Someone Lost a Bird

Old October 20th 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Someone Lost a Bird

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Where I live there is a listserv - a fairly antiquated method of
communicating with people who live on Dataw. Yesterday evening we got
this:

"If anyone happens to see a Blue and Gold Macaw down around the fitness
center please let me know. This bird is not supposed to be able to fly,
but obviously she can."

Uh oh! It sounds to me like someone was pet sitting and left the door
open. One should never assume birds can't fly. I got some of my best pet
birds (parakeets) as a kid because someone made that assumption.

Macaws are extremely expensive tropical birds. I wouldn't want to be the
one who has to explain ooops, I lost your Macaw.

Jill

Maybe they lost their own bird? Perhaps they clipped its wing feathers and
forgot they grow back. I'm not in favour of clipping wings of parrots so
they can't fly. All birds are born to fly and should be able to do so.
It's not acceptable (for me) to clip a parrots wings so that it can only
walk about the house. It's along with declawing. My opinion only, feel
free to disagree and argue the point.

Tweed

Old October 20th 15, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:39:06 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if I'd do that, I suspect not, but declawing is permanent
and clipping isn't as someone found out.
Old October 20th 15, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I was right, the woman was pet sitting. Fortunately the Macaw came
back, safe and sound. I offered her a few suggestions such as sitting
outside calling to it by name (they're very smart birds) and also
tempting it with some sunflower seeds.

And no, clipping feathers is absolutely not the same as declawing. You
only clip the tips of the flight feathers on one wing. Clipping that
way still allows them to fly, just not very far. Birds molt; their
feathers grow back. All my birds were allowed to fly around the house
if they wanted to. Just don't leave the door open.

Jill
Old October 20th 15, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

We had parakeets when I was a youngster. They were free to fly around
the house for long periods of time. My father took a picture of me
while I was doing my homework, and the parakeet perched on the side of
my eyeglasses.

MaryL

Old October 20th 15, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

My parakeet Buddy pecked at my eyeglasses. He also used to like to play
with the chain I wore around my neck. I grew up with birds so I know a
bit about them. And yes, they flew around the house.

Jill
Old October 20th 15, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, wing-clipping is not permanent, I have to agree. But why are these
wonderful birds disabled by this so they can be pets? and just walk around?
Birds need to fly. IMHO.
BTW, don't have a Macaw unless you've made arrangements in your will for
someone else to take it on after you die. They can live for up to 80
years.

Old October 20th 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I agree that arrangements should be in a will, but I even think that
should be done for *any* pet, regardless of expected lifespan. I have
provisions in my will for Duffy, Selina and Nikki.

MaryL

Old October 20th 15, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have anything in my will, but my kids live relatively nearby,
and will be handling my estate when the time comes. They are both
animal people, cats in particular, so I know they'll see that whatever
cats I have at the time get the best possible care.

Joy
Old October 21st 15, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Ok, wing-clipping is not permanent, I have to agree. But why are these
wonderful birds disabled by this so they can be pets? and just walk around?
Birds need to fly. IMHO.

You don't clip all their feathers. Just the flight feathers on one
wing. They can still fly, just not very far. All my birds were allowed

Old October 21st 15, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/20/2015 6:02 PM, MaryL wrote:
I agree that arrangements should be in a will, but I even think that
should be done for *any* pet, regardless of expected lifespan. I have
provisions in my will for Duffy, Selina and Nikki.

MaryL

No arrangements had been made by Buffy's former owner. Turns out there
were three cats, SuzQ, Buffy and Frankie. Fortunately when the woman
died a friend of hers went to the house every day and took care of the
cats. (I got the feeling she wasn't really a cat person.) Someone
adopted SuzQ but, for reasons never made clear, they returned her.

I adopted Buffy and she's an absolute joy.

I don't know where SuzQ and Frankie wound up. I do know the woman got
tired of taking care of the cats. I think she found someone else to
take them on a temporary basis.

What would happen to Buffy if I dropped dead tomorrow? I don't have it
in writing but my friend who lives next door would take her.

Jill

Cat Lost in Kankakee County - Lost from Topono Kennel in Momence, Illinois July 2, 2007 [email protected] Cat anecdotes 1 October 2nd 07 12:16 AM
Cat Lost in Kankakee County - Lost from Topono Kennel in Momence, Illinois July 2, 2007 [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 October 1st 07 09:51 PM
Wash Post: Lost Cat, Lost Heart [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 June 9th 07 01:41 AM
Bird Mognusticat Cat anecdotes 6 July 7th 05 10:08 AM
I think my cat wants to eat my bird! Help! Kafren120 Cats - misc 4 February 19th 04 04:10 PM