Kitty likes to go sliding

Old December 16th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Kitty likes to go sliding

This is a short (1 minute) video of a kitty taking full advantage
of a well-varnished hardwood floor:

http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overl...ugh-tough.html

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 16th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
This is a short (1 minute) video of a kitty taking full advantage
of a well-varnished hardwood floor:

http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overl...ugh-tough.html

--
Joyce ^..^

Oh that's Maru!! There's a whole series of vids of him on YouTube, sliding
into (and through) boxes. Check out that crazy, stripey tail. And his
almost perpendicular haunch splayage.

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old December 16th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:

Oh that's Maru!! There's a whole series of vids of him on YouTube, sliding
into (and through) boxes. Check out that crazy, stripey tail. And his
almost perpendicular haunch splayage.

I love that deliberate *splay* at the end of each slide. And he reminds
me so much of Caliban. That's just the sort of thing he might do.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old December 16th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

Marina wrote:

And he reminds
me so much of Caliban. That's just the sort of thing he might do.

That's exactly what I was thinking while I was watching it.
--

Wayne M.
Old December 16th 08, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

This always reminds me of this story, from 1998:

Vicky wrote:
Shmogleberry lived in a pokey 2 bedroom flat for most of his life, and so
took great advantage of all the extra space to run around in when we moved
to a large house.

The main bedroom, lounge, dining room and kitchen are all reasonably lined
up, so Shmogleberry could run full speed from one to the other. He can
really get up some speed! (Since the flat was small, he couldn't really get
a decent run without having to make some very sharp, speed reducing, turns)
The Kitchen has a lino floor, and since it was winter when I moved, I put
some small mats down in the kitchen so I didn't get cold feet. He very
quickly discovered that if he got some speed up and then jumped onto the
mat at the start of the kitchen, his momentum would allow him to "surf"
across the lino, using the mat as a board.

At one point, he got up to much speed, he discovered a law of
thermodynamics: once you are moving, its hard to stop! THUNK! head first
into the far wall of the kitchen. He let out a rather surprised "ow!" (as
you would) and stopped to give himself a good grooming - which he always
does when he's done something stupid. I thought he'd learnt his lesson by
getting a fairly good smack in the head.

Alas, at some hideous hour of the morning, we were woken to the sounds of
boomba, boomba, boomba (sound of cat hurtling through empty house,
approaching speed of light), sweeeeeeeeeee..... (sound of mat sliding on
lino)....THUNK sound of insane fluffy projectile being suddenly stopped by
unforgiving wall). We had just managed to doze off, when - Boomba boomba
boomba, sweee..., thunk. just enough time to go back to sleep boomba,
boomba, boomba, sweeee..., thunk. enough time.. boomba, boomba...etc.

I caught him at it later the next day - he came screaming out of the
bedroom, landed on the mat, and then put his head down so the wall would
collect him on the flat bit between his ears. Almost like he was a charging
bull. I guess it caused him the least amouunt of pain.

Although I know El Moggo is probably the most cunning & coniving creature
I've met, I also know he can be remarkably thick.

Story of the Circling Cat some other time...

Old December 16th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Marina wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:

Oh that's Maru!! There's a whole series of vids of him on YouTube, sliding
into (and through) boxes. Check out that crazy, stripey tail. And his
almost perpendicular haunch splayage.

I love that deliberate *splay* at the end of each slide. And he reminds
me so much of Caliban. That's just the sort of thing he might do.

I think that it's a toss-up as to which end of a cat is cuter.

Buster is so funny when he sticks half his body under the couch and
thinks he's hiding. Whatever he's up to, you can always picture it
being accompanied to a laugh track.
Old December 16th 08, 09:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Vicky wrote:
Shmogleberry lived in a pokey 2 bedroom flat for most of his life, and so
took great advantage of all the extra space to run around in when we moved
to a large house.

[snip]

Thanks for reposting that. I didn't join RPCA until '99, so I didn't see
this the first time around. It sounds like Shmogg actually came to enjoy
getting whomped on the head!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 16th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
This is a short (1 minute) video of a kitty taking full advantage
of a well-varnished hardwood floor:

http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overl...ugh-tough.html

--
Joyce ^..^

Those wacky Japanese kitties! I swear, the Japanese love to video their
cats more than anyone in the world. And their cats have got to be the
funniest around

Jill

Old December 19th 08, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gabey8

Hey, all, long time, no see!

I am laughing so hard at this thread, between the videos and the Shmogg
story, that I'm wiping tears away.

Here's another Maru video that I found, thanks to reading the comments
posted on the first vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzNl6NKAG0

LMHO

Harmony (RB) used a stack of newspapers to go sledding on the carpet once.
We have recycling in Philadelphia, and that includes newspapers. We could
put newspapers out for collection in paper bags, once every two weeks. In
anticipation of a recycling day, I had several days' worth of newspapers
stacked by the front door, awaiting the time when they'd be put in a paper
bag and set out.

Well, Miss Harmony the Spoiled found the stack of newspapers. I'm still
not entirely sure what possessed her to do this, but she took a running
jump and landed on the stack of newspapers. Her momentum caused her to go
sliiiiiiding across the front of the room, leaving a trail of newspaper
behind her.

Wow! What a great game! Another running jump onto what remained of the
newspaper pile... SLIIIIIIDE off in another direction on more newspaper.

Lather, rinse, repeat. And repeat. And repeat. I was laughing so hard, I
was crying. I also got to describe Harmony's antics to a deaf friend, with
whom I was conversing via TTY (or TDD, or Text Telephone, depending on whom
you ask) when Harmony discovered newspaper-tobogganing. It's a good thing
that I was able to TYPE what was going on, because I was laughing so much
that my speech would have been unintelligible.

Harmony kept going until the stack of newspapers was pretty much
nonexistent, and the entire floor of the front of the living room was
layered in newspaper. Crazy kitty.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutpets.com/group/r...ats.anecdotes/