Asking for discounts - inappropriate?

Old March 16th 05, 08:23 AM
Mike

Default Asking for discounts - inappropriate?

Is it inappropriate to ask a veterinarian for a discount on
vaccinations/treatments for multiple (3-4) cats? Without a discount
it's going to cost $390-$500. All but one of these cats are strays. I
was told that this vet hospital doesn't give discounts although
someone told me they gave them a special deal on Frontline and
Advantage. I don't expect to get the discount, but I don't see where
it could hurt to ask and explain why I'd like one. But if that's
inappropriate then I don't want to ask. I just don't know what to do.

I was also thinking that if the doctor won't give a discount that I
could ask them to consider giving certain groups of people a discount
in the future. I think people on low income, disabled, and senior
citizens should at least get a discount. I think something like 10%
off everything with the exception of pet foods would be good. Each
month they offer a 10% discount for certain things such as flea
products, bloodwork for senior pets, dental care, etc. So, I don't
think giving certain groups a 10% discount is going to hurt business
any. I think if anything, people would end up spending more or getting
more done for their pets since they'll have the extra money to spend.

What does everyone think?
Old March 16th 05, 08:38 AM
-L.

Mike wrote:
Is it inappropriate to ask a veterinarian for a discount on
vaccinations/treatments for multiple (3-4) cats? Without a discount
it's going to cost $390-$500. All but one of these cats are strays. I
was told that this vet hospital doesn't give discounts although
someone told me they gave them a special deal on Frontline and
Advantage. I don't expect to get the discount, but I don't see where
it could hurt to ask and explain why I'd like one. But if that's
inappropriate then I don't want to ask. I just don't know what to do.

It's never inappropriate to ask. Tell them about your circumstances -
that all but one were strays. Most vets will discount to keep your
business.

I was also thinking that if the doctor won't give a discount that I
could ask them to consider giving certain groups of people a discount
in the future. I think people on low income, disabled, and senior
citizens should at least get a discount. I think something like 10%
off everything with the exception of pet foods would be good. Each
month they offer a 10% discount for certain things such as flea
products, bloodwork for senior pets, dental care, etc. So, I don't
think giving certain groups a 10% discount is going to hurt business
any. I think if anything, people would end up spending more or

getting
more done for their pets since they'll have the extra money to spend.

What does everyone think?

Some vets do this already. Other don't. You might just want to try to
find one that does. Where are you located?

-L.

Old March 16th 05, 02:23 PM

Mike wrote:
[...]

Of course, ask for a discount. You don't know till you try, and worst
that can happen is he/she says no. *Especially* since they are strays.
My vet is either a soft touch for a rescued animal, or he feels sorry
for me and gives me the crazy cat lady discount on stray animals. After
all, they know I'm eventually going to home the stray, and send the vet
records along with it. New owner is likely to return to the same clinic
for further vet care, and the vet ends up getting a new client out of
the deal.

Sherry

Old March 16th 05, 03:44 PM
KellyH

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Is it inappropriate to ask a veterinarian for a discount on
vaccinations/treatments for multiple (3-4) cats? Without a discount
it's going to cost $390-$500. All but one of these cats are strays. I
was told that this vet hospital doesn't give discounts although
someone told me they gave them a special deal on Frontline and
Advantage. I don't expect to get the discount, but I don't see where
it could hurt to ask and explain why I'd like one. But if that's
inappropriate then I don't want to ask. I just don't know what to do.

My friend's vet (too far a way for me, or I would use them too) gives her a
group discount if she brings two or more cats in at a time.
My old vet used to only charge me one exam fee if I brought two cats in at
the same time. They stopped doing that, one of the reasons I stopped going
there, besides other issues.
The current vet will give a "rescue" discount if it's a stray you took in or
are trying to find a home.
So, like others said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 16th 05, 04:43 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-16, Mike penned:
Is it inappropriate to ask a veterinarian for a discount on
vaccinations/treatments for multiple (3-4) cats?

[snip]

What does everyone think?

