Cat Rejecting Microchip??

Old September 19th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Ross Mc Master

Default Cat Rejecting Microchip??

An 11 year old cat who was microchipped 10+ years ago seems to be
rejecting the chip. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
The (edited) email I recieved is below.

I noticed a lump by Archie's "shoulder blade"...
days later he lost his hair there, the size of a palm!

So I took him in today.
His microchip has been working it's way to the top of his skin as it
seems like his body is rejecting it. This has been probably going for
quite awhile!

Poor guy, must of been at the very least, itchy.

So on the weekend, or Monday, they are going to remove it.
Some stitches and then antibiotics for a bit, but very minor is seems.

So send some good thoughts his way for a speedy recovery!
Old September 19th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sandy[_2_]

Rebecca's first chip came out, but in her case I think it wasn't inserted
well to begin with because it was within a couple of days.

Foreign objects do travel in the body. I'm not sure that always means the
body is rejecting them, though.

Sandy

Old September 20th 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Sandy typed:
[...]

Most times if a foreign object is inserted into a mammalian body, the body
attacks it with its immune system. If the object can't be (easily)
destroyed, the body then tends to coat it with a bunch of tissue, in effect
making a mammalian pearl. This is why you can sometimes feel a lump around
them. But sometimes the body does actually manage to push out foreign
objects many years after they were inserted. Its not unheard of that people
pull out broken needles, glass, metal splinters etc etc *years* after having
them go under the skin, and often quite a ways from the original insertion
point. So no, its not out of the question for the cat to be rejecting his
microchip - although it does suggest it wasn't placed correctly the first
time.

Yowie
(Having pulled out a peice of glass from my husband's chest, without having
any idea how it got there - it just sort of 'erupted' in much the same way
the microchip came out of your cat)

Old September 20th 10, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
An 11 year old cat who was microchipped 10+ years ago seems to be
rejecting the chip. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
The (edited) email I recieved is below.

I noticed a lump by Archie's "shoulder blade"...
days later he lost his hair there, the size of a palm!

So I took him in today.
His microchip has been working it's way to the top of his skin as it
seems like his body is rejecting it. This has been probably going for
quite awhile!

Poor guy, must of been at the very least, itchy.

So on the weekend, or Monday, they are going to remove it.
Some stitches and then antibiotics for a bit, but very minor is seems.

So send some good thoughts his way for a speedy recovery!

Purrs are on the way.

I hadn't heard of that before, but now I wonder. A few years ago, Nanki-Poo
(RB) developed a large, nasty sore on the back of his neck. He obviously
had been digging at it, and the vet was sure it was caused by fleas. I've
been very conscientious about using Advantage or Frontline for years, and
back when my cats used to have fleas, I was bitten too, so I was sure it
wasn't fleas. Eventually, after much treatment, it cleared up. Some time
after that, I started wondering about his chip and, sure enough, when they
scanned for it, it was gone. I had another one implanted, and a few months
later, he developed the same kind of sore on his back. Who knows?

Joy

Old September 20th 10, 06:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

THe only substance that is known to virtually never be rejected, by
humans, at least, is titanium.

There is no reason why micro chips could not be encased in very thin
titanium.

The cost of the titanium would be less than a dollar, and the added cost
of making a microchip encased in titanium would be less than $3 more, to
add the titanium, I am certain.

But, they are not used in humans, 'just' in cats and dogs, and the
profit on them is simply enormous: they only cost a few dollars to make
each one. Why would the manufacturers want to do ANYTHING that would
DECREASE their enormous profits??

And, that is why they are encased in plastic, rather than titanium: the
money.

Always, the chief motivation is: the money. ALWAYS.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:30:30 -0700, "Sandy" wrote:

Rebecca's first chip came out, but in her case I think it wasn't inserted
well to begin with because it was within a couple of days.

Foreign objects do travel in the body. I'm not sure that always means the
body is rejecting them, though.

Sandy

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
.. .
An 11 year old cat who was microchipped 10+ years ago seems to be
rejecting the chip. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
The (edited) email I recieved is below.

I noticed a lump by Archie's "shoulder blade"...
days later he lost his hair there, the size of a palm!

So I took him in today.
His microchip has been working it's way to the top of his skin as it
seems like his body is rejecting it. This has been probably going for
quite awhile!

Poor guy, must of been at the very least, itchy.

So on the weekend, or Monday, they are going to remove it.
Some stitches and then antibiotics for a bit, but very minor is seems.

So send some good thoughts his way for a speedy recovery!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100919-1, 09/19/2010
Tested on: 9/20/2010 12:27:53 AM

Old September 20th 10, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sandy[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,

snipped

Yowie
(Having pulled out a peice of glass from my husband's chest, without
having any idea how it got there - it just sort of 'erupted' in much the
same way the microchip came out of your cat)

The mind boggles!

Sandy

Old September 20th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

this is how we found out about trudi being full of beebees, the one that
worked itself out took six years, Lee
"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Sandy typed:
[...]

Cat rejecting microchip?? John Ross Mc Master Cat health & behaviour 1 September 20th 10 01:38 PM
Microchip James Cat health & behaviour 0 October 25th 08 06:20 PM
Microchip question AKT Cat health & behaviour 52 August 28th 08 05:44 AM
Should I microchip my pussy? James Cat health & behaviour 7 August 8th 07 03:13 PM
Microchip question faielyne Cat health & behaviour 4 November 15th 04 01:21 PM