HELP! CAT WANTS TO BE OUTDOORS

Old February 15th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default HELP! CAT WANTS TO BE OUTDOORS

We added a kitten to our home, already have an older cat who is
strictly indoors. The new one refuses to stay indoors - runs by you in
a flash to get outside. My problem with this is he does not come back
for days on end. He has been doing this now for several months and
looks ghastly! Not to mention I don't want fleas or whatever else
brought in my home. Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I am tired
of guarding the door everytime we let our dog out!

Old February 15th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

strictly indoors. The new one refuses to stay indoors - runs by you in
a flash to get outside. My problem with this is he does not come back
for days on end. He has been doing this now for several months and
looks ghastly! Not to mention I don't want fleas or whatever else
brought in my home. Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I am tired

Can you put him in another area not close to the door when you're going to
take your dog out? How old is he? I can't imagine a little kitten leaving
for days on end. Is he an older kitten?

NanCe

Old February 16th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Is he neutered? If he isn't, that is probably why he keeps taking off.
Unaltered males can smell unaltered females from miles away. That leads to
wondering and fighting. Neutering him will help with the straying,
spraying, chances of Felv and FIV.

Old February 16th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Sorry, but you have to guard the door. Pretend it's your child that
always wants out but you know it's too dangerous out there-- you'll find
a way to keep him in.

If there's something you could do to scare him a bit and not scare the
dog, clapping your hands if he comes near for instance, maybe stomping a
foot. I know one person who keeps a kitty toy by the door and throws it
down the hall when she opens the door.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old February 17th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
We added a kitten to our home, already have an older cat who is
strictly indoors. The new one refuses to stay indoors - runs by you in
a flash to get outside. My problem with this is he does not come back
for days on end. He has been doing this now for several months and
looks ghastly! Not to mention I don't want fleas or whatever else
brought in my home. Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I am tired
of guarding the door everytime we let our dog out!

It's simple: Block the door when you enter the house, and shoo the cat away
when you open the door from insie the house. You can also put the cat behind
a door when letting the dog out.