What is it about mousies?

Old September 1st 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default What is it about mousies?

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores
most other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a
tiny mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these
mousies? (She's only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it
scared her!) So what's up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

This is just a theory, right? Cats have a hunting instinct. Even
if Persia is afraid of "real mousies" this pretend one lets her be
brave enough to be a real killer. Like Evelyn posted earlier, her
cats loud meows are the noise they make when they have real prey.
It's displaced hunting instinct.

The only toy mousie Boyfie took any interest in (forget the
catnipped filled and the ones that actually look like toys) was a
little one that I bought that actually looked like a real one. I
put in on the rug and waited until he came in. He spotted it
immediately, sprang on it and flipped it into the air. When it
landed, he smelled it and declared it BORING. Not a real one, you
see.

Tweed

One fall a real mouse got into my apartment and (for whatever
reason) fell dead in the kitchen... trust me, it wasn't my cooking!

LOL!

Boyfie offers a virtual holiday to Persia to the UK, here where the
vermin are. To look at real mowsies and ratties and learn to
virtually catch them To go outside without fear of traffic or
predators.
Fortunately the terrier men have been over today and most of the big
ratties are gone. Phew.
That is providing it is okay with his wink-wink, Mimi, who is his one
and only love.
What say you, Persia? Fancy teleporting over for a look at real
mousies and ratties? I will help you.

Boyfriend

Um... I think Persia said meant the toy mousies have little seeds or
something in them that make them rattle. Not Rats!! She'd rather not,
but
thanks for the invite, Boyfie!

Ah, well, maybe another time.

Boyfie

Old September 1st 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Irulan" wrote in message
My Lily absolutely loves the little 1-inch mousies that come in a bunch.
I will give her one at a time and after 5 minutes it disappears. I guess
she
shoves it down the basement stairs, under the oven, under the
refrigerator,
under closet doors. And unless I go hunting for them they will stay there
until cleaning day which isn't often. PetSmart once had a sale on these
and I bought about 10 packages of 8 mousies each, and she only gets
one at a time because if I give them to her more than that the entire
bunch will be gone in no time at all.

Lily's mama

Molly likes those when she absolutely has to stay inside. (She prefers real
mousies, and bugs and anything else that moves or twitches)

When we first brought her home, we kept her in for several weeks. Also it
was November and we keep them both in more when its cold or wet out. In the
first two weeks she must have retrieved two dozen mousies that Jake had lost
and given up on. He's bigger and a bit lazy. She could go places and reach
places no cat had reached before.

Jo

Old September 2nd 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:45:25 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

mlbriggs wrote:
[quoted text muted]

I think it's rabbit fur. Don't tell me she wants a rabbit! LOL

Jill

She apparently wants the "real thing"/ MLB
Old September 2nd 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

mlbriggs wrote:
[quoted text muted]

I think it's rabbit fur. Don't tell me she wants a rabbit! LOL

She apparently wants the "real thing"/ MLB

But she's afraid of real mice! I'm not, but I'd rather not have them in my
house, thanks. G

Old September 2nd 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

jmcquown wrote:
Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores most other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a tiny
mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these mousies? (She's
only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it scared her!) So what's up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

One of the recent favourites here is a cable tie tied into a loop.
Miranda especially likes it. It's like a string, her all-time favourite,
but more durable.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores most
other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a tiny
mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these mousies? (She's
only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it scared her!) So what's
up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

Jill

Don't know, but Stinky's most favoritest toy was always mousies,
particularly the extra-realistic ones. He loved those before he ever saw
a real mouse, and became an accomplished real mousie-catcher. I always
suspected he thought that the real ones were just some kind of super-upgrade
of the toy ones. :P

Theresa

Old September 4th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Sep 1, 5:55 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores most other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a tiny
mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these mousies? (She's
only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it scared her!) So what's up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

Jill

I ran out of the mousies that Rita likes to chew up, so she's started
playing with the other ones,
The ones that look more fake. Those are the ones that she carefully
puts into her crunchy food
bowl. I also found *three* of them in my bed this morning.
But by far, her favorite toy is the feathers and bell on a string on a
stick. She gets the ball of
feathers into her mouth and hangs on for dear life, looking around for
a place to take it so I won't
pull it away from her. She seems to forget that it's attached to the
stick in my hand! *giggle*
I've tried to take a picture of that look, but as you well know, she
runs away when the camera
points her way.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old September 7th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

jmcquown wrote:

Persia goes absolutely nuts over little toy mousies. She ignores most other
toys (except for her catnipped filled "sock"). But just show her a tiny
mouse toy and she goes berserk. What is it about these mousies? (She's
only ever seen one real mouse in her life and it scared her!) So what's up
with this particular toy that gets her going?

Jill

Soncek used to love his toy mousies. But now for quite a while he
ignores them. Maybe I should hide them for a few weeks so that he can
rediscover them?
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek