Holiday cards

Old December 7th 05, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Holiday cards

I am sending a few off day by day. It's really shocking how much overseas
postage is for each card. 68p. I sent 10 today.
I really wanted to send to everyone on the list especially those on receive
only as I was on receive only last year because I'd been very ill.
To be sensible, although I really want to do it I realise my budget won't
allow me to send to everyone on the list.
I've decided I'll send to everyone I know who posts on rpca. Plus BlueBird.
Although I don't know her, she is ill, just like I was last year.
And a few on receive only. Please excuse me if you don't get a card from us
this year, I hope to do better next year. Sorry.

Tweed

Old December 7th 05, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
I am sending a few off day by day. It's really shocking how much
overseas postage is for each card. 68p. I sent 10 today.
I really wanted to send to everyone on the list especially those on
receive only as I was on receive only last year because I'd been very
ill.
To be sensible, although I really want to do it I realise my budget
won't allow me to send to everyone on the list.
I've decided I'll send to everyone I know who posts on rpca. Plus
BlueBird. Although I don't know her, she is ill, just like I was last
year.
And a few on receive only. Please excuse me if you don't get a card
from us this year, I hope to do better next year. Sorry.

Tweed

You see why I'm offering e-cards? It's very expensive to do all the
postage. I sent a paper card to my parents who don't have a computer (and
who wouldn't know what to do with one if they did!). Even for them I sent a
card I'd bought a lot of back around the year 2001... they won't remember
it!

Cards and postage are expensive and they have other things to worry about.
So don't you worry, Christine. I know your thoughts are here for the
holidays. Take care.

Jill & Persia & Peaches

Old December 7th 05, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I feel in a sort of special situation regarding this. In 2004 I'd been off
work for ages through eye ops, at Christmas I was in a no wage situation
before getting back to work in January. I felt okay about being receive
only that year. I was resolved to send to everyone this year to make up for
it.
Hmmm. I hadn't counted on getting ovarian cancer this year and being rushed
into hospital in April :-( A major op in May, leading me again into a no
wage situation.. I went back too early to work in August.
My manager said to me only the other day "You were on Fuller's Earth rather
than the real Earth when you came back!" Too many meds, I guess.
I had so many get well cards from rpca, and flowers at that time, it really
made a difference.
So I will try to send all the holiday cards I can, and for any who miss out,
I'll try and do better next year. Promise.

Tweed
(yours is on the way, Jill)

Old December 7th 05, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
I am sending a few off day by day. It's really shocking how much
overseas postage is for each card. 68p. I sent 10 today.
I really wanted to send to everyone on the list especially those on
receive only as I was on receive only last year because I'd been very
ill.
To be sensible, although I really want to do it I realise my budget
won't allow me to send to everyone on the list.
I've decided I'll send to everyone I know who posts on rpca. Plus
BlueBird. Although I don't know her, she is ill, just like I was last
year.
And a few on receive only. Please excuse me if you don't get a card
from us this year, I hope to do better next year. Sorry.

Tweed

Postage cost was the reason I sent small cards to everyone, as they were
under 10 grammes they only cost 47p for international and 42p for europe. It
would have cost roughly another £8.00 if I'd sent bigger cards.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old December 7th 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I am sending a few off day by day. It's really shocking how much overseas
postage is for each card. 68p. I sent 10 today.
I really wanted to send to everyone on the list especially those on
receive only as I was on receive only last year because I'd been very ill.
To be sensible, although I really want to do it I realise my budget won't
allow me to send to everyone on the list.
I've decided I'll send to everyone I know who posts on rpca. Plus
BlueBird. Although I don't know her, she is ill, just like I was last
year.
And a few on receive only. Please excuse me if you don't get a card from
us this year, I hope to do better next year. Sorry.

Postage for as many international cards as on the list is a lot of money.
From Sweden it's just as bad, even slightly more and no special Christmas
card price either like we get for domestic cards.
don't worry about not sending cards, it's not about making anyone feel bad -
enjoy the cards you get, we understand.
Best
Lena

--
lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se | cats' pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old December 7th 05, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

don't worry about not sending cards, it's not about making anyone feel bad -
enjoy the cards you get, we understand.

Exactly. I've caught a lot of hell for not joining the list /last
year/-- (I didn't because I was ill and either un-or under-employed all
year, and knew I couldn't send anything)--you do what you can, you
enjoy what you get, you are understanding to those who cannot send or
cannot send to everyone.

I caught a small break...In Canada, if you are sending more than $5 in
cards out of the country and you bring the cards to point of mailing
for stamps, you do not have to pay taxes on the stamps. (If you want
to buy out of country stamps and put them on at home, you have to pay
the taxes to take the stamps home with you...but if you put the stamps
on the cards right there at the post office, no taxes for prices over
$5.)

