Shrek Meets the Prime Minister

Old May 4th 04, 01:31 AM
Bev

Default Shrek Meets the Prime Minister

Shrek survived his coat being removed and has been flown to Parliament
to meet the Prime Minister of New Zealand - see story :-

"Shrek's golden egg

By Chris Morris

Kaye Parker just cannot stop laughing, now the charity she represents,
Cure Kids, is to receive at least
$55,000 from the sale of wool shorn from Shrek, the celebrity merino
sheep.

"I know," she said, laughing with amazement when contacted by the Otago
Daily Times yesterday.

"It's amazing when you think two weeks ago we did not really know Shrek
existed . . . I must stop
laughing," she said.

The money had been raised through donations, public appearances by Shrek
for fund-raising
events and an online auction that finished at midday yesterday.

The website for the auction, www.shrekauction.co.nz, received 20,000
hits in a week, with buyers
bidding up to $1500 to own one of 500 pieces of Shrek's fleece, she
said.

One of two special Icebreaker garments for sale was bought by the
Icebreaker company, which
paid $10,000 for its own product, she said. The second Icebreaker
garment sold for $5000.

"New Zealanders and Australians were definitely the biggest bidders, but
we definitely also had
sales from around the world - Japan, America, Italy and other parts of
the world."

Those who had missed out were now ringing in, trying to secure one of
the few lots that had not sold
at auction.

Shrek, meanwhile, was flown to Wellington yesterday for a meeting today
with Prime Minister
Helen Clark. He was transported in the cargo compartment of a Qantas
flight, in a purpose-built
"Shrek container" that met the airline's requirements - and Shrek's.

"He's a Hollywood star now," Mrs Parker said.

Monday, 3-May 2004 "

Apparently he had a specially heated container and a lot of people shook
his hoof and photographed him. He is to live out his life in the lap
of luxury and at some stage will be taken back to view his old cave
where he lived for six years

Bev
--
I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.
Old May 4th 04, 02:53 AM
Karen Chuplis

OK, I have to ask, how did the Shrek story start? I only caught part of the
news piece where it showed him being shaved and what he looked like before.
I'm not quite sure how it all started.

Karen

Old May 4th 04, 04:00 AM
Bev

Karen Chuplis wrote:

OK, I have to ask, how did the Shrek story start? I only caught part of the
news piece where it showed him being shaved and what he looked like before.
I'm not quite sure how it all started.

Karen

I did an earlier posting, Karen. It is still there just called Shrek
OT. Shrek spent six years hiding out in a cave in the high country of
New Zealand. You can just imagine the amount of wool he had on him.
After that he became quite a celebrity.

Bev
--
I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.

Old May 4th 04, 03:53 PM
Sheenah

"Bev" wrote in message
Shrek survived his coat being removed and has been flown to

Parliament
to meet the Prime Minister of New Zealand - see story :-

"Shrek's golden egg

By Chris Morris

snip

This story has movie potential :^)

LOL imagining the auditions for the lead role :^)

Sheenah

Shrek OT Bev Cat anecdotes 38 May 2nd 04 09:13 AM
OT attack on Swedish Foreign Minister lewe Cat anecdotes 23 September 12th 03 10:46 PM