Fatass update...

Old June 6th 05, 02:34 PM

Default Fatass update...

Greetings all,

1st thanks for all of the kind replies. I have joined the Yahoo CRF
board and have been cruising the tons of CRF websites - all very
helpful.

Fats is now on her 5th day of liquid therapy, no issues with giving the
sub Q injections - I am used to using needles and she tolerates it
fine.

She still is not eating much. The presciption stuff has not been
touched, neither the modified or k/d, dry or canned. I mixed it
together with other food that she used to eat, and it remains
untouched.

Over the last few days she has eaten maybe 3/4 of an ounce of wet food
(meow mix pouches) and about 15-20 pieces of Pounce tartar control
salmon treats. Since this is not even close to the 250-300 calories a
cat needs, I have also been giving her some nutrigel supplement. This
is the stuff that comes in a toothpaste tube. She doesn't eat, it, I
wipe a blob of it in her mouth in the morning and at night.

I know it is early in the fluid therapy, and her appetite may retun in
the next week or so. If not, I am going to suggest to my vet to
prescribe some Cypro and see what her thoughts are on giving a 1/4 tab
of pepcid to help settle Fatty's stomach.

As usual, otherwise the cat is happy and social and looks like the
picture of health, although a bit bony if you pet her. (she is down to
9 lbs - I know this is not bad, but this was an 11-12 pound cat just a
year ago.)

What do you think? Should I be force feeding more food (I could shove
some of the wet k/d in her mouth if I had too, I think), or wait it out
another couple of days to see if the appetite returns?

Bluesman

Old June 6th 05, 04:25 PM
Karen

I'd sure try force feeding her. You could make a real slurry of the kd with
water and use a force feeding syringe, (vet should give you one.). That's
too little for too long a time.

oups.com...

Old June 6th 05, 04:30 PM

I think I can get by without the use of a syringe. I picture that
going all over the place. If I put Fats in my lap, open her mouth with
one hand and use the roof of her mouth to scrape the food off my finger
with the other hand, I think it will work, and be less messy.

The canned k/d is practically slurry as it is. I think it is 83% water
or something.

Thanks,

Bluesman

Old June 6th 05, 04:39 PM

If your cat is not eating the prescription food, for now give her what
she will eat. It is more important that she eat *something* and do it
now so she doesn't develop hep[atic lipidosis. You can try canned Innova
light, which is lower in phosphorus and a good compromise. Go to
http://www.naturapet.com to find a store where you can buy it. You can
also look at this list to compare foods and find one with lower
phosphorus levels that your cat will eat:
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old June 6th 05, 05:23 PM
Hopitus

Megan what do you think of that nutritive stuff in a tube, some kind of
high-calorie tasty paste I've seen others say they put in mouths of cats
that won't eat? Is it worth giving to Fatass?

Old June 6th 05, 05:35 PM

Megan what do you think of that nutritive
stuff in a tube, some kind of high-calorie
tasty paste I've seen others say they put
in mouths of cats that won't eat?

That would be Nutrical.

Is it worth giving to Fatass?

It certainly wouldn't hurt at this point. IIRC it's about 30 calories
per teaspoon.

Old June 6th 05, 06:09 PM

Yup, Nutrical is what I am using now twice a day. It is brown malty
looking stuff - seems to be full of nutrients. The tube says if the
cat isn't eating, to give her 3 1/2 inches of the stuff, 1 1/2 inches
of it for supplement.

I also have another tube of stuff called Energel. She won't take that,
either, but the gels are easy to stick in her mouth without falling all
over the place.

Bluesman