Abelard is home, safe, in his bed

Old December 24th 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Abelard is home, safe, in his bed

Pat they make a fence top that over hangs so a animal can't get over the top
either from the outside or inside

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

"mlbriggs" wrote

IMHO It is time to teach that wanderer to be a house cat.

He'll be one as soon as we move to town. They'll all be house (and small
yard) cats. I plan to build a 7' solid cedar privacy fence around the
backyard, with an electrified wire around the top of the fence. The boards
will be attached at the bottom to railroad ties set on a shallow trench
filled with limestone gravel, so they won't be able to dig under the fence
either.

Old December 24th 05, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

"mlbriggs" wrote

IMHO It is time to teach that wanderer to be a house cat.

He'll be one as soon as we move to town. They'll all be house (and small
yard) cats. I plan to build a 7' solid cedar privacy fence around the
backyard, with an electrified wire around the top of the fence. The boards
will be attached at the bottom to railroad ties set on a shallow trench
filled with limestone gravel, so they won't be able to dig under the fence
either.

This is just wonderful. Perhaps after hurting himself so badly, Abelard
will not mind staying closer to home. I know you will feel better with him
safe.

Old December 24th 05, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"NMR" wrote

Pat they make a fence top that over hangs so a animal can't get over the
top either from the outside or inside

Who makes it? And do you think it might be less costly and simpler to
install than a strand of wire, a few nail-in plastic insulators and the $20
1 mile charger I already own? Also, how does it look?

Old December 24th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

any lumber store carries them all it is an over hang pre cut you can done
one by making a board places at an angle that they can jump up on or over
or if they climb it blocks there way

For me the wire and electricity always makes me nervous if the animals gets
caught in it they can get a good burn or worse

"NMR" wrote

Old December 24th 05, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"cybercat" wrote in

IMHO It is time to teach that wanderer to be a house cat.

He'll be one as soon as we move to town. They'll all be house (and small
yard) cats. I plan to build a 7' solid cedar privacy fence around the
backyard, with an electrified wire around the top of the fence. The
boards
will be attached at the bottom to railroad ties set on a shallow trench
filled with limestone gravel, so they won't be able to dig under the
fence
either.

This is just wonderful. Perhaps after hurting himself so badly, Abelard
will not mind staying closer to home. I know you will feel better with him
safe.

I don't know that he'll be any safer in the house as long as I have to keep
Eli in as well. I've been looking to rehome Eli and having no luck.

It's beyond me how Gloria thinks she will get someone else to stay in this
place, given the condition it's in (and even if she was of a mind to fix it
up, it sure ain't worth the trouble), but if she does find someone, and if
they turn out to be a cat lover without cats, perhaps Eli can remain on the
farm.

Old December 24th 05, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"NMR" wrote

any lumber store carries them all it is an over hang pre cut you can
done one by making a board places at an angle that they can jump up on or
over or if they climb it blocks there way

I've never seen such a thing and can't imagine how it might look. I don't
even know what to search for on Google so I can see a picture!

Old December 24th 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 23:17:47 +0000, NMR wrote:

any lumber store carries them all it is an over hang pre cut you can done
one by making a board places at an angle that they can jump up on or over
or if they climb it blocks there way

For me the wire and electricity always makes me nervous if the animals gets
caught in it they can get a good burn or worse

Actually, if it's installed properly it's safe for the kitties. If it's
mounted close enough to the wooden fence a cat wouldn't be able to get a
paw stuck. And they're very effective. A kitty only needs to get bitten
by the wire once, then will remember to stay away from it.

Old December 25th 05, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote

It's entirely likely that he got bitten by another cat. Tiger showed
very similar symptoms when he got bitten by anither cat on his tail - I
thought he had broken it. It was very, very sore to the touch (he
actually bit me me when i touched it) and took about a week and some
antibiotics to clear up.

Get Ableard checked over by the vet anyway - if it *IS* a bite wound,
you don't want an absess.

Glad the errant wanderer is home!

I hope a bite is all it is. He was licking at it today and let me peek - I
saw a wound, maybe half an inch long and about an eighth of an inch wide,
very dark red....

Old December 25th 05, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:36:15 -0600, Pat wrote:

"NMR" wrote

any lumber store carries them all it is an over hang pre cut you can
done one by making a board places at an angle that they can jump up on or
over or if they climb it blocks there way

I've never seen such a thing and can't imagine how it might look. I don't
even know what to search for on Google so I can see a picture!

Suggestion: Make certain they are "legal" in your town. MLB
Old December 25th 05, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

I've never seen such a thing and can't
imagine how it might look. I don't even
know what to search for on Google so I