Taking in the Outside Cat

Old November 2nd 03, 06:44 AM
PattyC

Default Taking in the Outside Cat

OK. If anyone has been reading this group for a long time, you will think I
am just gabbing and not serious.

SO, for those willing to listen, let's assume I have learned a WHOLE lot
over the last few years. IF I had realized what I now know, a lot would
have turned out differently.

BUT. I am going to start with NOW and hope I can get some thoughtful
advice. Keeping in mind, I might actually be able to accept and TAKE the
advice you might have given me a couple years ago about the mother of the
kitty I am now asking about.

So as you can tell, it started a while ago. AND to make it even more
complicated for me personally, I had 'captured' this kitty as a kitten, then
let her go. (Don't ask....I didn't *get* a lot I now get about patience
with kitties...)

Forgetting the past, the bottom line is this. I have a girl outside that I
have been feeding since she was a kitten (2 years ago). She has a little
house there and lets me rub her neck before I feed her 2 X each day. Last
year, I trapped her and had her spayed. She was terrrified of me in my
garage when I kept her there overnight, acted like she'd never known me...

So anyway. Last spring, I adopted a kitty now named Sam, who still won't
let me touch her. I keep thinking about Georgie, and loving the dear
girl,.... as winter approaches, and I've learned that one can have a cat
that is not so good with human contact (Sam was feral for 1 year), I am
wondering if Georgie couldn't live 20 years if I brought her inside.

SO. HOW? (Again, please understand that when I'd asked the same advice
about Georgie's mom a couple years ago, I didn't KNOW I did not have the
gumption to DO it. NOW, I think I could, IF I could figure out how...)

I KNOW I would need to trap her to get her inside. Then I would need to get
her tested for all things again, since all testing was over a year ago. I
guess my real question is .. IS this a good thing for her? Will she noit
adjust to the in the house thing, with the 3 other cats? Right now her
situation is... she has a cat house right outside my back door. She gets
fed 2 X per day. She gets petted daily, brieflly.

Will she adjust to hangin' inside with the other 3 kitties? All of whom
have "known" her through the screem door for a few years.

I guess it's because of having Sam, and knowing it's ok to have a kitty that
is hiding constantly, and won't let me touch her, (all a result of being
feral, I think), that makes me think I am nuts not to bring Georgie in....
God this is a hard thing to figure out. I go out of town a lot, and live
alone, so .. that's another factor...

Thoughts appreciated...

PattyC

PS. To see the outside girl, check out... Georgie... I was able to have all
3 of her kittens adopted...
http://community.webshots.com/user/pattyc4303

Old November 2nd 03, 07:46 AM
Iso

PattyC,

The only thing that comes to mind is to try it. Granted the cats have
seen each other via the sliding glass door, they hardly know each other. You
cannot force cats to like each other. Some will live with a newcomer easily,
others will never relate, or they may just manage to live alongside each
other in an uneasy truce - you can only try. However, if there is no
competition for food or safe sleeping places (as in most good homes, like
yours) then cats will accept each other eventually and some will even seem
to form close bonds with one another. Needless to say, you fully understand
what has to be done. The only way is to move ahead with moving the outdoor
cat inside is to have it inspected and its vaccinations brought up to date
by your vet. At two years of age its hard to say if you can get the "feral"
out of her; but its not going to be any easier the longer you wait. What's
the worst thing that could happen? You keep her inside for two to three
months at the minimum, and if a relationship doesn't form with the other
cats, then she goes back outside to live in her home on your porch? At least
if that happens, you know that you tried and she is up to date with her
vaccinations. Try it and see what happens. If all hell breaks loose, put it
back outside.

Iso

Old November 2nd 03, 10:56 AM
Alison

Hi Patty ,
If this was the UK where cats are normally allowed out , it's more
than likely she would start to come in on her own accord. This
happened with Kim , as I used to leave the back door open in summer,
though granted she wasn't a feral.
I understand your concerns about her being out in the winter, is
there any way you could rig up a heat bed in her cat house or could
she have access to the garage ?
This cat has survived for two years outside since a kitten , she
has shelter and food and affection .
this is the way of life she is used to , she might like her life !

--
Alison

Links to animal information websites
http://mysite.freeserve.com/petinfolinks/

Old November 3rd 03, 09:08 PM
Sharon Talbert

By all means, bring her in. Read my article, "Taming the Tiger," posted
to the Campus Cats website for some pointers on how to socialize her. She
and your new indoor cat may well become the best of friends. (Ferals tend
to be friendly to other felines.)

She may be troublesome to catch again. You may have to "chum" her in, by
wiring the door of the trap in open position, moving her food dish further
and further inside until you can set the trap. Fresh catnip doesn't hurt,
either.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscat.org