Do pets really remember?

Old December 4th 03, 06:37 AM
Hans Schrøder

Default Do pets really remember?

"Ablang" wrote in message

Are they (cats & dogs) able to remember? Let's hear your story supporting
this.

Cats remember, indeed!

Once in the late '70s I was sharing a house with three friends. Well, there
was one more friend, Balin, the cat which I had brought with me into the
house. We lived there together for a year or two, before we had to break up
for army service, education and all that...

None of us could take care of Balin at the time, so we had to let him stay
at another friend's flat until one of us could take him back again.

Now, this friend lived not far from my parents' place, so one evening some
two or three months later, I was walking along the street towards my
parents. I hadn't seen Balin since I moved out of the community, but I knew
that he was doing fine with our friend who took care of him.

Anyway, as I was walking down the road (a dark, chilly evening), I heard
some strong meowing behind me. I turned around, and I saw a cat sitting in
the street approx. 60 yds. behind me. I recognized the voice immediately:
Balin. He had heard my steps or seen me, or captured the smell of me, and he
wanted to see me! Of course, I went up to him, and found an extremely happy
cat who showed all signs of pure happiness, having seen me again. We sat and
"chatted" for a while, before he rose and started off towards his new home.
All the time he was looking back to see if I was following him. He wanted me
to come and see how he was living! I followed him all the way back to his
place, but I couldn't get all the way inside, because my friend was not at
home. Balin went in through the cat door, but when he realized that I
couldn't get in there, he came out again, and we sat for about half an hour
in front of the door, having a splendid time.

So, yes, cats remember very well. I am sure that he also remembered all the
times I had thrown him down from the kitchen table or other places, too, but
those details didn't seem to matter. He was happy to see me again, that's
all!

Regards,
Hans
(Norwegian guest...)

Old December 4th 03, 07:15 AM
Kuisse0002

[...]

Thats is a wonderful story. I hope the cats doing just fine at his new place.