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your problem, but I just had to LOL
at this:

So, Princess became "The kitten formerly known as Princess"

Old June 13th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Will in New Haven wrote:
Anyway, Micki has found someone who will do a DNA test on Buddy, our
Severe Macaw, almost for free. it is the only way that you can find
their gender, unless they go ahead and breed and then you would know.

She says that she will change Buddy's name to "Cookie" if Buddy is a
girl. I think that is wrong.

Will in New Haven

You're absolutely right; the sex of hookbills cannot be determined without a
DNA test. Frankly, I don't think Buddy cares what his/her name is. My
Fischer Lovebird is named Peaches. I have no idea if the bird is male or
female, although some instinct tells me female so I refer to Peaches as a
"she". She knows when I say "Peaches!" I'm talking to her. It would
confuse the heck out of her if I suddenly started calling her "Frank" just
because I found out she's a he. That, in and of itself, is a strong reason
*not* to rename Buddy.

Jill