The worst they can say is, "No."

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 16th 05, 05:51 PM
Mary

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Is it inappropriate to ask a veterinarian for a discount on
vaccinations/treatments for multiple (3-4) cats? Without a discount
it's going to cost $390-$500. All but one of these cats are strays. I
was told that this vet hospital doesn't give discounts although
someone told me they gave them a special deal on Frontline and
Advantage. I don't expect to get the discount, but I don't see where
it could hurt to ask and explain why I'd like one. But if that's
inappropriate then I don't want to ask. I just don't know what to do.

I love to haggle. There is no harm in asking. In my book it is immoral
NOT to get the best deal you can. Wasting money when so many
people and cats and other creatures are needy should be a crime.
Therefore it is your moral imperative to ask if he can cut you a deal.

Old March 16th 05, 06:11 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Every vet that I've been to gives a discount for multiple pets.
Unfortunately, the number at all of the offices was 3 or more, and I've only
got 2. I remember one office said that a discount would be offered on all
regular checkups/shots only if all of the animals were brought in at the
same time.

When we first got our two cats for work, their first regular vet visit was
at a cats-only practice. They gave me a one time discount since it was out
first visit, but nothing after that. Since they're very pricey, it was a
significant savings. They only charged for the office visit for one of the
cats, which saved something like $80-$90. That's excluding the cost of the
vaccinations!

--
Liz

Old March 16th 05, 09:40 PM
Steve G

On 2005-03-16, Mike penned:
Is it inappropriate to ask a veterinarian for a discount on
vaccinations/treatments for multiple (3-4) cats?

[snip]

What does everyone think?

The worst they can say is, "No."

Ah, but although the worst they can say is 'No', the worst they can do
is to plunge a hypodermic full of rabies vaccine into your eyeball,
while simultaneously pouring a gallon of fluorescein down your throat
and stuffing stool samples in your ears. Plus they may conceal a Deadly
Dwarf Attack Ninja in your bag of Prescription Nuggets so that the next
time you feed Fluffy, you'll be swimming in your own guts before you
can say 'Cool! A Deadly Dwfra Attack Ninja'[1].

Steve.
[1] In your excitment, you'd mispronounce 'dwafr'[2]
[2] Welsh for 'dwarf'.

Old March 17th 05, 01:10 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-16, Steve G penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

The worst they can say is, "No."

Ah, but although the worst they can say is 'No', the worst they can do
is to plunge a hypodermic full of rabies vaccine into your eyeball,
while simultaneously pouring a gallon of fluorescein down your throat
and stuffing stool samples in your ears. Plus they may conceal a Deadly
Dwarf Attack Ninja in your bag of Prescription Nuggets so that the next
time you feed Fluffy, you'll be swimming in your own guts before you
can say 'Cool! A Deadly Dwfra Attack Ninja'[1].

Steve.
[1] In your excitment, you'd mispronounce 'dwafr'[2]
[2] Welsh for 'dwarf'.

Please tell me there's a context to what you just typed and that it didn't
just spring full-formed from your head ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 17th 05, 02:16 AM
Mary

On 2005-03-16, Steve G penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

The worst they can say is, "No."

Ah, but although the worst they can say is 'No', the worst they can do
is to plunge a hypodermic full of rabies vaccine into your eyeball,
while simultaneously pouring a gallon of fluorescein down your throat
and stuffing stool samples in your ears. Plus they may conceal a Deadly
Dwarf Attack Ninja in your bag of Prescription Nuggets so that the next
time you feed Fluffy, you'll be swimming in your own guts before you
can say 'Cool! A Deadly Dwfra Attack Ninja'[1].

Steve.
[1] In your excitment, you'd mispronounce 'dwafr'[2]
[2] Welsh for 'dwarf'.

Please tell me there's a context to what you just typed and that it didn't
just spring full-formed from your head ...

The latter. It's the absolute best part of Steve G., at least
that I have ever seen. I think it might be a combination
of early influences including but not limited to: Monty Python.