Peticure & Other Stuff

Old July 7th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mare

Default Peticure & Other Stuff

On Jul 7, 10:28 am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:
"Mare" wrote in message

On Jul 7, 9:15 am, "Charleen Welton" wrote:
EEEEK, UMass Amherst! My older daughter, a high school senior at the
time,
was invited to a Halloween party there to which I drove her and her
friends
would drive her back. I insisted on walking her to her friend's room.
Well
that was the famous Halloween Party of the early 1980's. I'm not easily
rattled but saw things that knocked my socks off! Who'd a thunk! My
gracious and other things! What an experience. It was a historical event
for sure.

It's gotten so much worse, Charleen. If the Patriots or Red Sox win a
national
championship, the state police are called in with riot gear to quell
the destruction.

That answers my question to Charleen. For goodness sakes, what happens when
they lose?

Worse! When the Sox played the Mets in (I think) 1986 and LOST THE
WORLD SERIES (because of a certain
Sox player who's taken enough heat), the rioting was fierce. As a
side note: I named my
Siamese after the Mets player who caused the Sox to eventually lose
(Mookie Wilson - 'cuz my cat was a WINNER!).
Anyway, now there are security cameras all over the place, so if
somebody tosses a beer bottle at a cop
(or worse, his horse or dog), heads roll, suspensions are given and
the parents pay.

Mare
Old July 7th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Mare" wrote in message

[...]

I was wondering about that-- I am, I hesitate to admit to you, a diehard
Mets fan, and Mookie Wilson is dearly beloved here. Mookie Wilson could
conceivably never pay for another meal for the rest of his life here.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 7th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

There's lots more, but I'll save it for another time. My question is,
have any of you used the Peticure grinding tool for claws yet?

I'd be interested in hearing testimonials about it, too. I've seen ads
on TV about it, and I'm intrigued. My cats hate having their claws
clipped.
Roxy lets me do a few - usually I can get one paw done before she squirms
out of my grasp. Smudge lets out loud wails and squirms so hard that
there's
no way to hold her. And I don't even *dare* to try it with Licky. He
wouldn't
hurt me, but he might be traumatized by it.

Welcome back!

Stinky put up with it for years, but he recently just decided "Wait--
you're sticking needles in me every day, and you're gonna clip my claws
TOO?? Lady, I love you, but up with this I will not put. Leave me some
dignity, babe!" And I'm inclined to agree with him, except that his claws
have to be clipped.

And Dante is just a very difficult shape to get hold of-- big and round--
and slippery, when he wants. Ridiculous creature.

So, yes, I'd also be interested in hearing anything people have tried that
works.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Snip, snip ... Anyway, Woodgie lets me clip her toenails, but is always
afraid I'll cut too close. I tried filing hers once - she'd watched me file
my nails once or twice and knew that what the emery board was for, but she
didn't seem to care for the filing anymore than the snipping - less, in
fact. So I'm wondering about the Petticure myself...
^..^

Kathy and Woodgie

Old July 7th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default More Massachusetts stuff (was: Peticure & Other Stuff)

Mare wrote:

I work on the Amherst campus and live in Hadley. You wouldn't
recognize the place now, Joyce.

I worked in Hadley at one time - Hardee's hamburgers. (A fast-food chain
in the US east coast area, don't know if they're still around.) This was
30+ years ago, btw, but I remember that job very well.

So many new buildings have sprouted up it's looking more & more like a
city. Can't say I'm
happy about that. Do you remember that old stone barn near the tennis
courts (the ones next to Goodell)?

Heh, I don't even remember Goodell. I remember very little about the
campus.

But I guess if you're on an alum list, they've been looking for you to
give them dollars,and you probably know all of this already!

Since I graduated from UMass Boston, most of the info I get is about
that campus - I almost never hear anything about Amherst.

But hey! The cats' don't care! They're just happy to greet you at
the door when you come home!

Here comes the can opener!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 7th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mare wrote:

For goodness sakes, what happens when
they lose?

Worse! When the Sox played the Mets in (I think) 1986 and LOST THE
WORLD SERIES (because of a certain Sox player who's taken enough heat),
the rioting was fierce. As a side note: I named my Siamese after
the Mets player who caused the Sox to eventually lose (Mookie Wilson -
'cuz my cat was a WINNER!).

gasp TRAITOR!!

I'm not even a sports fan, but even I watched the World Series in '86.
I remember the players crying because they had come *so close*.

Anyway, now there are security cameras all over the place, so if
somebody tosses a beer bottle at a cop
(or worse, his horse or dog), heads roll, suspensions are given and
the parents pay.

Thank god! I mean sheesh, it's just a *game*.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 7th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
Mare wrote:

For goodness sakes, what happens when
they lose?

Worse! When the Sox played the Mets in (I think) 1986 and LOST THE
WORLD SERIES (because of a certain Sox player who's taken enough heat),
the rioting was fierce. As a side note: I named my Siamese after
the Mets player who caused the Sox to eventually lose (Mookie Wilson -
'cuz my cat was a WINNER!).

gasp TRAITOR!!