--Fil

Old December 7th 05, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

I am sending a few off day by day. It's really shocking how much overseas
postage is for each card. 68p. I sent 10 today.
I really wanted to send to everyone on the list especially those on receive
only as I was on receive only last year because I'd been very ill.
To be sensible, although I really want to do it I realise my budget won't
allow me to send to everyone on the list.
I've decided I'll send to everyone I know who posts on rpca. Plus BlueBird.
Although I don't know her, she is ill, just like I was last year.
And a few on receive only. Please excuse me if you don't get a card from us
this year, I hope to do better next year. Sorry.

Tweed

Actually I believe you are on the list as "receive only". You didn't
respond to my call for the list but you've had a tough year and we
thought you deserved cards from anyone who felt like sending them. There
are a number of people that we add to the receive only list because we
want to remember them. Personally, I save all of my lists and if someone
falls off the list one year they get a card from me regardless.

Julie
who is working on cards and hopes to have them sent this week

Old December 7th 05, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ups.com...

don't worry about not sending cards, it's not about making anyone feel

bad -
enjoy the cards you get, we understand.

Exactly. I've caught a lot of hell for not joining the list /last
year/-- (I didn't because I was ill and either un-or under-employed all
year, and knew I couldn't send anything)--you do what you can, you
enjoy what you get, you are understanding to those who cannot send or
cannot send to everyone.

*WHO*!??? Who gave you hell for not joining???! Never mind, I don't want
to know.

Hey, people do as they can, and not everyone is in the same situation at the
same time and that's *NOBODY'S* fault!

This time of year is about giving to those who haven't got - *NOT* about
what you receive in return.

Getting cards from all over the world is a kick. But the real reward for me
is thinking up my "storyline", gathering pictures of my cats from the past
year, creating the cards, and going to the post office with cards to over a
*HUNDRED* friends (??!??) [forgive me, but having grown up as a shy geek,
having even *ONE* friend is a big deal to me].

Those of us here who can't afford cards and postage, or who are in a
situation where they can't get out to purchase cards or postage, well it
seems to me that those are the people who most need the lift receiving cards
can give. I applaud Tweed for recognizing that fact and sending first to
those on the "receive only" part of the list first.

I don't even keep track of who has not sent me a card, I just get a thrill
out of each card I do get and looking at all those cards decorating my stair
rail knowing that I've never had this many friends before or have ever felt
such a sense of belonging and camaderie as I do in this group!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 7th 05, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I am sending a few off day by day. It's really shocking how much overseas
postage is for each card. 68p. I sent 10 today.
I really wanted to send to everyone on the list especially those on
receive only as I was on receive only last year because I'd been very ill.
To be sensible, although I really want to do it I realise my budget won't
allow me to send to everyone on the list.
I've decided I'll send to everyone I know who posts on rpca. Plus
BlueBird. Although I don't know her, she is ill, just like I was last
year.
And a few on receive only. Please excuse me if you don't get a card from
us this year, I hope to do better next year. Sorry.

Don't stress yourself about it, Tweed.

If you wanted to, you could always send out the rest of hte cards during the
year as you could afford it. Whilst getting holiday cards are lovely,
getting a surprise card in the mail for no reason other than friendship is
also very special.

Just a thought,

Yowie

Old December 7th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Enfilade" wrote in message
ups.com...

don't worry about not sending cards, it's not about making anyone feel

bad -
enjoy the cards you get, we understand.

Exactly. I've caught a lot of hell for not joining the list /last
year/-- (I didn't because I was ill and either un-or under-employed all
year, and knew I couldn't send anything)--you do what you can, you
enjoy what you get, you are understanding to those who cannot send or
cannot send to everyone.

*WHO*!??? Who gave you hell for not joining???! Never mind, I don't want
to know.

I was deeply surprised to hear that too. Its *very* un-RPCA like. However, I
do hope that if it was a regular he or she was just having a bad day or
something and wouldn't be saying such things if they were feeling more like
themselves.

I don't even keep track of who has not sent me a card, I just get a thrill
out of each card I do get and looking at all those cards decorating my
stair
rail knowing that I've never had this many friends before or have ever
felt
such a sense of belonging and camaderie as I do in this group!

Exactly. I too was a shy geek who was even teased at school for having no
friends. I *love* getting the cards, but even more, I love sending the cards
out, especially to people like Bluebird and Norma Munday who may not post
here much, but aren't forgotten.

Yowie

Holiday Cards jmcquown Cat anecdotes 1 December 2nd 05 05:18 PM
Email Holiday Cards! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 14 December 13th 04 04:21 PM
Holiday cards Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 6 December 4th 04 02:12 AM
Holiday Cards Away - YAY! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 14 November 28th 04 02:50 AM
Holiday Cards! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 14 December 11th 03 03:18 AM