cat wound

Old December 13th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob

Default cat wound

"Lulu" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi Bob,
So sorry to hear your cat was injured. The injury sounds as if she was
chased, caught from behind and possibly
pinned down at the haunches but was able to struggle free. My cat
escaped a coyote attack in a new subdivision
where we had just moved into a newly built home. A large dog could do
the same thing. My cat had tears through her skin so that flaps of
skin showed the flesh bare underneath. They were about a quarter in
size as you described.

Lulu, thank you for the info.

Your cat will be lethargic because she is bruised and sore.

When I say "lethargic" she's not very lethargic, just slightly compared to
her normal playful self. And she seems much better Mon/Tues. I'm closely
watching her.

Does the cat have a fever? You can tell easily if her head is hot and
she won't
eat or drink.

She eats and drinks plenty, not a problem. She'll now let me pet her again,
she doesn't feel any warmer than my housecat. I don't believe she has
infection/fever. I believe she's just recovering from the trauma of the
incident. I'm suspicious of 1 of 3 things as the cause: (1) another cat (2)
raccoon (3) big dog. (there is a refuge behind my unit with a few raccoons).

If no fever there is no infection. If the wounds are
healing on their own, there is no pus and no fever, your beautiful
creature will recover with some peace, quiet, dimly lit room, and TLC.
If you have the funds, I would take her to the vet to rule out internal
injuries with Xray. Other than that just trust in Nature's ability to
heal her own.

I have the funds to take her to the vet, just dont' want to do it if she's
ok. If she shows any sign at all of problems, I will take her in. She's 3yr
old and has 2 siblings (1female, 1male) that she sleeps with on a pet
carrier on my patio all her life, she sleeps with them last 3 nights as
usual, lets me pet her again. I'm thinking she's fine.......

bob

Old December 13th 06, 09:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

bob wrote:

She eats and drinks plenty, not a problem. She'll now let me pet her again,
she doesn't feel any warmer than my housecat. I don't believe she has
infection/fever. I believe she's just recovering from the trauma of the
incident. I'm suspicious of 1 of 3 things as the cause: (1) another cat (2)
raccoon (3) big dog. (there is a refuge behind my unit with a few raccoons).

Cats will bite other cats in the spine near the tail because it's an
easy way to induce systemic infection and kill the other cat. Most
likely, she was fighing another cat for territory.

I have the funds to take her to the vet, just dont' want to do it if she's
ok. If she shows any sign at all of problems, I will take her in. She's 3yr
old and has 2 siblings (1female, 1male) that she sleeps with on a pet
carrier on my patio all her life, she sleeps with them last 3 nights as
usual, lets me pet her again. I'm thinking she's fine.......

Cats are stoic by nature and will hide their illness. Keep a close eye
on the wounds - most cat wounds are infected by anerobic bacteria
(those not requiring oxygen) so the bacteria will continue to eat away
at the tissue long after the wound is healed over - an abscess under
the skin results and it can easily become systemic. If it were me, I
would take the cat in to the vet for a shot of antibiotic and pick up
some Amoxicillin tabs to mix in canned food for her. Cat bites are
serious and infect easily. If you decide not to take her in, look for
hair loss in a circular pattern around the wound. It may or may not
turn red and/or swell. Any seeping bite wound can be cleaned once (and
only once) with peroxide, but should be treated by a vet asap.

-L.

Old December 14th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

bob wrote:

She eats and drinks plenty, not a problem. She'll now let me pet her
again,
she doesn't feel any warmer than my housecat. I don't believe she has
infection/fever. I believe she's just recovering from the trauma of the
incident. I'm suspicious of 1 of 3 things as the cause: (1) another cat
(2)
raccoon (3) big dog. (there is a refuge behind my unit with a few
raccoons).

Cats will bite other cats in the spine near the tail because it's an
easy way to induce systemic infection and kill the other cat. Most
likely, she was fighing another cat for territory.

this sounds like it might be it.

[...]

i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel like
she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..

bob

Old December 14th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

bob wrote:

i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel like
she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..

bob

If she ran a fever she would probably act sick - hide and sleep,
mostly. The look of the wounds is important.

-L.

Old December 15th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

bob wrote:

i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel like
she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..

bob

If she ran a fever she would probably act sick - hide and sleep,
mostly. The look of the wounds is important.

took her to the vet today. he said it was abscessed and a "little infected"
but not too bad. he gave her a shot and gave her an antibiotic pill to give
for a week, he thought it would heal up ok but wants to see her in a week.
now I'm glad I took her in.

bob

Old December 15th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

bob wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

bob wrote:

i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel like
she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..

bob

If she ran a fever she would probably act sick - hide and sleep,
mostly. The look of the wounds is important.

took her to the vet today. he said it was abscessed and a "little infected"
but not too bad. he gave her a shot and gave her an antibiotic pill to give
for a week, he thought it would heal up ok but wants to see her in a week.
now I'm glad I took her in.

Good for you! I'm glad you took her in, too, since it sounds like it
could have gotten worse.

Good luck with the pills!

Rhonda

Old December 15th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

bob wrote:

took her to the vet today. he said it was abscessed and a "little infected"
but not too bad. he gave her a shot and gave her an antibiotic pill to give
for a week, he thought it would heal up ok but wants to see her in a week.
now I'm glad I took her in.

bob

Good for you! I hope she heals up quickly.

-L.

Old December 16th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob

"Rhonda" wrote in message
bob wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

bob wrote:

i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel
like
she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..

bob

If she ran a fever she would probably act sick - hide and sleep,
mostly. The look of the wounds is important.

took her to the vet today. he said it was abscessed and a "little
infected" but not too bad. he gave her a shot and gave her an antibiotic
pill to give for a week, he thought it would heal up ok but wants to see
her in a week. now I'm glad I took her in.

Good for you! I'm glad you took her in, too, since it sounds like it could
have gotten worse.

Good luck with the pills!

i crush the pills and stick it in soft food- she gobbles it right up.
fingers crossed, so far, so good.

bob