I'm not even a sports fan, but even I watched the World Series in '86.
I remember the players crying because they had come *so close*.

Don't expect sympathy from me! In that famous game 6, the Mets players saw
in the Sox dugout that the cocky young Roger Clemens had already showered,
shaved, and gelled his hair to get ready for the post-game TV interviews.
This got them fired up and -- well, the rest is history.

Anyway, now there are security cameras all over the place, so if
somebody tosses a beer bottle at a cop
(or worse, his horse or dog), heads roll, suspensions are given and
the parents pay.

Thank god! I mean sheesh, it's just a *game*.

--
Joyce ^..^

But Joyce, you COME from Sawx Nation! You've gotta know it's more than
that!

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 7th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

wrote in message

I'm not even a sports fan, but even I watched the World Series in '86.
I remember the players crying because they had come *so close*.

Don't expect sympathy from me! In that famous game 6, the Mets players saw
in the Sox dugout that the cocky young Roger Clemens had already showered,
shaved, and gelled his hair to get ready for the post-game TV interviews.
This got them fired up and -- well, the rest is history.

But didn't somebody drop a ball at a crucial moment? I think that was
Clemens, but I'm not sure. I thought that was the losing error.

That's funny about the prep for the media. Of course, I have no memory
of that - being sports-impaired, I had my hands full doing remedial
baseball-watching.

Thank god! I mean sheesh, it's just a *game*.

But Joyce, you COME from Sawx Nation! You've gotta know it's more than
that!

Can't you say that about just about any place? Including, say, just
as an example, New Yorkers??

I can understand getting emotional about a game, but riots, I really
don't get it.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 7th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

wrote in message

I'm not even a sports fan, but even I watched the World Series in '86.
I remember the players crying because they had come *so close*.

Don't expect sympathy from me! In that famous game 6, the Mets players
saw
in the Sox dugout that the cocky young Roger Clemens had already
showered,
shaved, and gelled his hair to get ready for the post-game TV
interviews.
This got them fired up and -- well, the rest is history.

But didn't somebody drop a ball at a crucial moment? I think that was
Clemens, but I'm not sure. I thought that was the losing error.

Well, sort of. It wasn't Clemens, and it wasn't a dropped ball. The first
baseman let a ground ball go through his legs, allowing the winning run to
score. But for us Mets fans, there's more to it than that. It was the
sight of Clemens's cocky behavior that got them fired up and determined not
to give up and let the Sox triumph, especially on their home field. The
Mets started applying offensive pressure that forced that error.

You're in deep waters, here.

That's funny about the prep for the media. Of course, I have no memory
of that - being sports-impaired, I had my hands full doing remedial
baseball-watching.

Thank god! I mean sheesh, it's just a *game*.

But Joyce, you COME from Sawx Nation! You've gotta know it's more than
that!

Can't you say that about just about any place? Including, say, just
as an example, New Yorkers??

You don't know many Sox fans, do you?

Of course it's true, but Sox fans are famous for their intensity, and for
the rivalry with the hated Yankees.

It's a little different here. We are a two-league town. Boston used to be,
but that's another story. Baseball fans here are divided between the
National League (Mets) and American League (Yankees). The entire New
England region-- Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode
Island, Maine-- is like a town with a single church-- the Red Sox. That's
why it's called Red Sox Nation.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 7th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

But didn't somebody drop a ball at a crucial moment? I think that was
Clemens, but I'm not sure. I thought that was the losing error.

Well, sort of. It wasn't Clemens, and it wasn't a dropped ball. The first
baseman let a ground ball go through his legs, allowing the winning run to
score.

Yeah, OK. I thought it was something like that. I don't remember the
details all that well. The two memories that stand out most a Mets fans
giving me a bad earworm, and Wade Boggs crying on camera when the 7th game
was over.

You're in deep waters, here.

Agreed. My opinions about baseball aren't worth very much, I'll be the
first to admit.

Can't you say that about just about any place? Including, say, just
as an example, New Yorkers??

You don't know many Sox fans, do you?

Well, my family used to be fans, but that was a long time ago. They're
not religious about it, though. My sister, now living in Florida, is a
baseball nut, but has become a Braves fan.

It's a little different here. We are a two-league town. Boston used to be,
but that's another story. Baseball fans here are divided between the
National League (Mets) and American League (Yankees). The entire New
England region-- Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode
Island, Maine-- is like a town with a single church-- the Red Sox. That's
why it's called Red Sox Nation.

You're the first person I've heard use that term. That should give you
an idea of how tuned in I am to sports-fan vernacular. Think of yourself
as Einstein having a conversation about physics with Forrest Gump.
(Or baseball, for that matter.)

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 7th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

When you drive north from NYC in the summer time, at night, and you make
stops at gas stations, or eating places, there's a point in Connecticut
where you don't hear the Mets or Yankees game on the radios anymore. It's
the Red Sox game -- solidly all the way north. That's Red Sox Nation.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net